American Civil War City Class Gunboat

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
Jimster
Lieutenant

American Civil War City Class Gunboat

Post by Jimster »

I’ve had a long time interest in our American Civil War and used to be a Union re-enactor. I have the replica firearms and accoutrements and I even scratch built a 1/87 scale USS Carondelet (which was a City Class Mississippi River gunboat) for a possible HO scale model railroad diorama. Hasn’t happened yet but my new hobby of rc tanks has whetted my appetite to build an rc version of my gunboat. I’m thinking a GI smoker for the smoke stacks and maybe a Benedini or Elmod for sounds and propeller/rudder control maybe. I don’t know but it sounds like something I could do. I thought I would ask here first for advice.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: American Civil War City Class Gunboat

Post by Jimster »

Here’s the Carondelet. She had 6 sisters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Here’s my 1/87 scale scratch build of the Carondelet. That class of gunboat sat pretty low in the water but I think if I seal things up nice and tight that I could build an rc version for calm ponds and other smooth waterways. This one is 2 feet long but would want to build one about 3 or 4 feet long to be an impressive rc model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

That would be the most interesting build I have seen in a looong while!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Very nice bit of scratch work Jimster, that would be an impressive beast at 3' - 4' long :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Jimster!
A beautiful Bit o' Work there! I have one of these City Class gunboats in a kit. It is a smaller, resin and plastic kit that I picked up off the web. It is a model of the one they raised from the Yazoo River and have on display near Vicksburg. Amazing stuff!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

I'm a huge fan of Civil War ironclads & built a 1/72 Canonicus class monitor & have a partially built CSS Tennessee in my shop that I need to get back on one of these days. Both are RC using hacked servos for propulsion.

The City class has Its been on my list for a future build & I have CAD files from the Vicksburg USS Cairo museum I'll be happy to forward your way by email.

Modeling Civil War Ironclad Ships is a great primer for anyone interested in the genre written by a friend of mine who's retired heli pilot in LA. Its focus is heavily on 1/72 but also includes the 1/32 Super Monitors Steve & Bill built for the Monitor Museum opening a few years back. The book is comprehensive for any modeler & even covers black powder firing systems for those who want more of a bang out of their builds. You can download the 170 page book at no cost from the following link:

http://walternelson.com/ironclads.pdf
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

WOW, that's some awesome scratch building there Jimster! Making it into an RC operation would be so cool. Not much freeboard there tho. 8O

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Dear God Jim!

That is one nice creation! Beautiful and nice and big! :thumbup: Sort of reminds me of the kit I had as a kid of the Monitor and Merrimack. Always was fascinated by these gunboats and ironclads.

Very cool, :clap:
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Jim, rather than risking damage to such a beautiful build in a possibly-unsuccessful attempt to RC it; are you aware of the Dumas kit(s) of the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia in 1/72 scale? The Monitor is 27" long and Virginia is 45" long. And, although the kit(s) (both ships come in the same kit) hasn't been produced in several years, AND tend to fetch rather obscene prices when it comes up for sale, I happen to know of one within your budget; should you decide that it would be of interest to you. -Mike

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”