Air support. Look what I've bought now

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Air support. Look what I've bought now

Post by Johnf »

Thanks Saxondog for putting the idea into my head. I cannot fly a plane. Probably never will as I hate the idea of crashing.

This should keep the enemy at bay.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Air support. Look what I've bought now

Post by Saxondog »

Very Nice
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Even if it never flies it's a very nice model with lots of potential for detailing. Going into storage for now.Gradually pick up the electronics. Went to a local flying club. They should be able to source a suitable second hand engine and servos. They laughed when I said it was my first plane. Not easy to fly. If I take up flying I will pick up somthing secondhand and cheap.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Nice Plane,
If you want to sell it cheap, send me a message, that way you can buy your wife some earings rather than 'Donating them'.... :haha: ...I must admit...that is one of MY fears about flying a model aeroplane...one mistake and all that money is wasted.....THAT is the major advantage of tanks..(and cars I suppose )...they do not fall out of the sky..or sink in the pond !!!!......Although I must admit that I do like the look of the small pulse-jet engines that you can buy. No moving parts and all welded out of stainless steel....The motor has to be mounted above the body of the plane because of the tremendous heat. They are powerful and fast and of course loud.....so since I live in France and they have such fond memories of 1940 to 1945 I thought that I would make a V1....... :haha:
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I like the V1 Idea. John,I went to YT INT. site very impressive planes,I would really like to see the construction,especially the wing?

They certainly have a large selection, really nice kits. Are you building the "D" version? Really you must,it's the perfect companion for your Tiger.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

That would be a handful to fly although I suppose you could set the rudder and tail plane and just have it as a very fast free flight model. I flown some fast electrics like my 22.5inch RAF lightning prop pusher and it's an adrenalin filled five minutes as she disappears off into the distance so a pulse jet.....

Last of the bid spenders I treated myself to a 1/72nd scale Boulton Paul defiant and Hurricane Mk1 yesterday both from Airfix. I was shopping with the wife and managed to find a model shop. so while she was trying 100's of clothes I found refuge in Modelzone.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I know the D version would be a better companion for the Tiger period wise but I prefer the look of the B. Looks more menacing. Construction is very solid and nice matt finish. Almost ready to fly is a bit optimistic on the manufacturers part. There is quite a lot of work to do on it. The YT International brand is marketed in US as ESM and Hobby Planet in Europe.
Here is a link where you can see the kit in detail including full build instructions.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ES ... 7B-80.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

It's a nice model and really good paint finish as you'd expect. Still plenty to do to keep it interesting. I've not flown an r/c German plane, but with the generous wingspan and markings at least it will be a lot easier to orientate when you do eventually get to fly it. If you are after a cheap and cheerful starter model go for a foam cessna type. For under a hundred it usually comes with everything you need to get airborne and the servos are usually removable to stick into something else. I only paid about £70 for my foam cessna some three, or four yrs ago and it's good and remarkably tough. For it's size and weight it flies quite well and also stable. The undercarriage is the weakest link on that one though. Also buy an r/c simulator if you haven't got one already and you'll soon be dive bombing on purpose. I've got two both from realitycraft at twenty quid each. One for helicopters and the other aeroplanes. It's got a BF109 as one of the r/c option planes as well as the Spitfire and others including the Bell rocket.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Thanks for the advice Dylan. There are a couple of flying clubs near me. I was looking at some cheap cessnas. Also looking at some of the simulators. I will check out the one you mention. Great planes do a very impressive sounding one but a bit expensive. The flying clubs here will give all lessons for free. My local club has a few good warbird flyers. The Stuka will be a project for future. Maybe winter as it is easy to work on it indoors. Still kept busy with my 1/6 Tiger for the present. Over time I will gather the other parts like prop, spinner, engine,servos. I would like to fit a 3 blade prop for scale appearance but notice most fly with a two blade. Do you know what the difference is?
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I don't know if there is a difference apart from the fact that r/c aeroplanes generally have two for flying and then you change the propellor for a three bladed scale one for on the ground judging. I know you can fly with three as a friend has built numerous multi engined aircraft with three, although on his mosquito he did have one propellor contra rotating to the other which made it easier for take off as the tail didn't swing around as much. Model planes and real ones swing a lot on take off and can have you in circles and crashing before you've gone anywhere. The winter is an ideal time for that aeroplane and I am determined to finsh my Typhoon ready for the Spring so that I can do some tank hunting.

I did see another simulator in RCME Magazine, which was quite reasonably priced and I'll post the name of it later. It's good joining a club as they can help you with the set up and everything and you'll be flying in no time. It does get addictive though.

Return to “RC Aircraft”