1/16 Elefant Ludwig/Asiatam

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1/16 Elefant Ludwig/Asiatam

Post by xrad »

Wiring all cleaned up and now it's plug and play for the smoker...

I was able to re-use the TARR board and some left overs to finish it up. Need some 1" heat shrink and done with this part.
Attachments
IMG_2473.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG
xrad

Post by xrad »

Benedini sound wired up. I chose the Panther sounds because I liked the engine idle and throttle the best. I am using two series wired 4 ohm mid-range speakers, and a 4 ohm min sub with a 3.3 ohm resistor. You can get these at Parts Express, not expensive and sound pretty good. They will easily fit into this tank.

Found a few cool sounds on the B mini, like a welder, and bullets hitting metal.. I used Benedini 10watt x2 amp. Class D, little heat, and sounds very good with plenty of punch. Waiting on a few suspension parts from Asiatam, and some milliput for the zimmerit...

sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43CptuavfaI
Attachments
IMG_2476.JPG
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

With half a hi-fi system in there xrad, this is going to be something special. I've been pondering a similar, albeit smaller setup. I had big 7 cm Visatons when I was running the IBU2 in my SU-152, but with the extra electronics the TCB needs I was wondering if I'd be better off with two 5 cm speakers in series side-by-side so I'd get roughly the same surface area in a shorter form factor. I'm excited to see how well you got it to work, it sounds fantastic!
xrad

Post by xrad »

C below
Last edited by xrad on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xrad

Post by xrad »

Thx, Raminator. These 5cm's sound pretty good, but that is outside of the tank. I can open up the inside of the engine cooling vent boxes to get sound out. You could do the same with rear deck of SU152. I'm printing up some 3D boxes for the sub and speakers. The recommended volume for the sub is about .04 cuft, which is too big to fit. I was thinking of turning it upside down and using the floor as the mount surface, and then the whole tank could be the sub box....Will have to see how it sounds in the little box (no ports) inside the Elefant.
Attachments
elefantspeakers.JPG
xrad

Post by xrad »

Finished mounting the speaker boxes. Sounds pretty good from 6ft away. The higher freq's will come through better once I open up the underside of the cooling system. It is much louder and has way more bass than the cam mic picks up....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSsWzSN ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
IMG_2484.JPG
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

xrad wrote:I'm printing up some 3D boxes for the sub and speakers. The recommended volume for the sub is about .04 cuft, which is too big to fit. I was thinking of turning it upside down and using the floor as the mount surface, and then the whole tank could be the sub box....Will have to see how it sounds in the little box (no ports) inside the Elefant.
It sounds pretty damn good to me, you get a really decent depth to the sound with that speaker setup. Great work!

When I was digging through the specs for the speakers trying to work out the enclosure sizes, they were all bigger than the tank so I just made the box as big as I could fit and called it a day.
xrad

Post by xrad »

Thx, Raminator. You are correct, the sound is much better with the sub than without. Casting a 'ball' for the mount allowed much freedom of gun movement, but created a challenge for development of the side-to-side movement. Next time, I will just make a standard mount like the OEM one. I 3D printed my design for the gun recoil and servo mounts. works pretty well but could be smoother with a better design. Plenty of barrel travel in the up-down direction and the necessary few degrees in the left-right direction. However, due to extreme travel in the up direction, the sub-woofer will have to be moved, and mounted to the castle side wall. Spektrum s500 servos work well.

Vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJzEdL3sNR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqeyDt5JSDc
Attachments
IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_2490.JPG
IMG_2489.JPG
IMG_2488.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG
xrad

Post by xrad »

Some of my 3D parts. Had to machine a brass mantlet due to necessary barrel weight.
Attachments
IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Nice work on the 3d printed department. This allows for freedom in the hobby.

Return to “Other Builds”