Torro 1/16 LCM3 new toy

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.

Postby Will01Capri » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:00 pm

Hello
So this is a new toy i picked up and swapped for some other items with a friend
I have to say i am properly happy with the new model, and am already planning some upgrades and new additions which i will design and make myself.

No.1 are the Machine Guns, which i want to remake and then operate with servos and also i will be making a new set of sailors in higher resolution.

I have a small pin hole leak in the hull which needs sealed and some little bits and pieces to sort, but i more or less just want to get it running and in the water.
So it looks like my Prototype Sherman needs to be finished now.
But it does give a cool launching platform for Catherine's 1/4 ton utility truck

There is an annoying brake screeching sound when you select reverse on the das mikro sound card, so it would be great to get rid of that in time, but out on the open water i doubt anyone will hear it

phpBB [video]


Pictures and maybe a better video to come :)

I have to say, this really is a nice boat, glad i made the trip to collect it. Only had to drive from Dumfries to Eastleigh. At least i was able to meet up with friends whilst i was down to make the trip worthwhile, but the boat alone is just soo damn cool

Happy to take any advice or tips or suggestions of how to improve
User avatar
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Location: South Scotland

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:14 pm

:D :thumbup: Looks like a lot of fun. I really don't want one of them...I really don't want one of them...I ...I really want one of those :/ :D
User avatar
43rdRecceReg
Major
 
Posts: 6015
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am
Location: North West Highlands, Scotland

Postby 971wright » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:32 pm

Need to weather it lots of rust.Then you need a way of moving it, need a Dragon Wagon ,then you need something to go in it DD sherman.


regards pete
Attachments
20150615_175705 (640x480).jpg

971wright
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2718
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:16 pm
Location: nelson Lancashire

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Will, I am just now finishing three sailors for my LCM: a Coxswain and two gunners. (Correct me if I have the rank incorrect for the officer in charge of an LCM.) I enlisted them through Shapeways. They are printed with some fine and some broad-stroke detail and rather, ah, "bold" facial expressions. They are not easy to prepare and paint, as two had 155mm holes in their backs :O from the printing process, and the third was in upper and lower halves and separate arms that required a lot of fiddling to fit. I will post pictures :{ when I am done.

Your LCM has the tire dock bumpers replaced with another kind of dock bumper. (You can see the tire-type bumpers on Pete's LCM.) Yours also has some added life-preservers. I don't know how much these LCMs rusted. I would guess that they were short-lived and probably sank or were scuttled before they had time to rust.

I, too, would like to either replace or rework the .50 cals. because the ones provided will rotate but not elevate. I want to be able to align them with the gunners' hands.
User avatar
Herr Dr. Professor
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:48 pm
Location: Southern Wisconsin USA

Postby jarndice » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:21 pm

I thought that the Higgins (LCM) boat hull was made from marine ply.
User avatar
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 7124
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am
Location: the mountains of hertfordshire

Postby Jimster » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:29 pm

That is so cool! You have a most amazing, diverse collection. I can’t wait to see it operating in the water. How about some pics of the transmitter and electronics when you get a chance.
User avatar
Jimster
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 am
Location: Illinois

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:23 am

The "Higgens Boats" as Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel (LCVP) were plywood, made by Higgens in Lousiana.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCVP_(United_States))

The Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM) was a type of "Higgens boat" made of steel, a design shared by both the British and the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Craft_Mechanized
https://web.archive.org/web/20060927172544/http://wrc.navair-rdte.navy.mil/warfighter_enc/SHIPS/shiptype/lcms.htm
http://www.boats.dt.navy.mil/pg2/LCM(6).htm

An aside: I am losing what the librarians call "bibliographic control." :O That is, I cannot find my book on landing craft, which I just saw yesterday. :/ So I had to resort to online sources. :{
User avatar
Herr Dr. Professor
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:48 pm
Location: Southern Wisconsin USA

Postby Model Builder 4 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:19 am

