Torro/WSN M16 Half Track.

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Torro/WSN M16 Half Track.

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I have had this for a loooong time. It has been sitting on a shelf waiting for me to be in the mood to put it all together. I bought a replacement elmod board but was stuck with the receiver. There is not a lot of space and the ones for my FlySky would just not fit. The only one I had that would go in was the Planet 5 receiver, but this was in in my Tiger. I finally got around to replacing the Tiger receiver, freeing up the Planet 5. I have now managed to get the elmod board fitted together with the receiver and everything works. After a fashion. Turret and guns perfect. Steering works as does the acceleration. Only problem is they are both backwards. I.e. Stick left, it turns right. Stick forward, it moves in reverse. Now had this been the FlySky Tx, no problem, just reverse the channels, but so far as I can see, this is not possible with the Planet 5.

Anyone got any ideas?

I won't post any photos at the moment. It was the first vehicle I tried weathering and it looks terrible. Once I have managed to get it to an acceptable standard, I will consider some pics.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Torro/WSN M16 Half Track.

Post by jarndice »

Hi Richard,
A couple of things, Have you configured the card in your "Elmod" board ? and "Elmod" have a very helpful help line which is worth checking out.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Richard,

I had a similar issue and we (me and ElMod) discovered an error in the manual.

I received this email reply from Thomas at ElMod.

Hello Barry,

I see the problem! There seems to be an error in the manual. The motors are swapped! As you can see on the bottom side of the PCB, the connector to which you attached the LEFT motor is labeled „RIGHT“. Please just swap the connectors and run the motor setup again.

Best regards,
Thomas

Hello Barry, again.

I just seen that on the second page, where the information is relevant, the description is correct. Just take a look into the manual. I’m going to fix the error on the connectors overview..

Best regards,
Thomas
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

BarryC wrote:Richard,

I had a similar issue and we (me and ElMod) discovered an error in the manual.

I received this email reply from Thomas at ElMod.

Hello Barry,

I see the problem! There seems to be an error in the manual. The motors are swapped! As you can see on the bottom side of the PCB, the connector to which you attached the LEFT motor is labeled „RIGHT“. Please just swap the connectors and run the motor setup again.

Best regards,
Thomas

Hello Barry, again.

I just seen that on the second page, where the information is relevant, the description is correct. Just take a look into the manual. I’m going to fix the error on the connectors overview..

Best regards,
Thomas
Thanks all for the info. Unfortunately, the M16 is a single motor drive and only has one connector. It would seem the best way to proceed is to swap over the pins in the connector plug. Regarding the steering, I can only think of using a servo reversing cable, though I shall have to decide how to fit it, as I have said, there is not a lot of spare room.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Hi Richard,

I think on the T5 if its anything like my T7 you should have a small plastic window under the right side gimbal. If you pop the cover off there should be a set of channel reverse switches....

Regards

Robert
You can never have too many tanks...... :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

KTRob wrote:Hi Richard,

I think on the T5 if its anything like my T7 you should have a small plastic window under the right side gimbal. If you pop the cover off there should be a set of channel reverse switches....

Regards

Robert
Thank for that. Bingo! I had wondered in the past what that was covering, but never removed the cover to find out :crazy:
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I probably was not thinking too clearly yesterday. After I got everything working, albeit with the problems with the throttle and steering, I put everything back together. Today, as per above, I tracked down the correct channel for the steering, reversed the channel and it's fine. Still have a problem though. I have no sound at all and no drive to the tracks. I discovered previously that the drive would not work until the engine had been started. Without any sound that is difficult to do. I think I must have damaged some of the wiring whilst reassembling things. Hopefully it is just one of my solder joints that has broken.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Opened it up and switched everything on. L2 did not light up, indicating a sound problem. I removed and replaced the sd card and L2 lit up. Tried to start the engine and that worked. However, the moment I tried the throttle, it shut down. Now when I switch it on, L1 and L2 come on, then after a short while, L2 starts blinking. According to the manual this is either a communication problem or faulty hardware. All suggestions as to what I do next to try and fix this will be most welcome.
Richard
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I was going to say about the location of the channel reverse switches, it was one reason why I liked my Planet when I had it, it was a doddle to reverse channels. You may not know that they are no longer made, and that receiver prices have risen as a result. It's a shame as they are excellent radio's.

You could check the wires on the channel plugs, I have had these become detached at solder joints behind heat shrink etc which took ages to track down. Try wiggling them and see what happens with the lights.

Did you use the Elmod SD card? They provide decent quality ones with a fast read speed, the Ebay jobbies are usually cheap because they can't handle high data transfer speeds, and often mess up RC tank sounds as a result on the boards that use them.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

The card is the one that came with the board. I will check out the wiring for loose/broken joints.
Richard

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”