Tamiya Toyota Celica Rally Car 58096

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Tamiya Toyota Celica Rally Car 58096

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I have one of the above, purchased back in the early 1990s. Whilst waiting for some bits for a tank I wondered whether it still worked. It had never really been run certainly not in the last 20 years. I decided to change the rc equipment from the old Acoms twin channel to my 2.4 ghz tx. Surprisingly the battery took a charge and everything worked. I had to play around with stick modes and channel connections. I could not get precisely what I wanted but near enough. To my eyes the speed control is very basic . Reading up, it is a 3 speed forward and reverse, achieved by use of a ceramic resistor and servo operated slider. It is very crude and I am wondering whether this could be replaced with a modern speed controller. This is right out of my knowledge range so any help welcomed. If need I can take some photos.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Re: Tamiya Toyota Celica Rally Car 58096

Post by rochesb »

You should be able to swap the speed controller for a modern electronic one, I bought a couple of car ESC for my King Tiger for use with an Open Panzer board. The ESC was only £8 from HobbyKing, link below.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-x ... tore=en_us
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I had one of those old speed controllers in a boat I bought once. I pulled it out, plugged in a modern esc and it worked just fine. I threw the old one away...and then someone told me that they are collectors items and that I should have put it on Ebay. The antique RC fraternity desire these for authenticity apparently?
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

The current controller seems to have the power to the receiver feeding from it. The one linked by rochesb does not seem to have this. How do I power the receiver?
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

I have recently resurrected my old Taisan Starcard Porsche Gt2 TA02SW kit which I originally built with my father and brother back in the mid 90s.
Now runs full new electronics and 2.4ghz. Great to have it running again. It started RC for me but time when I was a kid. It will never be sold. Still a beast to this day. Spent £600+ on it when I was a kid and it was fast.
There are still a lot of people selling parts for these so should be ok, although prices can be steep. Good luck with it
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Is it one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tamiya ... SwV~VaNElz

If no one here knows the answer, you could always ask someone who is selling one on Ebay?

I suspect the the receiver needs a battery to power it, though as to the voltage...I haven't a clue. If you get stuck I'll ask Simon, he usually knows the answer to this sort of thing.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

The speed controller has BEC circuitry to eliminate the need for a separate receiver battery. The ESC has a three pin cable which carries the radio signal and power for the receiver. If you look again at the link I sent, the 5th photo (from the left) shows a 3 pin plug, a Tamiya style battery connector & an on/off power switch. ON this particular controller the white lead is signal, the red is +5V and the black is -5V

You will need to check the pins in the plug are in the correct order for your radio, they are easy to pop out of the plug & swap around if necessary.

It's a pretty bog-standard ESC, there are lots of similar products available. As far as I am aware, most R/C receivers will operate on a 5V-6V supply, nowadays most if not all ESC seem to include the facility to dispense with a separate radio battery using a BEC(BEC = Battery elimination circuit)

For my R/C cars I have used these
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/modelsport ... ucts/31775

New Tamiya car kits come with this sort of product
https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/c ... 50839.html
Last edited by rochesb on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

wibblywobbly wrote:Is it one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tamiya ... SwV~VaNElz

If no one here knows the answer, you could always ask someone who is selling one on Ebay?

I suspect the the receiver needs a battery to power it, though as to the voltage...I haven't a clue. If you get stuck I'll ask Simon, he usually knows the answer to this sort of thing.
That looks like what I have.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

rochesb wrote:The speed controller has BEC circuitry to eliminate the need for a separate receiver battery. The ESC has a three pin cable which carries the radio signal and power for the receiver. If you look again at the link I sent, the 5th photo (from the left) shows a 3 pin plug, a Tamiya style battery connector & an on/off power switch. ON this particular controller the white lead is signal, the red is +5V and the black is -5V

You will need to check the pins in the plug are in the correct order for your radio, they are easy to pop out of the plug & swap around if necessary.
Thanks. That sounds the same as for my Tamiya Tiger, which does not require a separate feed.
Richard
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

I updated my earlier post with a couple of additional links ....... but the HobbyKing controllers are cheaper, also the HobbyKing controller is fine with NiCad & NIMH but wont handle 3S LIPO

I am guessing the car will have a standard Tamiya brushed motor, so make sure you buy an ESC for brushed motors

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”