Churchill MkIII build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Churchill MkIII build

Post by Ecam »

I admit that is fantastic work. But also I have to say that tank is not the most attractive thing I've seen (A face only a mother could love). :crazy:
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks for the kind words, unfortunately I can't help but agree about the ugliness of the Churchill, it looks like something built in a back yard by an apprentice mechanic. Just too much light metal coverings with huge slabs of armour bolted on as an afterthought in places where it might be appropriate. At least the angular design means the CAD work was fairly straightforward.
I'm hoping to get the tank finished this week and then anyone interested in the STL files can contact me, they are the same as for the Matilda at £50 a set.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Thank you for not taking that the wrong way!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well that's it for now folks, busy clearing up my mancave before departure for Spain. :D :D

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Restarted work on the Churchill and after installing the electronics tried out the track movement. It soon became clear that there were a couple of problems:
1. The idler and drive sprocket hadn't been cleaned properly and were causing the track to not sit properly on the sprockets
2. Some of the track links weren't engaging properly and needed cleaning so they would engage cleanly on the sprocket. I think this will improve as the tank is run
3. The track was too slack on the sprocket and idler making the link engagement worse. I inserted spacers into the track adjuster to get the correct track tension and this resolved most of the issues
4. The track was sometimes catching on the track covers - I had to modify the track covers to lift them higher above the tracks to give better clearance. New stls will be going out to thos who have already bought the stls from me.

Otherwise things are progressing and as soon as the track covers are reprinted and tested I will do a video of the tank on the move.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I modified the track cover stls (these will be distributed to those who have already purchased the stls) and had to do a small modification to put pins into the track covers as otherwise they had a tendency to move from the vibration

Here's a video of the test. The turret roof kept coming off but otherwise a successful test. Trying to take a video whilst operating a tank remote control requkires three hands and as I only have two the video is not terribly successful! :haha: :crazy:

phpBB [video]

One problem I have encountered is that the dressmaking pins that I have used to connect the track links keep moving out, and I am going to try 0.8mm wire as a replacement.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Sorted out the track pins and put magnets in the turret roof to stop it jumping off so the churchill, crusader, and the matilda are going for a run at the Scout Hut on Sunday. I should still get more work done on the Crusader despite all the jubilee fun and games.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Now I've finished up the work on the crusader, I have returned to the track adjustment on the Churchill which was a complete bodge. I have designed a track adjustment which resembles the actual track adjustment on the tank and which works to my satisfaction. It was pretty tricky because the adjuster bolt had to clear the track and still not be too obtrusive whilst working properly and providing good track length adjustment.
Here's the comparison with the old bodge job
The new design required M2 bolts and nuts to fit the confined space
Because it now conflicts with the idler cover I am going to have to adjust that design to make the adjuster fit and not foul things up.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The build instruction manual for the Churchill is now complete, and anyone wanting a copy to study please pm me. The cost of the STL set is £50.

Return to “Other Builds”