Sherman Conversion

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby nickmow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi all,
thought I better put myself in the firing line. Im not a master modeller but wanted to try and convert my Mato Sherman into a Regular 75mm Sherman II as used by 4th Armoured Brigade in Normandy. I havn't settled on County of London Yeomanry or 44th RTR yet but theres plenty of time.
So far its a work in progress ! Ive used the Mato Hull, Tamiya Turret and the Base of the Mato 76 turret cut to fit the Tam Turret (quite and easy fix actually) Was Contemplating keeping the cropped 76 Barrel and after endless hours sanding decided its too thick. currently Experimenting with filing down the Airsoft Barrel. Also trying to approximate the 75 mantlet out of the 105 with a lot of card, filing, filling and swearing :crazy:
DSCF1891a.jpg

Now Ive started work on the rest of the turret, with an extra stowage bin of the back, removed the rear fume extractor/ventilation port. Bodged up a loaders hatch and handle.
DSCF1892a.jpg

Might have to settle for a bought Mantlet or even go for the Cam net over the front to hide the knock up job. WIll see how it goes.

Any thoughts or opinions
cheers all
Nick

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Postby BREL » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:09 pm

nice work so far it will look the dogs danglies when it is done

BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Saxondog » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:51 pm

This may be helpful.I use a tubing cutter on the barrels plastic or metal it will cut cleanly just go slow.Sax
Saxondog

Postby nickmow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:45 pm

More work today, Tried shamfering (spelling ??) down an Airsoft barrel by putting it in a drill and using coarse grit paper and a file, sort of worked, but now wish I hadnt got rid of me old Dads lathe :'( .
"Commander" by the way is out of my RC P47 thunderbolt he's been temporarily grounded pending warmer weather :thumbup:
DSCF1895a.jpg

DSCF1893a.jpg

DSCF1894a.jpg

More to do, including,
Take apart suspension (did contemplate the Split spring arm mod thing) Cast a couple of resin wheels for spares. (Might be able to produce a handful of these for interested parties...though I havnt perfected the technique yet.
Work on the Mantlet once the Milliput has completely set and see if a presentable mantlet emerges, Im also trying another method to
produce one, so watch this space for results
Clear out Drivers and Co-drivers compartments, pending a crew. Oh and no doubt loads of other stuff, keep ya posted :D

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Postby nickmow » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:52 pm

P.S. thanks for the kind words and advice guys !

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Postby [ICE]monkey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:57 pm

filing,filling,and swearing,..... :haha: welcome to the world of rc tanks
looking realy good ,keep it up
all the best,ice
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Postby phill2452 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:37 pm

iam just at the swearin stage on my t34 :clap: :clap: :clap:
phill2452
Lance Corporal

Postby tankmad » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 pm

Your doing a good job of it keep up the good work. :thumbup:
Stevie
tankmad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby Plastic scouser » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 am

Nice work :thumbup: Good to see I am not the only one pulling the mato sherman to pieces

Cheers Ian

Plastic scouser
Corporal

Postby nickmow » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:35 pm

Trial cast in resin of road wheels. Im doing Bubbajo's suspension conversion too, becoming something of an obsession this conversion.
Tank crew turned up in the post today. They are yanks but may convert to Brits with a lil attention (and some more TIME !)
Photo shows the Original wheels, the silicon rubber moulds and the resin reproductions (with a quick spray of Green) not a bad cast, should be fine for spare wheels as stowage.
DSCF1896a.jpg

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Postby tankman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Very impressive job so far. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.
Alan

tankman

Postby nickmow » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:50 pm

More work this evening,
Come to an acceptable conclusion on the mantlet, and the Crew seem really pleased though the skipper is still trying to figure the plans by the looks of things !
DSCF1899a.jpg

Also stripped the suspension right down and sprayed having succesfully completed 1 complete unit split as per Bubbajoes technique ! Boy needs a lot of patience :crazy: I used Humbrols canned spray Light Olive Green, which isnt quite the shade I was after but I think it will weather up well. The finish is really very good out of the can.
DSCF1901a.jpg

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Postby nickmow » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Things are progressing. Man If I had any idea how much work in terms of man hours this thing was going to take, Id of stuck with the out of the box look !!! :O
So... oops Tamiya upper hull arrives (well it was cheap as chips and I thought..why not ?) Set to work trying to construct the drivers and co-drivers compartments, after re-angling the Glacis plate from 47 to 56 degrees. Not such a difficult task, as I downloaded a printable protractor and used it as a cutting template.
http://www.ossmann.com/protractor/
Struggled to find a scale plan and looked at thousands of pics for reference...then remembered my 21st 1/18th Sherman was sat there as an ideal model to work from. Sometimes I amaze myself how thick I can be.
DSCF1903a.jpg

Next to the Mato Hull for comparrison, The Tamiya hull is a good fit but you need to shave off about, rough guess 1.5mm off each side of the Mato lower.
DSCF1904a.jpg

DSCF1907a.jpg

With the Turret on for checking fit
DSCF1908a.jpg

Primed to see how rough the sanding had been, and little helpers are keen to get on with the job.
DSCF1911a.jpg

Suspension finished. Ive left the centre suspension units unmodded for now. I figured they would lend a bit of strength to the undercarriage and not detract too much from the effect produced by Bubbajoe's mod.
DSCF1912a.jpg

With reference models, 1/18 to the left and 1/76 matchbox firefly, I built in mm let me see 1979/80ish !!
DSCF1913a.jpg

So now it looks like a sherman again ! sort of. More work to do over the weekend. :D

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Postby grompix » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Fantastic progress on the Sherman. Looks brilliant!
Cheers
Chris
grompix
Sergeant

Postby YHR » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 am

Nice job on your Sherman. The Mato has lots of room for improvement, but it does provide a good starting point

IF those Shermans start showing up on the island you might want to consider this suspension modification. They are close to being prototypical and you don't cut the traction bars. Tailend Charlie come up with the idea, and I added a few ideas of my own. Seems as some of you guys are still unable to get on to RCU, and since the Firefly is a Brit tank I thought I would share.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9308302/anchors_9308302/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9308302

I'm on my fourth Sherman.

YHR
Lance Corporal

Postby nickmow » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks YHR, thats remarkable work you've done there, I note that you say the 1/18 wheels are a closer to scale ? They do look better on your Firefly. Think that may be a project too far for me though. Resin wouldnt be up to the job of Road wheels would it ?

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Postby YHR » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:28 pm

As long as you use bearings or at least metal bushings you would probably be OK with Resin

YHR
Lance Corporal

Postby nickmow » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Well thats interesting, I might just give it a go, Thanks YHR

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Postby nickmow » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:37 pm

Bit more progress, starting to look the part now :thumbup:
DSCF1948a.jpg
Shermprogress.jpg

Will keep slogging...problem is Ive had an idea for a slightly bigger project :D

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Postby tankmad » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Its comming along good style keep up the good work. :thumbup:
Stevie
tankmad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Next

Return to Other Builds