1/96 Soryu class diesel electric submarine

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
tomhugill
Captain

1/96 Soryu class diesel electric submarine

Post by tomhugill »

As with many of my models I picked this up off eBay as a bit of an impulse buy. Most of my submarines are pushing 2meters and I fancied something a little more portable but still in a standard scale (in this case 1:96). Engel do a type 212 which is a similar boat with an X tail and is highly portable, sadly the price tag is large, £700 plus.

This model comes from rcsubworkshop who make both the hull and WTC. It features and X tail and brushless motor. The dive system uses a bladder and rolling pump, it's a little slow but very simple and reliable.

Here's what I'm aiming for:

The WTC had some issue when I bought it, neither esc worked properly, the ballast tank liner was too large and the WTC leaked.

It's not pretty but I sealed the offending openings with epoxy

A smaller 320ml ballast bag was sourced and installed

Space is limited but everything was installed

A 2.5mah 2s lipo has been used to save safe whilst maintaining power output.

Next up was sorting out the drive train, as supplied a small brass bush is use to support one end of the drive shaft however the fit isn't great and the drive shaft isn't properly supported. So using some brass tube I had knocking about I made a propshaft tube. Getting the alignment right was a pig and required sanding down the WTC supports as to get as straighter alignment as possible to keep resistance down.

Next up was the details, the model comes with a sheet of photo etch but in typical Chinese fashion no instructions! Luckily Donald from rcsubworkshop was able to supply many pictures showing the placement of most of it. The previous owner had put a load of large holes where the photo etch was supposed to go, so this had to be filled with car body filler. The conning tower planes needed a fair bit of reshaping to get them to fit properly

Next up was initial ballasting, she needed a fair bit of lead to get her to sit near scale waterline. It does take about two minutes to get her down to scope depth but this allows a more realistic waterline.

tomhugill
Captain

Re: 1/96 Soryu class diesel electric submarine

Post by tomhugill »

Next job has been adding some conning tower detail and the scopes and sensors the live there.

All scratched from brass rod, styrene and filler. Found a good few pictures for reference and copied them as best I could.

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Got me lookin mate :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The dark art of submarines is a complete and utter mystery to me, I did think about building a surface runner after a chat with George, but then someone told me that they are super slow and have a vast turning circle, so I dropped the idea.

Looking at this marvel, I take my hat off to you! :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

Looks like bathtimes going to be a lot more fun...
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

wibblywobbly wrote:The dark art of submarines is a complete and utter mystery to me, I did think about building a surface runner after a chat with George, but then someone told me that they are super slow and have a vast turning circle, so I dropped the idea.

Looking at this marvel, I take my hat off to you! :thumbup:
Cheers rob, the individual systems are fairly simple, it's just getting them all working nicely together whilst keeping water out/air in is the trick! If you use a mixer you can make a twin prop surface runner pretty manoeuvrable. To be honest though a dynamic divers not really an more complex than a surface runner!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Tom,
It is another marvel of RC Tech ( which you have brought to life ) Beautifully done, looking forward to paint.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Glasgowtanker
Lance Corporal

Post by Glasgowtanker »

Nice job
Horses45
Corporal

Post by Horses45 »

Tom you never fail to amaze me with your skill. I always like to follow your builds lol
Torro King Tiger , Torro KV-2 , Torro M-16 half track , 2xTaigen Tigers
HL King Tiger , HL KV-1 , HL Tiger , HL Bulldog , HL Pershing , HL Sherman
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

Impressive..do they get to leave the shelf very often? I guess its pretty difficult to find some where to take them out.
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”