Gigantic 1:6 scale Lockheed Super Constellation battles wind

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
dominicm
Lance Corporal

Gigantic 1:6 scale Lockheed Super Constellation battles wind

Post by dominicm »

Piloted by Keith Mitchell, this model took 5 years of combined design and construction. This model aircraft was initially designed by Tony Nijhuis and part-built - was extensively rebuilt by Keith's modelling mate, Peter Johnson. Its initial flights were taken under the Large Model Association scheme (approved by the CAA) for model aircraft over 80KG. It underwent 12 test flights for combined flight time of more than 2 hours to get it's LMA\CAA certificate to fly at public shows.

During this flight at Elvington Keith was battling a strong gusty cross wind. The cross wind landing was extremely skilful and amazing to watch. Judging from his reaction I don't think Keith enjoyed it so much but the watching crowd were certainly very appreciative that he put on a good show.

Specifications of this fantastic model.
Wingspan: 21 Feet
Length: 19 Feet
Weight: 220 Lbs
Engines: 4 x ZDZ 90cc petrol
Props: 4 x 28 x 10 Biela Carbon
Radio: Futaba 14 Channel
Servos: 22 (13 channels for ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps, throttle x 4, landing gear and lights)

phpBB [video]
4K resolution RC footage only on 'Essential RC' YouTube channel and Facebook page
http://www.youtube.com/c/EssentialRC
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Gigantic 1:6 scale Lockheed Super Constellation battles

Post by jarndice »

I saw a USN Recon version taking off at night from RAF Seletar in Singapore in the 60s the most impressive part of it was the long blue flames coming from it's multiple exhausts as it lifted off on full power.
One of a number of new types of Passenger aircraft that had their great promise reduced when first De Havilland and then Boeing produced the first of the multi engined passenger jets.
Thanks Dom for stirring up a fond memory. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
dominicm
Lance Corporal

Post by dominicm »

You are very welcome Sir.
4K resolution RC footage only on 'Essential RC' YouTube channel and Facebook page
http://www.youtube.com/c/EssentialRC
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Along with the venerable DC-3, the Constellation is one of my two favorite passenger aircraft. I never got to ride in one, sigh! I am grateful for your posting your video. Since my internet connection is poor to nothing here in the woodlands of Southern Wisconsin, US, I appreciate the chance to catch the slow motion part of your videos. I can see the effect of the crosswind on landing, and I believe on takeoff, too. Bravo to Mssrs. Mitchell, Nijhuis, and Johnson for their skills and work.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Along with the venerable DC-3, the Constellation is one of my two favorite passenger aircraft. I never got to ride in one, sigh! I am grateful for your posting your video. Since my internet connection is poor to nothing here in the woodlands of Southern Wisconsin, US, I appreciate the chance to catch the slow motion part of your videos. I can see the effect of the crosswind on landing, and I believe on takeoff, too. Bravo to Mssrs. Mitchell, Nijhuis, and Johnson for their skills and work.
That wouldn't be Clarance (Kelly) Johnson you are referring to by chance would it Herr Professor?
He after all designed just about everything else at Lockheed in those years :haha: :haha:including the Hercules and the P2 Neptune.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Herr Dr Professor, you need to come and stay with me - I live 10km from 'Connie', the last flying Constellation. There are open days, but flights are pretty restricted.

phpBB [video]

Return to “RC Aircraft”