RC Boat questions

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
wibblywobbly
Major

RC Boat questions

Post by wibblywobbly »

Ok, although I have built two RC boats, they were sold as fully functioning without me ever actually putting them in the water, apart from a test in the bath to make sure that the electrics/mixers worked ok.

I am now thinking of building one and actually using it as nature intended, but want to do it on the cheap as I have this eternal nightmare of watching the thing disappear beneath the waves never to be seen again.

My current way of thinking is to buy a 1/72 scale Revell plastic kit and use that. They do a few that I am interested in, and are around to 600-700mm length, so big enough to put electrics and motors into, as well as being nice models to stick on the shelf.

As part of this exercise, and because I have a bag full of them, can an RX18 be used to power a boat? It already has the mixing etc, and as one of the boats that I have in mind has little room for rudders, the ability to run the props in opposite directions would appear to be good for a rudderless drive system.

The other question is, would a rudderless system work on a twin prop U boat? The props would be very close together, and a U boat is long and thin, so my brain is telling me that this would not work on a submarine.

Any info much appreciated.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
tomhugill
Captain

Re: RC Boat questions

Post by tomhugill »

I'm afraid it wouldn't work well, with a u boat you need a mixer and rudder really. Which u boat are you thinking? You can rc the revel type ix without fuss
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Thanks for that Tom, I did wonder. The U boat I was looking at is U505, mainly because it has more of a boat shaped hull than Revell's other offering. I have seen a few RC conversions and Simon at Greens Models has explained to me how the static dive works, call me Boaty McBoatface if you like but I never knew that subs are in a perpetual state of flooded hull, and that the vents simply allow the water in and out. It would be a matter of finding/making a WTC for the electronics though.

The Revell ships that I was looking at have also been converted on the boat forums, and would be far easier, though one of them has little room for a rudder linkage, hence the question about rudderless steering.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Rob you could do a simple surface running sub , which would mean just 2 channels , or you could convert the Flower Class corvette which Revel do its 1/72 scale that also would only need 2 channels .

regards pete
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The Flower class is one of the ones that is on my list, along with the Hermann Marwede, there is a local-ish dealer with a sale on, but he is now out of stock of both of these, if he gets new stock at the same price I will see about getting one of them.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

Rob, I already have a finished 1/72 Flower Class Corvette from Revell, if my memory serves me correct, it was originally a Matchbox release, Revell took over the tooling, but was then discontinued, but I think Revell have now re-released it as one of there Platinum kits, better tooling, photo etch etc, it is an excellent kit, SHG Marine do a complete package for that model, they supply all the running gear, or some of if that what you need.

John
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey rob, if your doing a sub are you looking at static or dynamic dive? And how DIY are you looking at going? With a lathe you can do it yourself for about 50 quid (plus electrics) however norbert bruggen does a conversion for the revel type vii for a very good price. Currently I'm converting the trumpeter kilo in 1:144 to static dive, I'll post some pictures of the dive unit later.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Daft question - once you've dived a model submarine, how do you get it back up? Or do you pick a shallow pond and wear wellies?
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Well I took the plunge and ordered a Hermann Marwede 1/72. It was only £33 inc postage, so if I mess it up it won't be the end of the world. It's a big boat for the money and has stacks of detail. Plenty of nice examples on You Tube. If this works out I will try the Flower Corvette, it was all the fragile bits that scared me off, and maybe a sub at a later date if I get the bug.

This is a Hermann converted to RC.

phpBB [video]
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

RobW wrote:Daft question - once you've dived a model submarine, how do you get it back up? Or do you pick a shallow pond and wear wellies?
That was what puzzled me until a friend who has built them explained it all.

There are two types, dynamic dive, and static dive.

Dynamic dive simply uses the dive planes to drive the front end under the water. If the sub slows it surfaces again under natural buoyancy.
Static dive is what Tom does, electronics, air pumps and it works the same way as a real one. It can submerge even when the sub isn't moving by blowing the air tanks. To surface again air is blown into the tanks. Doubtless it is more complex than it sounds, but I think that is the general idea.

Either way, the electrics have to be in a Watertight Container (WTC) as the hull fills with water to make it sink.

Doubtless Tom can eleborate on what is involved. :wave:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”