Any Reccomendations?

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
almurray42
Recruit

Any Reccomendations?

Post by almurray42 »

Hi guys, i am fairly new to the whole rc thing and i was hoping to get an rc plane. I want a fairly good plane that is good value for its money. i have a £100 limit so nothing too expensive but does anybody have any recommenations???????
   thanks    :D
Last edited by almurray42 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIGMIG
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Any Reccomendations?

Post by BIGMIG »

Hello almurray 42,
        I don't think I can offer much help for your question,your on one side of the big pond and I'm on the other.You didn't say if you prefer a gas model or electric.There are a hugh varity of planes on the market place.Also are you interested in a kit you put togeather
or a pre-built (RTF) model.I used to like to put the kits togeather and fly them but then the (RTF) models got so cheap compaired to the kits and all the goodies needed to complete them,I just started buying the ready to fly models.If you was here in the U.S. I would reccomend tower Hobby,they sell a lot of models and I use them to compare prices at other hobby shops.If I can help you out with a specific question you might have,be glad to help in any way I can.                            BIGMIG  ;D ;D
ck51dzz
Recruit

Post by ck51dzz »

i am also looking tog et myself a rc aircrart but i am only a beginner i am looking for the best plain to start with and move from if u get what i mean thanks.
BIGMIG

Post by BIGMIG »

Just for general info over-all for what it's worth.
  For those who might be thinking about getting into RC flying I can offer up some advice and tips.All my experience over the years has been with gas model airplanes.I wish I knew more about the new light weight battery powered planes that are on todays market,but I can't speak of them.I have seen a couple of the small one's being flown and they look like fun.I think someone who has flown and ownes them will come on board and give advice on them.I have three of the cheap helicopters (battery) that I have played around with and they are fun,but helicopters are a whole different can of worms. ;D

For me I live in the country and have the room to fly planes in my own back yard.For most people that is not the case and they either have to find a place open to the public where it is legal to fly them or join a flying club.To fly a gas model plane it requies a pretty good sized area,and the more open and less obstructions the better.One also must remember that these airplanes are not a "toy"------The business end of a propeller (GAS or ELECTRIC ) is not to be taken lightly,they can do serious dammage in a split second.An out of control airplane flying at 50-60-70 miles an hour can do serious dammage.-----

Allmost all my flying in the last 10 to 15 years has been with 40 size engines and up (40 size is the smallest I own) Most of the planes I fly are all balsa
and weigh 4 1/2 pounds and up.My biggest model has a 8 foot wing span and a 4 cycle quadra 42 engine with a 18 inch prop.

The most difficult part in a lot of our hobby's is getting good advice when you are starting out.Some guys have deep pockets and only want --the biggest--the best---the fastest---And on and on.---Even real private pilots don't start out in a " learjet".

You can have a lot of flying fun with a " trainer type aircraft ",these are designed for the beginning RC flyer.One that is properly built and with proper
trim is just a fun plane to fly.

Please Note==I would try to find someone who is allready a flyer who can mabe take you out and actually show you the ropes on flying,or look up a flying club in your area and just drop by and talk to some of the members and see them flying their planes.Most RC flyer's like to talk about the sport and a lot can be learned the easy way.I tried to fly on my own many times with no one to coach and help me,this amounted to a lot of crashed airplanes.You will get a lot of advice that you need a simulator---I have never used one and it for sure would not hurt I guess,but even at that without someone to help you you will most likely have a very short flight with the result of a crashed airplane.It's like riding a bicycle for the first time,looks easy but it's not until you learn how.RC flying is the same thing,takes a lot of practice.The easy way is to fly with a buddy or friend that knows how and with most of the radio's on the market they have a buddy cord that plugs from the pupils radio to the experienced flyers radio,he simply holds a little button or lever down while you are actually flying the plane.If he see's you are loosing control he simply lets go of the switch and regains control of the plane and then you try some more.Saves you airplanes,money,and lots of time because he is coaching you as you learn.

When you start out keep it simple and buy a airplane that will make it as easy as possible to learn to fly,a trainer type model.You will most likely advance to a biger and higher performing type plane if you really injoy RC flying.If you don't you will not have that much invested in a trainer.

Here in the U.S.---Ball park plane and basic gear to fly----Ready built plane almost ready to fly  (this refers to 40 size plane) "ARF" airplane which includes==the airplane,fuel tank,wheels,and some with motor mounts,and control linkage----$75.00 to $110.00 dollars
MOTOR---many different inexspensive models---40 size-----$55.00 to $80.00 dollars
Radio---futaba 4 chanel with servos---------$115.00 to $130.00  dollars.
Propeller-------$3.00 to $6.50 dollars
HotShot---battery that clips onto the glow plug for starting engine-----$15.00 to $20.00 dollars
Fuel------One gallon------$14.00 to $18.00 dollars a gallon.
Battery starter---for easy starting of the motor $16.00 to $24.00 dollars

The above covers most of the basics to have a flyable airplane-------

BIGMIG  ;D ;D
cloughie
Recruit

Post by cloughie »

If you fancy a helicopter have a look at these,dead easy to fly indoors,and at £60 for the first two, from leeds model shop

http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog ... 6500aa59eb

or

view the video with this or put twister helicopters into you tube

http://shop.hurricanemodels.co.uk/unitr ... PLETE/1413

I have one of each of these and I am no flyer but they are good fun to have a go with and you get a flight sim in the box as well,it saves crashing the model as you can crash the sim as many times as you want to without the cost of buying a new model all the time ;D

cloughie
Last edited by cloughie on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloughie
Recruit

Post by cloughie »

bigmig
can I come and live next door to you ;D ;D ;D

cloughie
BIGMIG

Post by BIGMIG »

Hello cloughie,
        Hey come on over,be glad to have you for a neighbor.I'll bet we could have a lot of fun togeather.There is a new house being built next to me right now,going to have a new neighbor.(don't think its sold yet).Where I live here out in the country it was in the past all small farms,now they are all dissapearing and the land is being split up into small parcels for new homes for people trying to escape the city life.It is not a change I care for,starting to miss the peacefull country living I was used to. :-\
                                      BIGMIG  ;D ;D
almurray42
Recruit

Post by almurray42 »

Thanks for your help!!!!

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Return to “RC Aircraft”