One more r/c Tamiya Kubel

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
EddyK
Sergeant

One more r/c Tamiya Kubel

Post by EddyK »

Last December I’ve got an unbuilt Tamiya Kubelwagen:

I’ve decided to make something different - it’ll be European Kubel on the gelande tires:

First I’ve widened the rims:

Comparison:

Family photo with brothers :

43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: One more r/c Tamiya Kubel

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

They're as good as can be, Eddy :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In the 70s VW resurrected the Kubel,
They marketed it in the USA primarily in California (Where else) as the VW Thing!.
I was in a NATO Unit in Germany at the time and as part of an Equipment Evaluation team we were asked by VW if we would take one on trial.
One Monday morning into the lines came this gray, too tall, canvas topped vehicle,
Our German WO1 did something I had never seen before, He started laughing which got to the point of tears rolling down his face, He begged to be excused and disappeared into his office still roaring with laughter.
We really had no idea what to do with it, It was taken on a trip through the exercise area over ground that did not merit engaging 4wd in a Landie and promptly bogged down, after that it was used as a hack for picking up the mail and taking Soldiers to and from the Airport ,
No matter how we cajoled or threatened the Sgt Major he would not go near it, and one day it was gone,
Someone suggested VW should sell it to the Russians to go with the WW2 vintage German motorcycles they had in service in the Soviet Army.
I would have been more insulting toward it at the time except behind the REME Workshop was a Bedford QL Rebuild that first entered service in 1943,
On the really cold winters mornings it was the only truck guaranteed to start,
It would be hooked up to a Qtr of a million Deutchmark's worth of Mercedes Heavy Recovery truck and tow it around the transport company until the Merc started.
Then it would be parked up till the next cold morning :clap:
Great work Eddy, It is good to see that your efforts have produced such nice looking models.
I have a Tamiya Kubel still in its box waiting for me to find some time to assemble it. :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
EddyK
Sergeant

Post by EddyK »

Thanks!
Some details added:

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Very cool, nice work. I like the more muscular look of those tyres aswell. You have a cool collection.
May i ask where did you source those tyres from?
Also if you have no need for those orginal tamiya tyres i could do with purchasing a set of those as the 3D printed Kubelwagens i working on, i only have balloon tyres for.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Smart work my friend :)
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Great work as usual Eddy :clap: very nice addition to your collection :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
EddyK
Sergeant

Post by EddyK »

Thanks, gentlemen!
Will01Capri wrote:Very cool, nice work. I like the more muscular look of those tyres aswell. You have a cool collection.
May i ask where did you source those tyres from?
Also if you have no need for those orginal tamiya tyres i could do with purchasing a set of those as the 3D printed Kubelwagens i working on, i only have balloon tyres for.
I bought these tires at eBay.com, a guy from Russia was selling them. I saw the listing there last week, but now it’s missing... You can try after some days to find them, just write 1/16 Schwimmwagen tires in the search.
As for the stock Kubel tires - I have a couple kits of them and one kit of the narrow Schwimmwagen tires from the Eduards kit... I just don’t know what to ask for them, so I’m opened for the offers...
EddyK
Sergeant

Post by EddyK »

Some more work done...

EddyK
Sergeant

Post by EddyK »

One more detail made:

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”