My trains and forum - gardenrails.org

This section is for all of you who would like to 'show and tell' about your Trains / Locomotives - whatever the scale or gauge!

Postby tom_tom_go » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:01 pm

I run the gardenrails.org forum and we have loads going on in various scales.

Check out my YouTube channel for my work or the forum https://gardenrails.org

This isn't me advertising freely on here, I am interested in tanks as well!

Tom
Last edited by tom_tom_go on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Recruit

Postby Marco Peter » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 pm

tom_tom_go wrote:This isn't me advertising freely on here...

...said nobody ever in his fourth post on a forum haha!
Marco Peter
Corporal

Postby tom_tom_go » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 pm

I wanted to post a question in the electronics section and I thought I had to post x amount before I was allowed but then realised there are sub forums which you can then post in!

tom_tom_go
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Benefit of doubt before. . . .

So Mr. tom_tom_go, why didn't you just introduce yourself first with your interests?
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby tom_tom_go » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:38 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Benefit of doubt before. . . .

So Mr. tom_tom_go, why didn't you just introduce yourself first with your interests?

I have?

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27028

We seem to be getting off on the wrong foot here chaps...

tom_tom_go
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:41 pm

Yep, my apologies, I think it appeared like you came on strong to some members.

But I can see you're no stranger to models and forums.

So, welcome to the RC tank side of modelling.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby tom_tom_go » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:51 pm

No worries, just wanted to show you guys my background that was all so apologies if anyone has taken offence.

Tom

tom_tom_go
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:01 am

It would be all too easy to be absorbed by your website, Tom. :D I expect many tank-o-philes also have a soft spot for model trains. There are a few self-declared train addicts among our members. ;)
Dick Strawbridge arranged a challenge whereby a group of volunteer enthusiasts aimed to create the 'Biggest Little Railway in the World' alongside the Caledonian Canal (Between Fort William and Inverness). It was to be, of course, on a temporary basis. It stretched 71 miles in all, and used a must-have looking RC controlled model steam engine- the 'Silver Lady', running on 'O"-gauge tracks.
Do you happen to know where such a lovely model could be purchased?
phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:09 am

I have the same loco Roundhouse Engineering used in the TV series (latest video of my modified Silver Lady below):

phpBB [video]

Manufacturers website:

http://www.roundhouse-eng.com

I must confess I stopped watching the program early on as I didn't relate to any of the people cast and they used more than one engine so it was a bit of a cheat...

tom_tom_go
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:25 pm

tom_tom_go wrote:I have the same loco Roundhouse Engineering used in the TV series (latest video of my modified Silver Lady below):

phpBB [video]

Manufacturers website:

http://www.roundhouse-eng.com

I must confess I stopped watching the program early on as I didn't relate to any of the people cast and they used more than one engine so it was a bit of a cheat...

Thanks for the info. Personally, I'm quite fond of eccentrics- and probably fit that category myself; but some of the volunteers were a wee bit irritating, and boot-worthy!
I'll check out the link, Tom :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:45 pm

I watched all of the series, but I do agree with the pair of you about about some of the eccentrics ;)
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:08 am

Just looked at the Roundhouse price list.. :O That's over £1,900 for the RC version of the Silver Lady...gulp. Still, Roundhouse models- and there are many types on offer-are really beautiful. :) I suppose they're like the Patek Philippe of model trains, whereby one's descendants will get to enjoy them after one has finally paid for them, and shuffled off into the afterlife. :|
I have a particular family connection with the railways. My (maternal) Grandfather worked on the Railways at Newhouse, Nth Lanarkshire (not far from Glasgow). He contracted TB, and spent his remaining years in
a hostel for Railwaymen on the Isle of Bute, at Rothesay. To be honest, I'm surprised that any railway company could be that generous to a sick worker. I'd assumed that they were all Dickensian.
He liked taking photos, and here's one (circa 1930)
of a train passing through Newhouse:
You might be able to identify the train type.
Here he is at Newhouse with my Mum in the Pram, circa 1930:
My Father's grandfather was an Irish navvy (railway mason). He was killed (run over by a train) when working down in England, repairing the Bramhope Tunnel in Yorkshire, in 1891. :thumbdown: I believe there was also a major disaster in that tunnel around that time. Earlier, 24 men were killed between 1845-49 building it . Hmm..No health and safety in the Victorian period, eh?.
Is railway history part of your hobby? I guess it must be.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby tom_tom_go » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:07 pm

I bought my Roundhouse Silver Lady when it was cheaper than that. I couldn't justify spending that much money now which is why my other locos are all kits or second hand which I then modify to my taste.

Interesting photos and history, I think the loco is a J37:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBR_S_class

I am not really a train spotter, I just like running live steam locos outside and narrow gauge is a fairly large scale that looks right in the garden.

16mm scale is quite a relaxed hobby, it's not like the O gauge boys and girls who can get very passionate about prototypical accuracy.

Here is the 16mm NGM associaton site that I am a member of (you get insurance as part of the membership):

https://www.16mm.org.uk/

tom_tom_go
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:25 pm

tom_tom_go wrote:I bought my Roundhouse Silver Lady when it was cheaper than that. I couldn't justify spending that much money now which is why my other locos are all kits or second hand which I then modify to my taste.

Interesting photos and history, I think the loco is a J37:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBR_S_class

I am not really a train spotter, I just like running live steam locos outside and narrow gauge is a fairly large scale that looks right in the garden.

16mm scale is quite a relaxed hobby, it's not like the O gauge boys and girls who can get very passionate about prototypical accuracy.

Here is the 16mm NGM associaton site that I am a member of (you get insurance as part of the membership):

https://www.16mm.org.uk/

Thanks for all the info, Tom, there are some truly wonderful looking models and accessories on these sites. Almost gives me the urge to switch from tank tracks to train tracks. :think:
Tiggr, a member here, managed to combine a love of his garden railway with a passion for the Tiger 1. For all I know, he may have even subscribed to your Board.
If you scroll down on this link, you'll see a little of what he did to marry these slightly disparate interests up :thumbup:
Buying rolling stock second hand might be a future prospect for me, by the way....after all the other pending projects. :/
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20600&p=185965&hilit=train+tunnel#p185965
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby tom_tom_go » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm

That's G scale by the looks of it whereas my stuff is 16mm scale:

G scale = 1:22.5
16mm scale = 1:19.05

I don't follow the scale exactly, life is too short ;D

tom_tom_go
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:31 pm

I saw this clip of the Tarr smoker, belching smoke, on your Youtube channel, Tom. Although the Tarr unit uses a fan to drive the smoke out, it still appears to create a pulse-like effect- leading to realism...and some sentimentality. I always liked the smell of train steam. In fact, and used to go to a railway bridge, near my childhood home to catch a faceful of it, from time to time.
I feel lucky to have been around, when steam trains were still the norm; but that luck has come at a cost: Age. :| :lolno: Still, as someone once said :thumbup: , age is not so bad when you consider the alternative.... ;) 8O
phpBB [video]
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby tom_tom_go » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:01 pm

In that video the unit is not proportional and running at 12v so the smoke output is huge but I just wanted to see what it looked like on full power.

Unfortunately, myself and Ian (Tankbear) tests have proved that the unit will not be proportional with my current setup as it differs to what most of you use in your tanks which is what the original board was intended for. He is working on a prototype proportional board that should allow control with my ESC/Rx though so fingers crossed.

I am basing my clag output on this similar sized Class 04 shunter:

phpBB [video]

tom_tom_go
Recruit

Return to Trains / Locomotives