Thought I'd put a pic up of my LCVP to show the difference in the models, it's still in it's un-painted state as of yet though :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Model Builder 4
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:46 pm
Location: South Wales valleys

Postby jarndice » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:55 am

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:The "Higgens Boats" as Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel (LCVP) were plywood, made by Higgens in Lousiana.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCVP_(United_States))

The Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM) was a type of "Higgens boat" made of steel, a design shared by both the British and the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Craft_Mechanized
https://web.archive.org/web/20060927172544/http://wrc.navair-rdte.navy.mil/warfighter_enc/SHIPS/shiptype/lcms.htm
http://www.boats.dt.navy.mil/pg2/LCM(6).htm

An aside: I am losing what the librarians call "bibliographic control." :O That is, I cannot find my book on landing craft, which I just saw yesterday. :/ So I had to resort to online sources. :{

Well Herr Doctor you my have lost your source of reference but you certainly have not lost your marbles,
Thank you for your research and correcting my mistake and explaining the difference between the craft :thumbup:
User avatar
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 7124
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am
Location: the mountains of hertfordshire

Postby HERMAN BIX » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:31 pm

Thats a hell of a new toy indeed Mr Capri !!
Whatever will you jump into next ?? ;)

As Im trapped home with this stupid bung ankle, Im looking to do a bit of housekeeping in here.
I reckon this will soon go into the boats section !................well, its a boat, and its RC so its an RC Boat :shifty:
User avatar
HERMAN BIX
Colonel
 
Posts: 7816
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 am
Location: Gold Coast,Australia

Postby EAO » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:31 pm

Will,

That is one heck of a nice find! Don't know what you traded, but I'd say you came out on top even with the road trip! :clap:

Cheers,
Eric.
User avatar
EAO
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 5:29 pm
Location: Central Missouri, U.S. of A.

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:49 pm

What's this LCVP ??? Tell me more, please. Are there more photos, Lee?

Do you remember the old UDT214 model kit of the 'sixties ('fifties?) ? I love that kit, and it is still being produced now and then. I built one a few years ago. Another of the Tuesday modelers here has three built and two more waiting. In the early 'sixties, we discovered that the LCVP, sans propellers, given a slight push, would zoom across winter snow in the front yard. In summer it would float in the ditch superbly. Those were the days of KC*---before RC. 8)

* Kid Control
User avatar
Herr Dr. Professor
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:48 pm
Location: Southern Wisconsin USA

Postby Model Builder 4 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:39 am

Herr Dr. Professor » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:49 pm

What's this LCVP ??? Tell me more, please. Are there more photos, Lee?



Hello Professor,

Not wanting to hijack Will's thread I'll just give a quick summary, I bought it about 3 year's ago, already built but as an unfinished model, not sure if it was from a kit or scratch built. It's RC and has a manual wind rear ramp, I've been detailing it on and off for the last couple of years so when I get a little further with it I'll start it's own thread and put some pictures up :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
User avatar
Model Builder 4
Warrant Officer 1st Class
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:46 pm
Location: South Wales valleys

Postby jee » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:29 pm

Will,
Absolutely a very cool boat :thumbup:

I was just thinking, your kids must be very happy to have parents like you and your wife who have the most cool toys around the house :D
User avatar
jee
Corporal
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:16 am

Postby WCP RC MODELS » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Jimster wrote:That is so cool! You have a most amazing, diverse collection. I can’t wait to see it operating in the water. How about some pics of the transmitter and electronics when you get a chance.

Video to come soon, maybe tomorrow when im having a day of fun things.
I am really pleassed with it, but we can do more

I just love building and having interesting models. This really was a chance swap as i knew i wanted one when i saw one, but the price is high and im pretty poor most of the time when building soo many models as have to keep a good stock level of bits and pieces lol

EAO wrote:Will,

That is one heck of a nice find! Don't know what you traded, but I'd say you came out on top even with the road trip! :clap:

Cheers,
Eric.


