1/10 4x4

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
jackalope
Lieutenant

1/10 4x4

Post by jackalope »

Looking at getting a 1/10 4x4 truck. Like the Traxxas Land Rover Defender and their Bronco. Leaning more towards the Defender just like its looks better.

Anyone have any experience with it? I'm liking its fully waterproof, 2 speed transmission and front and rear locking diffs. Everything is controled via the transmitter, transmission speed, locking diffs which can be locked independently of each other. And I do love the idea of driving in the water!

Walk around of the truck with video of it in action.

https://youtu.be/6X4LGiCyq-U
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: 1/10 4x4

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It's offroad climbing skills are truly amazing. :O I think even a mountain goat would be impressed.....before he ate it :haha: It appears to be very well made, Terry, with scope for some additions such as lights. Do they also make sound modules fro Traxxas models? A working winch should be do-able, and would give additional authenticity to the model... Nice!.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

A light kit is supposed to be in the works, looks to be plug a play, even has an extra button on the transmitter for them. No engine sounds that I've seen yet but I just started looking at this truck this past weekend. I know real winches exist and so long as its not cost prohibitive will be a mod I do. Along with the headlight kit I'll also probably do lightbars on the roof and bumper.

Hobby shop is getting a shipment Thursday and I think I'll have it Friday.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Found this video. I'm leaning towards the red one.

https://youtu.be/1W_HL4r7ifI
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Well the red one was on back order, the hobby shop got 6 in, 4 were gray Defenders 2 were thegoofy tactical versions. They came in on Thursday afternoon, Friday at 2 I go in and get the last Defender! DAMN they sold FAST! So I get it home and go to charge my 7800mah lipo annnnnd it won't charge not to mention it looks like a balloon! WTF? So in the trash it goes, crap! Grab my 5800mah lipo, throw it on the charger and good to go!

Take it outside and in high gear it'll pull the front tires off the ground! With only a 2 cell can't wait to get a 3 cell! Anyway the truck runs great for bone stock, 2 speed transmission, front and rear locking diffs work fantastic!

Stuff I don't like.
The on/off switch is inside the body meaning to turn it on or off you have to remove the body. The fix is a little $10 arm on a pivot but it should come stock.

Full light kit is $90, should come with the truck!

Beyond that it's a nice truck. Going to hit the trail tomorrow and see how it does in its element. I'll get some pics and try to get some video.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Beware! I know a bunch of tankers that after starting with 1:10 crawlers, inmediatelly sold all their armored division... And never ever appeared in tank forums again. Those cars are fun to drive and can go almost everywhere.

Regarding the ligths and sounds... Jackalope, why not to install a 20 bucks dasmikro? You can put all the lights you need. (Headlights, reverse, brake, auxiliar, beacons... Imagination is your limit!) and of course the sounds you want.

I'd stay away from that 90 bucks light unit.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

The $90 light kit plugs straight into the ESC and there is a switch on the transmitter for it. The modual for the lights is also waterproof and the rooflights have 2 levels of bright.
It's a pretty cool kit really. Includes the modual, head lights, tail lights, roof lights, and inner fender lights to light up the ground around the tires to see the ground better.

As for getting rid of my armour to be honest I'm bored with them. I've no-one around me with any tanks and no-one wants to run any of mine to battle against me. Having tanks is fun but they're pointless if you can't battle IMHO.

I'll be selling most of my stuff off, I'll keep my favorites and gifts from friends but my 251 collection, German figures, planes, electronics and a few tanks will be for sale.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

jackalope wrote:
As for getting rid of my armour to be honest I'm bored with them. I've no-one around me with any tanks and no-one wants to run any of mine to battle against me. Having tanks is fun but they're pointless if you can't battle IMHO.

I'll be selling most of my stuff off, I'll keep my favorites and gifts from friends but my 251 collection, German figures, planes, electronics and a few tanks will be for sale.
I completelly understand you... Sometimes I think about selling all my stuff just because that, I have nobody to play with... I am living in this country for near to 4 years, and never ever found any event. I tried to join RC truck events (which hardly ever occur) and I was not allowed to drive with them just because I was not driving a truck. I told them I would drive in a peacefull way, I could tow or be towed and so on... But nothing, I was rejected. And when I finally found a tank meeting at the other extreme of the country, I went there with my oldest son to join them and they told me they wont accept me just because I was not part of their club. I requested to join it and I got rejected too. They even refused to take a look to my stuff... My 5 years old son was so sad that started crying because he thought finally his daddy found some friends to play with and it ended like that. They told me to just to look to their event and to go as a visitor to next year event. All those guys running primitive heng long and tamiya electronics, man.

That day I almost threw the towel and I felt very very sad, and more foreigner that ever. It made me wonder what the hell am I doing in this country...

After bein rejected everywhere I did my own tank club some years ago and I announced it everywhere... Counting me, we are... Hum... let me count... Yep, one user, and thats me. Go and figure...
My only hope are my children, but meanwhile... But yes, thats one of the reasons I stopped my army collection and I might sell some of them too...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Sounds like you found a club of assholes! :thumbdown: I hate snobs.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Yeah you guys certainly are lucky that there are people that like rc tanks too. This is a great forum with fantastic members! However and saddly it is very discouraging when you own several thousand dollars in tanks and all they do is collect dust. Be very thankful my friends for each other and how close you all are, those of us out here in no mans land wish we could be with you.

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”