Rock Crawler

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Rock Crawler

Post by wibblywobbly »

I did buy a TRX4, lol, here it is sat awaiting various mods. I am impressed with the programming on these, takes RC trucks to a whole new level. I am toying with the idea of installing clear windows at the front, and installing an interior, and stripping the shell for a repaint. Wheel weights will also be on the cards.

My mate Simon, who owns the model shop has a wealth of knowledge, and more RC models than I can shake a stick at. I was wondering about the Lipo/Nimh choice but he advised me that they will run perfectly on an Nimh battery, a 2S Lipo is plenty good enough, and a 3S is too much for a trail truck. That was good news.

The Mars buggy is based on an FTX Mauler, which is a bargain priced crawler, it does the job really well.
Attachments
IMG_20180523_082243.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Apologies I missed where you bought the TRX4 too. A 2 cell lipo is PLENTY for the TRX4, if you stay with the Traxxas setup (battery wise) they have up to 7600mah 2 cell lipos that when you also use the Traxxas ez system for the battery and charger it's a complete fool proof lipo battery system.

Now onto the wheels, for both your Mars rover and your Land Rover pick out the beadlock wheels you like and tires. Beadlock wheels are usually 3 pieces that use a floating ring in the center that the 2 side parts mash the tires bead against locking the tires to the wheel. On that floating ring part is where you want to add weight. Look for automotive supply houses that carry stick on lead wheel weights, here locally I get mine from Harbor Freight Tools for under $5.00 for a box. Take the stick on wheel weights and stick them around the outside of that floating ring, depending upon the diameter of the ring and the design of the stick on weights you can add between 2.75oz (78gr) and 3oz (85gr) per wheel! Some wheels already start around 80gr ea. So now you're looking at adding 160+gr PER WHEEL! I do this to my wheels and it makes a huge difference in how the truck handles.

Now as for your TRX4 look for a set of 4mm output shaft extensions made by MIP. They replace the factory output shafts on each of the axle portals widening the trucks wheelbase by a total of 8mm. Also as far as it being waterproof well yes the electronics are in fact waterproof however the wheel portals, diffs, and transmission and bearings are not waterproof. The portals and diffs and transmission can all be helped by replacing the bearings for a sealed bearing kit made by Integy. These sealed bearings make it evan harder for water to get into these areas. When you disassemble the truck to add the sealed bearings and MIP extended axles get some automotive multipurpose lithium grease it's thicker then the factory Traxxas grease and will not just wash away like the Traxxas grease will. Doing these mods will also increase battery run time and make the truck quiet as a mouse as well as NOW it really is waterproof!

Not sure how far you feel like digging into your TRX4 but I've rebuilt mine now about 5 times and have turned the long wheelbase Land Rover into a Shorter wheelbase Bronco that has much smaller overhangs which allows steeper hill climbing.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

You can also look around on Ebay for your TRX4 and get a nice set of stainless steel screws (the factory black ones tend to rust).

Also you can find replacement portal covers made from brass, steering knuckles made of brass, weights to add inside the wheels also brass, diff covers brass again (diff covers are a good idea as the screws on mine were stripped from the factory) and if you plan on doing any real trail driving pick up a set of diff skid plates.

I replaced all the suspension arms with a stainless steel set that are much larger diameter, but the arms can also be had in titanium! And if it doesn't have enough long travel arm kits are out there too which adds height to the truck and increases suspension travel.

Don't crank the adjustable springs up too much, keeping the springs on the softer side allows for better suspension articulation and travel.

For tires G8 compound is unbelievable! May as well be running suction cups instead of tires.

I'm throughly enjoying my TRX4! I take it to the same trails I used to take my tanks on but I don't run it out in the open park for fear of problems with any officials. It is amazing how much the truck can drive through really is! Careful not to submerge the antenna or the truck will stop, apparently the radio does not communicate through water.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

The light kit for the Land Rover from Traxxas is FANTASTIC! Highly recommend it!

Almost forgot, the steering servo is crap! It WILL break. Mine let go and I had to go wading in after the truck. You want a SAVOX waterproof steering servo the higher the tq you can find the better! I got one that's almost 400in lbs of tq, waterproof and I added a Traxxas steel steering arm and I haven't had any problems at all anymore.

I tend to really REALLY beat on my truck just like I do my tanks.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I just fitted a Turnigy 20kg servo to the Mauler chassis, much stronger than stock, so I'll look for another one for the TRX4 as well.

Most of the accessories I can 3D print, just done a set of doorhandles, and the remote on/off switch works like a charm. Got some decent jerry cans on the printer at the moment. Need to ditch the front and rear bumpers and print some scale ones at some point, and probably move the spare wheel or take it off altogether. I've had crawlers before so know most of the tricks, but I want to try and keep this one as a scale trail truck. There is no way that I will be trying underwater driving, I can't think of a quicker way to mangle the thing. :haha:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I'm keeing mine as a scale trail truck too, all the tips I listed don't change it's looks.

If you want REAL scale looking trail truck a hard plastic Land Rover model kit quality body is available for the truck. Then you can have full interior, driver, passenger, open the hood have a detailed engine, real working WARN winch, full lighting too. I'm considering once I get back on my feet I may get the full detailed Chevy Blazer body kit for my TRX4.

Have you seen the video of mine running on the trails?
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Post up a link, I'll have a look. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jackalope
Lieutenant