But in the end i did a deal with my friend on this one with one of my Flak 36 88mm, i actually swapped my very first prototype model(which i never do, well now i have i suppose haha) and got this beauty
I like to think both parties got a good deal.
It is a little big though, so i will be making a nice shelf in garage for it when i get a chance lol

would be nice to do a lcm vs lcvp for sure
Model Builder 4 wrote:Thought I'd put a pic up of my LCVP to show the difference in the models, it's still in it's un-painted state as of yet though :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I never knew you had one of those Lee, damn cool, love the cargo aswell

Yes i think you are right about trailer, i would never have believed it until i saw a picture of an lcm on the back of a M26 Wagon/trailer and was like, oh no, thats given me an idea hahahahahaha
971wright wrote:Need to weather it lots of rust.Then you need a way of moving it, need a Dragon Wagon ,then you need something to go in it DD sherman.


regards pete



I am goign to print some new crew for ours as the original crew with the model are ok, but i want something better, so lets see what we can do. The MG are going to be fun and fiddly, but yeah i am thinking they have to move with flexible arms of the gunners
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Will, I am just now finishing three sailors for my LCM: a Coxswain and two gunners. (Correct me if I have the rank incorrect for the officer in charge of an LCM.) I enlisted them through Shapeways. They are printed with some fine and some broad-stroke detail and rather, ah, "bold" facial expressions. They are not easy to prepare and paint, as two had 155mm holes in their backs :O from the printing process, and the third was in upper and lower halves and separate arms that required a lot of fiddling to fit. I will post pictures :{ when I am done.

Your LCM has the tire dock bumpers replaced with another kind of dock bumper. (You can see the tire-type bumpers on Pete's LCM.) Yours also has some added life-preservers. I don't know how much these LCMs rusted. I would guess that they were short-lived and probably sank or were scuttled before they had time to rust.

I, too, would like to either replace or rework the .50 cals. because the ones provided will rotate but not elevate. I want to be able to align them with the gunners' hands.



HERMAN BIX wrote:Thats a hell of a new toy indeed Mr Capri !!
Whatever will you jump into next ?? ;)

As Im trapped home with this stupid bung ankle, Im looking to do a bit of housekeeping in here.
I reckon this will soon go into the boats section !................well, its a boat, and its RC so its an RC Boat :shifty:


Cheers haha
Well this was one for me i say shamelessly, i haven't actually had a chance to enjoy any models recently of my own, so was a treat. The drive was worth it for sure
Yeah it is an odd move, however Catherine & I agreed we need to try and balance the Axis stuff and get some more allied vehicles in, so this is us trying to be more balanced lol

Next we have some rather interesting things.................... V2 & Meiller Wagen with SS100 to follow in future, Flak 40 on quad axles so i have something to tow behind the Famo 18ton halftrack. A SIG33 is moving along slowly as are some trucks.
But really the thing absorbing the time is the build of 5x 251 chassis which are all printing away currently :)


Sorry Catherine i hijacked your login as my computer is off and i couldn't be bothered to log it in hahahahaha



jee wrote:Will,
Absolutely a very cool boat :thumbup:

I was just thinking, your kids must be very happy to have parents like you and your wife who have the most cool toys around the house :D

Yeah i reckon my kids have the coolest parents eveeeeeer hahahaha
User avatar
WCP RC MODELS
Private
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:43 pm
Location: Dumfries & Galloway

Postby Will01Capri » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:45 pm

phpBB [video]


Video of a look around with radio gear. I like these flysky transmitters
User avatar
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm
Location: South Scotland

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:14 am

Alas, as you know, the ones from Torro do not come with sound. The props, rudders, and ramp all work smoothly, but no sound. :'( So you have yourself an extra nice feature, but I am not jealous, not one little bit. ;D Please do keep us informed about how your sailors are progressing while they are enlisted and trained. :)
User avatar
Herr Dr. Professor
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:48 pm
Location: Southern Wisconsin USA


Return to RC Boats

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests