Crusader Tank new build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Crusader Tank new build

Post by AlwynTurner »

That's the matching pair
Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The side toolboxes are now complete
Next will be the toolboxes over the centre section of the rear hull.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

There was some detail missing from the side of the drivers hatch plus the hinges on the back were too fragile so a quick redesign/reprint was in order. I also opened the bottom of the hatch to allow a figure to be inserted.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Raer upper hull storage boxes complete
Lots more to do

Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

As I halve a Ludwig crusader that’s turning out to be
A pig, I am naturally very interested in this, as I am in the Churchill and Matilda and if mr turner you don’t mind I would like to buy all 3 stls when ready
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Exhibited, pm sent and thanks for the interest.

EDITED :{ :{

At the Scout Hut yesterday I had an unfortunate but fortuitous accident when I dropped the lower hull and snapped one of the track links. This demonstrated that the track link design was not fit for purpose and needed redesign (I am not sure I will include drop testing my models in the future though :crazy: :haha: :haha: )

After redesign and reprinting I have tested pulling, twisting jerking the new design and so far it has passed all tests. - It would have helped if I had printed the new design not reprinted the old design :{ :{ Here are the correct prints/photos

The new gray links are thicker and have wider linkages at the key points in the design, and provided they are printed with tpu or pla plus they should do the job. The prints were done too quickly and at too high a layer height hence the messy prints. The weak part of the link on the old black ones was on the end where there are three link points into the next link, this just snapped because there was only one layer at its weakest point.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Finished and printed the air cleaner assembly
Moving right along

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Completed the shackles, and thanks to the wonders of openscad, cura, and my printer the shackles actually move :crazy: :haha:
Next is the tow bracket

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Tow bracket done

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Designed, printed and installed the turret storage box
and fitted the filler pieces between the air filter and the mudguards as there was an overhang
Just a few jobs to do now including the exhaust fittings on the back panel and a couple of bits on the hull front

Return to “Other Builds”