Land Rover Centaur

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Land Rover Centaur

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi all
I was asked to put this on the forum by a fellow modeller, I got bored earlier this year and wanted to build something from my past that is quite unique and holds some fond memories, Back in the early eighties my company had prototype no 3 of these vehicles and fitted a 20mm gun system on the bed and then had a lot of fun flying around a couple of our local quarries trying it out and testing the stability of the system. Sadly the army never took this version up but we had a lot of fun trying it out.
I started with a "Brittians" 1:16 plastic land rover, a Tamiya tracked motor kit, 10mm square plastic Tube and a varity of plastic card.
Removed the body from the Land rover and cut across the bed at mid point of the rear wheel arch.
Assembled the Tamiya Tracked drive kit and tweaked it's length and width to suit. using 10mm Square Plastic Tube constructed a new chassis and then fitted the Tracked drive unit to the chassis.
Plastic welded the Land rover body onto the new chassis and started filling in the missing gaps with plastic card panels and sculpted to suit the body shape (rear bed extensions is actually made up from seven different panels for each side).
A new front axle was made from brass and steered using a micro servo under the bonnet.
The wheels are from the original Brittians model and the radio, 5amp ESC and motor/gearbox are fitted under the bed at the rear.
The battery at the moment is located under the crate on the rear bed but I might move it into the cab if I decide to build a different variant.
Up till now she has gone anywhere I wanted it to with ease, The scale speed is a bit down on the actual speed but I might try a different gear ratio to up that a bit after I've finished playing with her. I'm also going to change the idlers for bigger ones to emulate the actual size of the proper ones for a more scale appearance, The build was more for fun to start with but now seeing how it turned out I've got to tweak it to do the model justice.
Ohh as for the female soldier Know idea who she is just appeared whilst I was taking the photo's but she had a rifle so didn't argue. :haha:
front quarter.jpg
Other front Quarter.jpg
Rh side.jpg
rear quarter.jpg
photo bombed.jpg
under bed radio and drive train.jpg
Centaur multi launch rocket unit.jpg
This variant was no 6, I might try this for a change and see if the battery can be hidden under it.
Hope this give you other idea's for future builds and enjoy.
opp's you said get off the road
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Land Rover Centaur

Post by Will01Capri »

Awesome. Sooo Cool. That is a beast for sure
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät