Revell Hermann Marwede 1/72 RC Conversion

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Revell Hermann Marwede 1/72 RC Conversion

Post by wibblywobbly »

I am well chuffed with it. Not the easiest build in the world, thanks to Revell not providing mounting points for the smaller parts. I am just glad that I bought some Contacta styrene glue with the needle applicator, and some Gorilla Super Glue, along with white superfine Milliput. Without those this would have been a complete and very messy nightmare.

The plastic is pretty good though, it bends rather than snaps, which is what is needed for an RC build.

I gave the empty hull a test run in the bath using an RX18 and it all worked, it even seems to steer ok, but I won't know how effective that is until I can try it in open water. The only slight issue I have is that the stern has a very shallow draught, the weight of a battery takes the empty hull down to the exact waterline and holds the props underwater. When I have the superstructure on I will have to do some jiggery pokery with ballast to get it floating and running at the right level. If I can get the running gear in the stern then I can totally seal the front deck down, which will make things much easier.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Managed to shoehorn the electrics and running gear in. It's all 100% watertight, it goes forwards/backwards etc, and turns on the props though for some reason it turns better one way than the other, though this may change in open water.

I have been using coins to ballast the hull as I can take them in and out and move them around to get the weight where I need it, and everything including the battery is mounted securely to ensure that there is no weight transfer and a capsize when it's running. I am running 2mm shafts which are made from very soft metal, and one is out of true. The good side runs silky smooth but the other vibrates. Getting hold of hardened stainless 2mm shafts with M2 thread on only one end is proving rather difficult. so I may have to try and true up the one that I have, or buy another.
Attachments
IMG_20161019_092627.jpg
IMG_20161019_092616.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

If it's of any use, I have some lead shot you can use for ballast.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Thanks for the offer but I think that the coins will do the job, it doesn't take much to bring it down to the waterline. I have spent today ripping everything out of the hull, and using a heat gun to warm the plastic and gently easing the whole thing straight again. It's as close as I can get it, not 100% perfect but better than it was. If it looks out of true when the decks go back on I will write and ask Revell for another one, I'll have nothing to lose.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Made a start on painting. Used rattlecans for the white as an airbrush would take all day. White primer and satin white topcoat, Vallejo Military Green for the decks, and Vallejo Bright Orange for the orange parts. Still loads more to do but it's looking like the one on the box lid now.
Attachments
IMG_20161026_085123.jpg
IMG_20161026_085108.jpg
IMG_20161026_085038.jpg
IMG_20161026_085006.jpg
IMG_20161026_084948.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Is the Launch big enough to put a micro motor, tiny board and RX into? You could have a crane powered by a servo launch the 'launch' and have it make a run around the ship then get picked up again ( by a magnet on another crane ) ;o) This whole job is looking amazing!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Funnily enough I came across a build on the web where someone had done exactly that, he even had a rudder powered by two tiny coil magnets. Amazing though that was, I won't be going down that path. I will consider it an achievement if this whole thing actually floats! Just breathing on it is a liability. 8O
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Look at it this way. It'll make an excellent shelf display if it doesn't float, and will be easier to recover than an aeroplane that's sunk!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I'll be glad when its finished, I keep thinking there isn't much more to do but then hit another problem. The painting took a week?

That said, the front raised deck can be glued and sealed, the rear lower one can be removed via screws to access the battery, propshafts, and RX18, and there is an on/off switch on the rear deck. Ballast is only in the front and is coins that are epoxied to the bottom of the hull.

I have to keep thinking four steps ahead as once something is glued in I can't risk blocking access to something else that I need to do, and I need to ensure that whatever I do by way of the build, that I can still get the rear deck off. There are gantries and cranes that bridge the two on the static model, but I can only attach one end on the RC conversion.

It's getting there though. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

On the final run now, all of the painting is done, I have built the launch that goes in the rear, all of the windows are in, the front deck is glued in. Need to affix the decals, and solder up the switch wiring, then give it a going over with satin clear coat.

The colours look a bit washed out in this lighting, the orange bits are deep orange.
Attachments
IMG_20161031_204630.jpg
IMG_20161031_204618.jpg
IMG_20161031_204559.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”