Churchill MkIII build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Churchill MkII build

Post by AlwynTurner »

I would think so, the show is in October, and although I have to go to Spain for 3 months at the end of the month it still gives me a few weeks before I go and 3 months when I get back.

Sponson with idler, sprocket, and track

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

And the joy of 3d printing is that it is quickly repeatable....

well after a couple of hours printing time that is :D :haha: :crazy:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Nice work on the wizardry that is printing Mr Turner.........
One thing though, "have to go to Spain" :O ...............thats a really good 'problem' to have mate ! I wish I had the same issue ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes the Spain trip is a problem. Since Brexit the costs of taking pets to Europe has gone balistic, the cost to take both our dogs to Spain would be over £1000 per trip because of vets clearance, travel costs, etc, so we have decided to sell our caravan in Spain as it's costing us £500 per year to store it.

So if anyone wants to buy an Eldis Emperor 7m twin axle caravan and side tent with all appropriate accessories for £3000 currently located on the Costa Calida (its about 75 kms south of Benidorm) then pm me, offers considered.

Getting back to my trip I'm going to dispose of the caravan and loads of bits amassed during holidays there, and bring some stuff back. It's a drag to have to go and do it (Honest! :/ :haha: ) and I'm sure that I shall have to consume regulation amounts of beer, wine, food etc whilst there, and it's mandatory to spend an appropriate time in the pool to keep cool but someone has to do it. :/ :crazy: :haha:

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Upper hull is progressing

One problem I foresaw was the turret gear ring as the heng long one is too big to fit, but then I remembered I had done a gear ring for the saladin
I just have to check that it works with the standard turret turn motor .

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Sponsons assembled with the lower hull

Now to work on the rest of the upper hull and turret
Alwyn :thumbup:

Snowwolflair
Private

Post by Snowwolflair »

Have you thought about what controller you will use for the Churchill?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

It obviously deserves a good one but from my limited budget what it will get for testing is an ancient HL mfu and receiver. I get my fun from designing and building unusual models and rarely get to finish and use them as they deserve.

Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Did you print that turret ring gear? Impressive work. As much as I enjoy scratch building, I admire what can be done with someone who knows how to use a 3D printer.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes I designed and printed the ring gear. The gear was designed using an openscad routine available on thingiverse, and tailored to produce a ring gear suitable for a saladin armoured car I was building. Being smaller than the standard Heng Long gear ring it will work well in the Churchill. It's not so much the 3d printing that enables these projects but the cad software that allows things you can imagine to be rapidly developed and prototyped. I used to scratch build using styrene but of course this is not really repeatable without great effort, whereas once something is developed using cad/3d printing it is easily and cheaply repeatable.

Return to “Other Builds”