Crashed de Havilland DH 91 Albatross

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
dominicm
Lance Corporal

Crashed de Havilland DH 91 Albatross

Post by dominicm »

After a successful maiden flight in strong winds I was confident about flying the Frobisher again in kinder weather. The first flight of the day went really well although did show the difficult ground handling characteristics. The second flight ended in disaster. Powered up after pointing into wind but even with rudder the Frobisher yawed around almost into down wind direction. I should have abandoned the take off run but foolishly continued and once in the air it stalled. I corrected but it immediately tip stall over the other way and crashed. A sad end to a beautiful model but hey...it's just a hobby !

Sharing this experience so that others might learn from my mistake. To err is human and I think the most important thing is to understand why it happened and try not to do it again. I should have abandoned the take off and waited for the wind to reduce. Simple.

phpBB [video]
4K resolution RC footage only on 'Essential RC' YouTube channel and Facebook page
http://www.youtube.com/c/EssentialRC
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Crashed de Havilland DH 91 Albatross

Post by Jimster »

Ouch!! That sucks.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Saw a bit of that when I used to help out friends in NZ way back when.
Worst ones were a Stuka and a Fokker D7 , both were total write offs.
That’s when I gave up on aspirations of model aircraft flying !
I went to 10th scale off road car racing.
Crash-no consequences!

Sorry for your loss mate
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

The Fokker D-7 was the best!
square4
Lance Corporal

Post by square4 »

Definitely a BIG ouch :( , on the first flight I was thinking it looked a bit skittish don't know if it was.
I never finish anyth
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

That's too bad, it was a beautiful model. On most days my planes came home looking like that! I sucked at flying! Only 4 times did I ever come home with an intact plane! As an expert RC flyer once told me "Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory"! Thankfully this doesn't apply to RC tanks! :{ :/ :lolno:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “RC Aircraft”