Porsche Tiger VK 45.01(P)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Porsche Tiger VK 45.01(P)

Post by c.rainford73 »

So it's been a very long time since I've posted a build or overhaul so I'm going to start with a unique piece that I acquired from Michael C ( and possibly Tom Hughill) may have hands on at some point....

This was stirred up by a mister Herman Bix during his quest for broken Asiatam elefant suspension pieces....

So after pulling her from my display in the office I decided to give her a proper freshening up starting with the dodgy asiatam metal suspension bits.

I've been lucky to have Tom forward me the stls for the wheel carriers so I printed a bunch, mailed a pair to Mr Bix in sunny? ( I hope) Australia with a pair of metal swing arms.

I wanted to upgrade the pot metal bits that were worn and bent or simply perished with the new 3D parts.

Of course while removing the wheels low and behold the swing arms simply snapped and fell apart on the desk.

I searched high and low and found the stls for the arms and started to print them.

So as long winded as this introduction has been I show my beginning progress.

A very sturdy tank to begin with for sure, only as strong as it's weakest link

The hull is fantastic, my plan to do a mechanical overhaul and preserve as much of the paint and finish as possible
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Porsche Tiger VK 45.01(P)

Post by tomhugill »

She was mine at one point, excellent runner, never threw a track, really nicely engineered by a club member at the time who I bought it off. A very heavy beast too!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

It is indeed heavy. Very nice looking tank IMHO. Luckily I've printed excess spares Incase I break the dreaded Asiatam suspension :crazy:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

So I've found another broken suspension component and printed off a swing arm and chassis mount for the other side.

My plan is to change my prints to a kevlar nylon reinforced filament so as to make these much more rugged.

They do operate correctly and I'm pleased with the feel of the suspension.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a high quality kevlar nylon or similar product?ImageImageImageImageImage
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Just did a test fit for suspension pieces, will need to clean them up and run it in a bit to see the quality of the parts until I print in stronger material.

I must admit they do move much better than the originals but I definitely want to reproduce them in something more durable due to the weight of the tank. ImageImageImage
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

jeez thats nice Mr Rainford.
Sure is worth the effort to get it running reliably.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hello again Mr Bix, I will receive my order of the stronger material this Friday. If I feel the parts are going to run much better I will print up another set for you and ship them to the Gold Coast
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Shame you couldn’t hand deliver them !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Koenigstiger 007
Recruit

Post by Koenigstiger 007 »

Hello Mr Rainford,

very good model - respect !

Best grreetings

Guenther :clap:
>>make love - not Schrott (scrap metal)
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Fantastic looking tank. I admire you guys who can print your own parts.
The paint work is also great looking , glad your preserving that !
Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther

Return to “Other Builds”