American Civil War City Class Gunboat

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: American Civil War City Class Gunboat

Post by Jimster »

Moving forward slowly (slow ahead) but I’ve made my rudders from brass and soldered things together to make the stern “hinges” for them. Ugly soldering, leave me alone!
I need to engineer motor mounts at the proper angle for the propeller shaft assemblies and figure out the push pull linkage for my two steering servos. I hate this part but I need to finish and test the running gear/steering set up before I begin the upper deck modeling fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hmmm :think: ,

Very interesting Jim. I was wondering how this "little" project was going. Don't worry about your solder, it looks just like mine! :/ My Dad always said it looked like "bird droppings"! You should see my welding beads! :{

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Very good
As for the solder, are you using a flux applied beforehand?
Give the area a bloody good clean and free from grease/oil
Then use the flux brushed on around the area, make sure the items to solder are positioned and held in position nicely.
Probably best to use small gas torch rather than an iron and then bring in the solder
Don't try and add solder to the flame it will be pushed away.

Sorry if that is what you have covered so far :)

As for the hull, its coming along nicely. Looking good. Looking forward to seeing the upper structure going in place
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
EAO

Post by EAO »

Will01Capri wrote:Very good
As for the solder, are you using a flux applied beforehand?
Give the area a bloody good clean and free from grease/oil
Then use the flux brushed on around the area, make sure the items to solder are positioned and held in position nicely.
Probably best to use small gas torch rather than an iron and then bring in the solder
Don't try and add solder to the flame it will be pushed away.

Sorry if that is what you have covered so far :)

As for the hull, its coming along nicely. Looking good. Looking forward to seeing the upper structure going in place
Will,

Sure, now you come along with this info! :D

Cheers,
Eric.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Jim: "And one prop is clockwise and the other is counter. Not exactly sure why." :think: If the props both turned the same way, I would expect a torque effect tending to turn the ship. Opposite-turning props would cancel out this effect. Of course, my sailing experience is limited to skinny boats with funny sticks that cause sore muscles or the sort of boat with funny white things up above.

Eric: "I have a small amount of it in my top jaw holding...fast pitch baseball accident at age 10." Yeah sure: more likely a bar fight. "They also used a bovine bone graft." See, that proves that is bull____. "As I'm originally from "The Dairy State" of Wisconsin." And that is extra proof that its bovine boo boo.
EAO

Post by EAO »

Alright our good Herr Dr.,

You caught me. Why is it so hard to fool a Wisconsinite? Even for a fellow Wisconsinite? :think: Just kidding it really happened, I vividly remember the pain! 8O I used to love baseball, now if you throw one at me I duck every time! :wtf:

Cheers,
Eric.

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Slow going but I’ve got the rudders built and mounted. I’ve got a couple of strong waterproof servos ready to hook up with music wire to connect the servos to the rudders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Very Cool
So how long until the water test?
Is the bathtub big enough to do a water floating test?
Glad to see this project is continuing :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Picking up on what Doc Prof opined, sensibly as ever, on the topic of Prop rotation- later ultra-beefy propeller-powered aircraft, often had contra-rotating propellers fitted to reduce the effects of torque on the plane's horizontal stability.
I guess, the same principle applies here. It also explains why there was a specific engine starting procedure for WW2 four-engined bombers.
Never mind the solder, Jim. Ugly or not, they'll be concealed in the water and so long as they do the job, without becoming detached, you'll be onto a winner. :D
Besides, we'll all be looking at the (undoubtedly) magnificent upper hull to come. :thumbup: :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks, men! Will, the water test will be a long time coming but I’ll get there eventually. The real gunboats were completed faster than this model.
And yes, the ugly parts should be hidden during operation and I plan to spend much more modeling effort on the visible upper decks. Next I need to coat the hull with Bondo or another layer of fiberglass cloth/epoxy resin. Then mount the motors at the proper angle and hook up the dual servo rudder units. Fun fun fun.

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”