Giant 1:6 scale Lockheed Super Constellation TWA airliner

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
dominicm
Lance Corporal

Giant 1:6 scale Lockheed Super Constellation TWA airliner

Post by dominicm »

Owned and built by Keith Mitchell, this model took 5 years of combined design and construction. Its initial flights were taken under the Large Model Association scheme (approved by the CAA) for model aircraft over 80KG. It underwent 12 test flights for combined flight time of more than 2 hours to get it's LMA\CAA certificate to fly at public shows.

A rarely modelled scale radio controlled aircraft in an amazing scheme applied by the master, Philip Noel of Pinnacle Aviation.

Specifications of this fantastic model.
Wingspan: 21 Feet
Length: 19 Feet
Weight: 220 Lbs
Engines: 4 x ZDZ 90cc petrol
Props: 4 x 28 x 10 Biela Carbon
Radio: Futaba 14 Channel
Servos: 22 (13 channels for ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps, throttle x 4, landing gear and lights)

phpBB [video]
4K resolution RC footage only on 'Essential RC' YouTube channel and Facebook page
http://www.youtube.com/c/EssentialRC
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Giant 1:6 scale Lockheed Super Constellation TWA airline

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:O ...
If he cut a bum-sized hole in the fuselage above the wing, he could just about ride around in that beast. I guess it would be akin to Hanna Reitsch flying a Doodle Bug. :) (which did happen, of course)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have a lasting memory of a Lockheed EC121 Constellation of the US Navy taking off from RAF Seletar in the 60s at dusk heading off for a mission over Vietnam,
as it came back over the airfield taking up its heading the mainplane's were illuminated by the orange/blue flames from its four piston engines on full power,
It was quite a sight.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Frau Reitsch was a superb pilot and a couple of other exploits was demonstrating a Helicopter by flying one inside a gymnasium and landing a Feiseler Storch on the Kurfurstendam (Kudam) under shell fire from Soviet Artillery in the dying days of the European war in 1945,
After her passenger had met with Mr Hitler she flew said passenger out of Berlin being the last German Aircraft to do so before the surrender.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “RC Aircraft”