Britpack- WW2 British battlers..

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Re: Britpack- WW2 British battlers..

Post by Martin2556 »

Great to see some British tanks Roy, they look superb, my Grandad was in tanks during the Second World War, Matilda’s & Churchill’s, I remember him telling me all about them when I was a child.
I frequently pass Duxford when I’m working & see the Cromwell parked out front, I stopped recently to take some photos. :thumbup:
Attachments
20A56FAE-B664-4561-A2D7-A75824F89873.jpeg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

What a hell of a job Mr '43'rd, all too rarely seen examples of the better Western Allied tanks.
And you've executed them perfectly.
Looking like I see them in my mind to look a few days before embarking on the cross-Channel trip into legend.
Magnificent.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"SCC15 British Olive Drab (1944-45 formula) [...]an excellent MIG product." Thanks for the tip! I will see if I can get some here across the puddle. (And those are lovely Sunday morning photos. I wish I could fly there right now.)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:clap: Thanks a lot for your support and generous praise- Barry, Lee, Tom, Shaun, Ralph, Mick, Martin, Herman and you, Prof!!

It makes all the sliced fingers, glue intoxication, :crazy: hangovers, bemused couriers, and occasional howls of frustration and incredulity actually an acceptable price to pay :D :thumbup:

Oh, yes...and I found out why the Comet's otherwise flawless track movements had an issue (right-hand track would suddenly stick fast):

A big WHOOPS of an oversight. :O It's also further evidence, if any were needed, of the long gap since my last eye test (almost four years :shh: . :/
Luckily, with Covid hygiene issues catered for, I've got one booked in early June, and so the Mr Magoo moments should hopefully cease.

Anyway, problem solved!! The Comet runs fine! Yippee...Hmmmph..it went thataway! :P
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue May 18, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I'm rather looking forward to seeing one of these in a not too distant TOTM Roy :D

Maybe a TOTM special for TOTM newbies ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:What a hell of a job Mr '43'rd, all too rarely seen examples of the better Western Allied tanks.
And you've executed them perfectly.
Looking like I see them in my mind to look a few days before embarking on the cross-Channel trip into legend.
Magnificent.
That means a lot, HB. :thumbup: I wanted the tanks to look like they would have done around embarkation time. If you look closely at them, however, you will find hints of weathering (Tamiya Accent Line mostly), and Mr Surfacer 500- to give texture below the paint. In the main, though, I'm pretty sure that notwithstanding the damage from the dread Panzerfaust, most serviceable frontline tanks would have been kept in tip-top condition. Like their cousins, the Germans, the Brits (and specifically those Anglo-Saxon English) do like things kept 'shipshape and Bristol fashion'. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I'm rather looking forward to seeing one of these in a not too distant TOTM Roy :D

Maybe a TOTM special for TOTM newbies ;)
Thanks for that, Mick!. Well, hitherto, I've not considered submitting a model for the tank catwalk partly because I have so many unfinished projects, and also because some of the eye-popping entries of the past are in a class of their own (daunting masterpieces we've seen from the likes of Louis-IMCG11, Freddy, and many others).
However, I now have some 'roadworthy' examples and, as I'm fairly pleased with the Comet, I might well submit that next time around. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Speaking of missing things, looking at the pic, there's a visual note to self: to fit the hubcaps to the wheels. Again, when you're too familiar with something, it's all too easy not to see what's missing.
They're to be held on by 4mm magnets. Blu-Tak also works.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

An enviable collection there, Roy! Terrific work on all three tanks, it's great to see how far they've all come from the original kits. Any one of us would be proud to own them.

The Cromwell and Comet appear to have their muzzle brakes on perpendicularly, though. Is that due to the recoil mounting?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Raminator wrote:An enviable collection there, Roy! Terrific work on all three tanks, it's great to see how far they've all come from the original kits. Any one of us would be proud to own them.

The Cromwell and Comet appear to have their muzzle brakes on perpendicularly, though. Is that due to the recoil mounting?
:D No, Dan, it's just down to last-minute twist adjustments to ensure getting an even paint coverage on the barrels when airbrushing. I could twist them through 90deg, but I thought I'd give the driver a nice whiff of cordite (or whatever the shell propellant was :D ). In the event that I fit the barrel smoke feature to the Comet, it will look quite novel. :thumbup: I also need to replace one of the Comet sidelights that broke off when the upper hull was inverted. But these things can wait.

Return to “Show Off”