Revell Hermann Marwede 1/72 RC Conversion

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
wibblywobbly
Major

Revell Hermann Marwede 1/72 RC Conversion

Post by wibblywobbly »

Well this will make a change from tanks, but I was looking for a winter project, and although I have a couple of tanks that need completing, and plan to build another one mostly from scratch, I am on course to move house shortly and didn't want to start any of those tasks until after the move. Knowing that there is a boating lake near to the new place, I decided to have a go at converting a static boat kit to RC, as it is a lot cheaper than buying an RC boat. I also end up with a very detailed model that will look good sat on the shelf.

I have in the past renovated a large scale Vosper MTB, and built an Italeri 1/35 Schnellboot, the latter was a real challenge as it is the largest 1/35 scale boat on the market, had photoetch etc and was very fragile. Despite building both, I sold them on as fully functioning RC models without ever sailing them myself.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11426&p=98020&hili ... oot#p98020

I looked around at what was out there, and what others have done, and found three models that are popular conversions. Flower Class Corvette, Submarines, and the Hermann Marwede, a German Search and Rescue vessel. After much research I plumped for the last one. A bit more research and I found Gameseek were selling the kits for £30 so I bought one. Looking at what is in the box, and how big this is, it is amazing value for money, and if it all goes pear shaped then it hasn't cost me the earth.
IMG_20161009_072920.jpg
I have ordered two shafts, propellers and two flexible couplings that cost £15 all in.

If the build comes together using what I have, then this whole boat will only have cost me £45. Time will tell. :shh:
IMG_20161009_072854.jpg
First job was to fit the rear tailgate and seal it.
IMG_20161009_073015.jpg
Then printed a triple motor mount, but then decided that two 360 motors would be more than enough to propel this as it is so light.
IMG_20161006_202756.jpg
I am going to try running it off an RX18, this will allow me to run both motors off one stick and control them tank style for turns etc. If this works, then I have a T90 RX18 that I can easily plug in there that will give me sound effects as well.
IMG_20161009_073318.jpg
The decks need to be removeable, so I put a lip around the hull and inserted cross members to pull the sides against the deck. I can then screw the deck to the cross members.
IMG_20161009_073002.jpg
IMG_20161009_073141.jpg
There are bow thrusters at the front, and although I did my best to seal them, there is a pin hole leak somewhere. Getting this area watertight is todays task, there isn't a lot of room in there.
IMG_20161009_073335.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20161009_073341.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Revell Hermann Marwede 1/72 RC Conversion

Post by silversurfer1947 »

If you use the T90 board, you would need to keep well clear of the other control stick, otherwise you will have problems explaining away the cannon ;D
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

There is that minor detail, :shh: , however, the T90 board requires the button to be pressed as well, so I should be on safe ground. If it doesn't all work how I am hoping it will I will have to invest in some boat esc's. The problem with using the RX18 is a lack of servo support, so I can't have servo operated rudders. As the boat is so light I will test it to see if it turns using just two propellers contra rotating (the RX18 does this on superspin) and if that works I won't bother fitting any. I could try using a turret rotation unit and cobbling that up to a pair of rudders, but that part is all a long way off yet.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

This is an interesting project wib........
Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

Nice one Rob, looking good.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Following this one with interest rob
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I am now realising that this is not a task for the faint hearted, nor anyone without an armoury of modelling tools, fillers, and glues.... 8O

Being a static kit, some parts, the decks and hull for instance, along with the railings are all designed to be glued together, and rely on each other for alignment and support. I have therefore had to cut some parts, and re-attach them to two other parts to get the whole thing built so that I can remove the decks for access to the rc gear. This in turn has resulted in using filler all over the place not only to fill gaps, but to keep the water out. Even as a static kit this would be a challenging build, as not everything lines up at all easily, and for some of the larger flexible parts getting glue onto a whole seam and getting it in place before the glue dries, and then holding it there while it does, requires five hands and 27 fingers.

I am making progress though, and now its pretty much just the superstructure to go on. I have cross members under the decks so that they can all be screwed down securely. I have no doubt that some of the fragile parts will get broken the first time I sail it, as there is pretty much nothing to glue them to, just dents in the deck?

I did a test fit of the running gear, and decided to order two brass propellers as the plastic ones that came with the propshafts looked pretty dire.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics and more will follow as work (slowly) progresses. I have to think 5 steps ahead all the time to make sure that nothing is going to prevent me getting it apart once it is completed. :/
Attachments
IMG_20161012_195058.jpg
IMG_20161012_195044.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

Rob, that. Looks very good indeed.

John
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Having now learned to ignore the Revell 'Order of Construction', things are going together a little better. One thing that I have noticed is that the hull is slightly warped so twisted front to back, which is only starting to show up now that I building the superstructure. I may be able to pull it back straight with bracing, but we shall see.
Attachments
IMG_20161014_175539.jpg
IMG_20161014_175523.jpg
IMG_20161014_175513.jpg
IMG_20161014_175504.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi rob looks a nice model ,there are a few extras you could add if you wanted , helicopter spinning rotor ,fire hoses .

regards pete

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”