Sherman Conversion

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Sherman Conversion

Post by BREL »

nice work on the Sherman
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

3 months on and much eye straining work. Im reasonably pleased. This is the first big project Ive done in 1/16th and have made some interesting discoverys. She's as good as done but needs a little running around to pick up the battleworn look. I used a dark brown/Olive green wash and some ash out of the fire place. Piccies show not quite dry and I may yet dry brush a little and varnish. What dya think ?
Attachments
shermfin3.jpg
shermfin2.jpg
shermfin1.jpg
Last edited by nickmow on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grompix
Sergeant

Post by grompix »

A proper Brit Sherman. Looks really good. I like the stowage on the front too. Great work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Chris :D
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

3troop C squadron 1st Northants Yeomanry advance through Normandy. Lead tank it 1/18 21st century Sherm that I converted to RC.
Thanks Grom' I wanted to do a regular line 75 gun tank, as everybody wants a Firefly. Now on with the next project :D
Attachments
shermfin4.jpg
tankman

Post by tankman »

Great job on the Sherman, done yourself proud there.
Alan
Plastic scouser
Corporal

Post by Plastic scouser »

Nice build Nic :clap: :clap: Like you say you don't see many 'normal' Brit Shermans you just need to build 3 more then you can do a Firefly lol

Cheers Ian
Wight
Lance Corporal

Post by Wight »

Very nice Shermans.
Nice bit of weathering too,I like the idea of using ash from the fireplace,very effective.

Steve.
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

Thanks lads, I'm all shermaned out now, tell ya what after all the research I know more about shermans than I thought possible, so many different varietys. Luggin bags of ash out of the fireplace realised it might just work like pastels, which it does. I'd love to do an Achillies or a Priest on the mato chassis too, meanwhile on with LVT. Nice to get positive comments makes it that bit more worthwhile doing, thanks for the encouragment. :)
grim_marmazet
Staff Sergeant

Post by grim_marmazet »

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but that Sherman is excellent! If you have any reference pictures id be glad to take some off your hands, lol.

The work is fantastic. How is the Mato suspension holding up? Will it support a heavy tank?

Cheers,
Rik
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

Thanks Rik, for reference I used a bunch of books that I have, I will collate a list. To be honest theres millions of piccies of Sherms on the web. The suspension which is converted on the front and back units is quite robust. I didnt do the middle set as I wasnt sure about weight bearing, and Id run out of enthusiasm LOL. I figured it would give a little more strength to the running gear and not detract from the effect of the sprung arms on the front and rear units. it actually works really well. Appreciate your comments, Im really pleased with the finished model. ive actually toned the muddy weathering down a little now and its just about right. Well worth the 3 months effort !

Return to “Other Builds”