My trains and forum - gardenrails.org

This section is for all of you who would like to 'show and tell' about your Trains / Locomotives - whatever the scale or gauge!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: My trains and forum - gardenrails.org

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I watched all of the series, but I do agree with the pair of you about about some of the eccentrics ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just looked at the Roundhouse price list.. :O That's over £1,900 for the RC version of the Silver Lady...gulp. Still, Roundhouse models- and there are many types on offer-are really beautiful. :) I suppose they're like the Patek Philippe of model trains, whereby one's descendants will get to enjoy them after one has finally paid for them, and shuffled off into the afterlife. :|
I have a particular family connection with the railways. My (maternal) Grandfather worked on the Railways at Newhouse, Nth Lanarkshire (not far from Glasgow). He contracted TB, and spent his remaining years in
a hostel for Railwaymen on the Isle of Bute, at Rothesay. To be honest, I'm surprised that any railway company could be that generous to a sick worker. I'd assumed that they were all Dickensian.
He liked taking photos, and here's one (circa 1930)
of a train passing through Newhouse:
You might be able to identify the train type.
Here he is at Newhouse with my Mum in the Pram, circa 1930:
My Father's grandfather was an Irish navvy (railway mason). He was killed (run over by a train) when working down in England, repairing the Bramhope Tunnel in Yorkshire, in 1891. :thumbdown: I believe there was also a major disaster in that tunnel around that time. Earlier, 24 men were killed between 1845-49 building it . Hmm..No health and safety in the Victorian period, eh?.
Is railway history part of your hobby? I guess it must be.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

I bought my Roundhouse Silver Lady when it was cheaper than that. I couldn't justify spending that much money now which is why my other locos are all kits or second hand which I then modify to my taste.

Interesting photos and history, I think the loco is a J37:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBR_S_class

I am not really a train spotter, I just like running live steam locos outside and narrow gauge is a fairly large scale that looks right in the garden.

16mm scale is quite a relaxed hobby, it's not like the O gauge boys and girls who can get very passionate about prototypical accuracy.

Here is the 16mm NGM associaton site that I am a member of (you get insurance as part of the membership):

https://www.16mm.org.uk/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tom_tom_go wrote:I bought my Roundhouse Silver Lady when it was cheaper than that. I couldn't justify spending that much money now which is why my other locos are all kits or second hand which I then modify to my taste.

Interesting photos and history, I think the loco is a J37:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBR_S_class

I am not really a train spotter, I just like running live steam locos outside and narrow gauge is a fairly large scale that looks right in the garden.

16mm scale is quite a relaxed hobby, it's not like the O gauge boys and girls who can get very passionate about prototypical accuracy.

Here is the 16mm NGM associaton site that I am a member of (you get insurance as part of the membership):

https://www.16mm.org.uk/
Thanks for all the info, Tom, there are some truly wonderful looking models and accessories on these sites. Almost gives me the urge to switch from tank tracks to train tracks. :think:
Tiggr, a member here, managed to combine a love of his garden railway with a passion for the Tiger 1. For all I know, he may have even subscribed to your Board.
If you scroll down on this link, you'll see a little of what he did to marry these slightly disparate interests up :thumbup:
Buying rolling stock second hand might be a future prospect for me, by the way....after all the other pending projects. :/
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20600&p=185965&hil ... el#p185965
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

That's G scale by the looks of it whereas my stuff is 16mm scale:

G scale = 1:22.5
16mm scale = 1:19.05

I don't follow the scale exactly, life is too short ;D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I saw this clip of the Tarr smoker, belching smoke, on your Youtube channel, Tom. Although the Tarr unit uses a fan to drive the smoke out, it still appears to create a pulse-like effect- leading to realism...and some sentimentality. I always liked the smell of train steam. In fact, and used to go to a railway bridge, near my childhood home to catch a faceful of it, from time to time.
I feel lucky to have been around, when steam trains were still the norm; but that luck has come at a cost: Age. :| :lolno: Still, as someone once said :thumbup: , age is not so bad when you consider the alternative.... ;) 8O
phpBB [video]
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

In that video the unit is not proportional and running at 12v so the smoke output is huge but I just wanted to see what it looked like on full power.

Unfortunately, myself and Ian (Tankbear) tests have proved that the unit will not be proportional with my current setup as it differs to what most of you use in your tanks which is what the original board was intended for. He is working on a prototype proportional board that should allow control with my ESC/Rx though so fingers crossed.

I am basing my clag output on this similar sized Class 04 shunter:

phpBB [video]
spee34
Private

Post by spee34 »

That is verry cutte like that technology, ohh yes ;D
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Very cool, i will check it out as i have just started designing and 3d printing some narrow gauge for my fathers Garden, i am scaling everything to 1/16 scale to match the tanks & trucks we are building.
I would love to go live steam, but its cost prohibitive for us at the moment, so i am just designing my own electric drive units and will run smokers where required
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Trains / Locomotives”