DUKW Scratch Builds

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: DUKW Scratch Builds

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) Magnificent work, can't wait for the launch. Years back had made one, plan appeared in the review Boats "RC Marine" in Ctp aviation, resin int.et ext. drive by wiper motor, ladder? a meter long, just rolling on earth, and unfortunately disappeared since. Wait impatiently for the rest of your work , :thumbup:
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

just for fun, link to a French club in Lyon, reproducing military equipment, functional, as well as the landing, during demonstrations
http://cmnr.free.fr/index.html
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Great link! Thankfully I found the translate tab.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

yes sorry :( but in French but Google is your friend. good evening
Revue RCMarine
3EDA0FEB-785C-4CF6-8978-90A9B2A42804.jpeg
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Update, sorry this has been so long coming. Parts delivery in rural areas takes time. Amazon's two day delivery is more like five or six where I am. Some of the parts have been sent from out of the U.S. and the take even longer.

The transfer case I chose to work with. It is for a tenth scale crawler and it is a bit over size for this project. I've packed it with grease and plan to seal it to the hull with silicone, so it will be able to be serviced when needed.

Packaging has been a bit of work. I want to keep it all below decks and it needs to be balanced. Reversed the input shaft to the T-case and put its motor in the rear. It is a 380 motor with gear reduction unit with an max output speed of 1000 RPM. The t-case has a minor gear reduction and the axles are about 3 to 1. That speed is too slow for the prop, I went with what was on hand, a 540 with a 4 to1 reduction. I built two modified stick packs but was running out of room and balance. I'm going to go with only one and have cells on the way with a relatively high (4200) amp value.

Have some cleaning up to do, but alas, this is testing phase. Rudder, steering and drive shafts have not arrived. Once installed, it will be float (sink) testing.
Last edited by Ecam on Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Changed the U-joint that drives the wheels to a CV joint with a pillow block. The shaft runs much smoother now.

And yes, that is hot glue holding my motor in place. I may make a bracket at some point.......

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Just for info....
The Flysky controller I ordered for the ducks is a car style FS-GT5. Wheel and trigger are the standard channels 1 & 2. There is an on/off button for 3. A 3 position switch for 4. 5 and 6 are knobs with full servo control. I'll be running separate speed controllers for wheels and prop. However both speed controllers need to be hooked to a battery (obviously) but having both ESCs hooked and powering receiver will cause issues. I unplugged the red wire from the channel 6 plug so it is not powering the RX. System works fine. The only "wish" I would want is a detent at the neutral 50% or center on the knob. My ESCs have jumpers that can change between battery types and forward/brake, F/B/reverse and just F/R. The F/R setting for the prop means it can change direction quickly. Which could come in handy on the water.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Driveshafts showed up today, am busy modifying and then some testing, I'll get pictures up soon.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

These are driveshafts that are intended for the Tamiya Semis.
I've found some adaptors that change the 3mm to 5mm and was able to fit these oversize driveshafts to the the HL axles.

These were the longest they offered and were cut down to fit the 16th scale duck.

On the flip side, they were a bit too short for the 1/9th (ish) duck. I have some tubing inbound 8mm ID that matches the OD of the drive shafts. I will extend them to fit,

Last edited by Ecam on Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I did a run test with the 380 w/gear reduction and have been really put off by the lack of power. Speed is great as long as the model is not on the ground. It is a 12v motor and maybe a couple extra cells would help things. Space is a concern, pictured is the 380 with gear reduction vs a 540 with out gear reduction (back ground).

Eric

Return to “Other Builds”