And they shall know no fear.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Maccrage
Corporal

Re: And they shall know no fear.

Post by Maccrage »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Mind you, looking at the side door on the kit, it would appear the space inside would need a step up from where the hinges are to clear the top of the road wheels let alone the tracks running on return rollers. You may have to use a bit of artistic license on the size to gain a bit of credible realism.
There is one already.

And the Imperium's tracked vehicles almost all have the same basic track system, WW1 wrap-around style.

On the Rhino, the tracks are the same, it just has upper track guards. The tracks go around the hatch. All the powertrain equipment is located completely within the hull sides, leaving the entire center of the vehicle available. I can't do the crew compartment interior, that's where the mechanical and electronics are going.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Ahh, got you, I didn't realise, sorry, not been a fan of their AFV's, bit too early 20th century for the 400th century for my liking, they didn't float my boat, so I didn't pay them much attention. Anyway, even though I wasn't struck on them, your build has peaked my interest :thumbup:
They did that same size variation with their jet bikes, the figures that came with them got noticeably bigger when they made the bikes larger with more room for the figures lol.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

A quick edit to my reply on the mini scale turned into, yeah, enough for another post, lol. :lolno:
Copied from my edited post, and added to.

This is actually the second Rhino version. The first was even smaller. When this model was made, the scale of the figures was still 28mm, and the model was now scaled properly, however was still too small to fit 10 Marines inside. Kind of like the Aliens Colonial Marines APC. We know exactly how big it is. And we also know the like the TARDIS, it's bigger on the inside. GW started to increase the size of the Space Marine minis, an now the model is once again underscale compared to the minis. The Primaris Marines that come with the box set are 38mm, and I think the current Firstborn(real Mk7 Marines) are somewhere around what you said.

I like the older 28mm era, so using the width of gets this. Which would work, barely. Especially if you take the lore into account, and remember, in the end, this is 40K, the setting where punching a tank with an oversized armored gauntlet is a viable and often effective tactic. It doesn't have to make sense.

And, as I need to keep reminding myself, in 40K, vehicles are massive. The Rhino, an APC, is bigger than an M1A2 Abrams. I don't have a 1/18 M1 anymore, so here's a 1/16 one instead. It's already wider than the 1/16 Abrams. And it still needs to get bigger.

The Rhino is an ancient Dark Age of Technology STC product. Therefore, they were around before the Space Marines were created, and was designed for normal humans. It is also currently used by the Adeptus Arbites and the Sisters of Battle, normal humans. It was once a pretty ubiquitous Imperial vehicle, but sincw the Horus Heresy they have become so rare and precious now they're restricted to those three. So it should be cramped for a full 10 man squad of Marines, but do-able. I see it as a capabilty that is used during major battles and emergencies and the like, with most of the routine use being by 5 man combat squads. The squad leader in the TC position on the left, leaving 4 Marines in the troop compartment. But there still needs to be space for 9 Marines to physically fit.

But I also need to make sure that a Marine can use the side hatch, and use the cupola hatches, and this is still too small, but verrry close. Now comes the artistic license part. Like the gamers who convert their Rhinos to "true scale", I have to enlarge it to fit the Marines. But unlike gamers, I also have to make sure that the design will actually work. So the road wheels and track need room to move, the inner hatches need to slide, and that the rear ramp can be remotely raised and lowered.
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Hmm... it occurred to me...
Change my scale from 1/18 to 1/16, and see whhat that gets me.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Don't think mine had the interior. Suspect it'll be an early release. Will pick them up from my parents at some point, there's an early Predator & Landraider too. Probably painted with Humbrol enamels!
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

It's big. As long as a 1/16 Abrams, and wider.

The Marine is at ground level for the plan. He just fits inside the outer side hatch, which matches 40K artwork. And 10 Marines will fit.

I scaled the GW model using the outer side hatch just fitting a standing Marine. This puts the kit at approximately 1/75 scale. I then scaled that up to 1/18.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Keep on it, this is the most interesting build I have seen in years.

FOR THE EMPEROR!!!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Sprocket for a Tamiya Pershing.

Gearbox locating is going to be interesting.
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Scaling up the GW kits road wheels to 1/18, and it turns out HL T-90 road wheels are a perfect match.

My attempt at color coding sections. Blue is the sponsons/track units. Green is the hull. Orange is the crew compartment, now becoming the mechanical and electronics section. Purple is running gear. I need to redraw it, with details and color codes planned ahead. I kinda made it unreadable.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Just in case you wanted the Pershing boxes, but didn't know, the Tamiya Pershing gearboxes only have short shafts, because there's a pair of gears under a cover on the hull that the gearboxes drive, which has another shaft coming out to drive the sprockets. And that extra pair of gears per side are like hens teeth to find.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Other Builds”