Bruder low loader.

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
jarndice
Colonel

Bruder low loader.

Post by jarndice »

Just a thought for builders of the more modern 1/16 Tanks who want to add a touch of authenticity to their diorama with a Tank Transporter, If you go to AMAZON and type in "BRUDER" after a bit of scrolling you will get to a Bruder 1/16 MACK Conventional (Bonneted) tractor unit which includes a 1/16 tri-axle low loader trailer.
With very little work it could be made to look like a Volvo conventional (N Cab) Tank Transporter and there is space under the Bonnet for an IBU2 (truck) control board all for less than £80 less control board and servos. there are, excuse me, truck loads of accessories available for 1/16 Bruder trucks including lights and other detailing and much cheaper than Tamiya's similar products.
There are other 1/16 tractor units in the Bruder range such as Scania and MAN but these are Cab over/Tilt cabs which would need work to convert to Conventional's.
It has to be better value than TAMIYAS overpriced 1/14 scale trucks and separately overpriced 1/14 trailers for hauling an ABRAMS, CHALLENGER 2 or a LEOPARD and it is at the correct scale. :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Bruder low loader.

Post by Tankbear »

Great advice Shaun although I've done this conversion myself I will point out the bruder trucks need a fair bit of engineering to make drive able. Not impossible and a few companies like magom hrc do conversion kits with full working axles etc.

http://www.magomhrc.com/en/76-bruder
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Challenger2Pete
Recruit

Post by Challenger2Pete »

Hi All see attached a converted 8x4 Scania to RC done by a freind JB in Wrexham I did the paint job just need to convert & extend the lowloader trailer to take my Challenger 2
Attachments
rs 2.jpg
rs 2.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 6528 times
rs 4.jpg
rs 1.jpg
Challenger 2 Pete
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Anyone wanting to widen the Bruder Low Loader could save themselves the work if not the money by going to E-Bay where someone is selling printed extensions for the Tamiya/Bruder Low Loader trailers.
The extensions are not cheap but if it makes life easier then it might be worth it.
Talking of expense a Chinese company on E-Bay is selling the umbilical's connecting Truck to Trailer,
They are for Tamiya's 1/14 vehicles but they should be ok on a 1/16 rig,
These really are expensive and I am toying with making my own.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I’m all for tank transporters but for a Scania hauling a challenger 2 in the uk shouldn’t it be a 6x4 top line, blue and say metcalfe on?

Anyway good conversion. Look forward to seeing the full set up
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Until the British Army bought the Oshkosh Cab over Engine/Tilt Cab I was certain that the Thornycroft/Scammel replacement would be another Conventional/Bonneted Unit,
Recovering a Tank from difficult terrain is made easier with the engine out front because the trucks weight is further forward and the truck is less likely to lift its front wheels off the ground in that situation thereby losing traction in the leading driven axles,
If it is thought that the front will lift on a conventional then weights can be added to the front bumper to overcome that.A COE is not long enough for such action to be effective.
I must admit to being disappointed that ERF in Sandbach was not offered the contract they being at the time just about the last truly British heavy truck manufacturer,
As to the Scania it is alright as a left hooker but a pain in the ar*e in right hand drive, (The Range switch on the Gear Lever knob is on the drivers side of the gear lever knob so every time you go for the clutch or brake pedal your thigh rubs against the range switch which can lead to switching the range from low to high or potentially disastrously from high to low range unlike Volvo's heavies which have the range switch in the front of the Gear knob)
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

For me there’s really only one tank transport that I would build. Once I figure it out and it would have to be a WWII scammel. I may do the odd truck and draw bar low loader if it can pull it, it will do type thing that may have been adopted recovering damaged but repairable tanks but as a dedicated transport it would have to be a scammel
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Yesterday I ordered from E-Bay a Bruder Low Loader 5th wheel plate priced at £17 Freepost,
It arrived this morning!!!.
A very little trimming of the plastic on the low loader and it fitted perfectly,
Pin viced and Tapped four holes through the low loader to match the pretapped holes in the steel plate then countersunk the holes,
Using the provided countersunk screws I joined the plate to the low loader,
The King pin is included loose with its fixing screw and Nyloc nut,
The mounting plate has two pretapped holes one behind the other ready for the kingpin which allows for the kingpin to be fitted in a position most suited to the position of the 5th wheel on the Truck.
It took about 20 minutes to finish the job and it was money well spent in my opinion,
But hurry he only has 2 left :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Have you got a link for that?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi,I clicked on E-Bay then I found it by Typing-----
"Bruder low loader 5th wheel plate".
I hope that helps.

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”