1/16 Elefant Ludwig/Asiatam

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

1/16 Elefant Ludwig/Asiatam

Post by xrad »

Just finished discussing the details with Christian. VERY helpful. So...it looks like the final build in my long series of Jadpanzer will be in the works.

I could not wait any longer for HL to come out with one. The plan is for Metal Hull, Plastic superstructure, metal barrel. HL electronics, recoil. Asiatam 3:1 gearbox, drive wheels, road wheels and the early style heavier metal tracks in black.
Steenv
Sergeant

Re: 1/16 Elefant Ludwig/Asiatam

Post by Steenv »

welcome to the elephant club. Have the full aluminium kit going my way as you know.

On mmodell.de you can find a build thread of the elephant another hobbyist is doing

cheers
Steen
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I'm in the same boat as you, xrad. Since we first heard of the ZHooben Elefant - (what is that - about two years, now)? - I have been waiting as patiently as possible for them to bring it out. My goal was to use their chassis to build my favorite tank - the VK 45.01 (P) Tiger. I saw Asiatam release their Elefant running gear, and bought the same things you mentioned at the beginning of the year. Then I saw Christian's aluminum hull and VK 45.01 (P) plastic superstructure, and decided it was time for me to commit to the project. I'm waiting to hear from him that he's finished with it and shipped it - it is very much like people say you're a kid impatiently waiting for Christmas!

I will also use the Asiatam gearboxes, but the electronics will be from a Tamiya Tiger I, (although I don't know how to make the Tamiya MF-01 unit sound like the TWO engines of the original vehicle).

One thing I see as a potential problem is the fenders. I don't believe his kits come with them, and I don't know if anyone makes fenders with the correct non-skid pattern in 1/16th scale. Do you know of a source for this? Thanks. -Mike
Steenv
Sergeant

Post by Steenv »

to my knowledge no to the question of the fenders. However, the build thread on mmodell.de clearly shows waht another builder has done with the fenders, down to the very small detail.

Go have a look - I have certainly been inspired by his build, to be able to start my own Elephant

cheers
Steen
Steenv
Sergeant

Post by Steenv »

forgot to write, that my elephant will be with el-mod, dual speakers, low ratio asiatam gearboxes.

Another tip - Schumi kits have the special bolts in aluminium if you are not happy with the supplied resin parts
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Christian is very skilled, the CNC router does the work in part but the engineering involved to produce these parts is Brilliant, just Brilliant.

Saxondog
xrad

Post by xrad »

Hi Guys. Glad to see the interest in this build. Anything not supplied by Ludwig's will be built by me. I chose the plastic hull because it is easier for me to melt, glue, and otherwise work. Although, originally, I was going to get the all alu version.

I joined Alibaba for some info on chinese tanks. My latest email from Leo Zhu, twin horse sales, in reply to : What is the MOQ on your C6614 1:16 RC Elephant Jagdpanzer Tank ~4 months. :thumbdown:

sites with other items:

http://www.rcmodellwelt.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some nice 1/15 resin Nashorn and elefant kits...500 E and up

Steen: can you post the link to the MModell build?
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Steenv, I was finally able to view the Elefant build you listed; thank you. For the fenders, he appears to be using embossed styrene sheets. I have something from Plastruct that looks like what he is using, called PS-153 G Diamond Plate; but it's pretty thin and flimsy. It looks good, though - maybe it could be bonded to thin aluminum or brass sheets for strength. I have used Wedico diamond plate aluminum sheets for model trucks. It is very sturdy, but the pattern does not look as good as the styrene sheets do. A link to them is here.

http://www.gardentrucking.com/products/ ... ls/471.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xrad

Post by xrad »

If you can find some ps155 , it might be more scale

http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/OnlineCa ... =PS-150155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Awesome link, xrad. Thank you.

Return to “Other Builds”