HL/Heller StuG III ausf. G hybrid

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
MonsieurTox
Corporal

HL/Heller StuG III ausf. G hybrid

Post by MonsieurTox »

Hey guys,

I decided to take the risk to buy the 1/16 Heller StuG III ausf. G kit to see if I could use the upper hull on the Heng Long chassis. This kit is produced by Trumpeter and released under several brands, depending on where you live on the globe. :)

The kit is very nice and I am been very pleased to see it's a perfect match down to the mm to the Heng Long chassis. It's going to be a great enhancement.

Just a teasing pic :)
Attachments
STUGIII_1.jpg
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: HL/Heller StuG III ausf. G hybrid

Post by Kaczor »

Awesome. I have the same kit in the box since Christmas, I'm planning to marry it with taigen lower hull.

One question: did you strengthen front plate? In the Heller kit it lies on the lower hull with little to no connection to upper stucture.
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Hello Kaczor,
I havent strengthen it so far, I don't see the need for it but I may change my mind later. Actually the front horizontal plate is glued to the front vertical plate of the hull (the plate with the view port) and to the fenders via straigt angle brackets like on the original so it's quite strong !
Please pics of your build when you start it, we will be able to help each other ! I wont go crazy with this one as this my 5 yo son's StuG III but I will try to make it look much better than the Heng Long. :)
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Hello,
Some news of the HL/Heller Stug Iii.
I did not take a lot of pics.
I did some modifications to the HL chassis :

I moved up the return rollers, they were too low. One of them should be lower than the 2 other.

I moved back and up the idler wheel (and I'm using the Heller one which has the correct diameter, much larger than the HL).

I'm using the Heller roadwheels, only the outer ones, I'm keeping the inner HL ones to avoid too mods. They are the same diameters so no problem. The Heller wheels have much better details and are thinner, which is more accurate.

I used the Heller guns with all the elevation brackets which is nice because it can be seen from the top, no need to cover the hideous HL system with a piece of fabric.

I think the Heller schurzen are a bit off in size (proportion of the panels seems off to me), I'm going to make new ones.

The Heller top hull is longer than the HL hull. I had to make the HL chassis longer by about 4mm.
The whole top hull incl fenders are removable. Roof of the hull is also removable and I made functional hinges on several hatches (not all).

This is my 5yo son's tank so I'm not sure the PE stowage rack on the engine deck will last long lol...

I'm waiting for late metal sprocket (even if some G had this earlier style with hub cover).
Last edited by MonsieurTox on Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

IMG_20220331_131932_copy_1440x1080.jpg
IMG_20220405_160954_copy_1440x1080.jpg
IMG_20220422_161823_copy_1440x1080.jpg
IMG_20220422_162337_copy_1440x1080.jpg
IMG_20220422_162428_copy_1440x1080.jpg
IMG_20220422_161658_copy_1440x1080.jpg
IMG_20220422_161744_copy_1440x1080.jpg
IMG_20220422_161752_copy_1440x1080.jpg
IMG_20220422_161800_copy_1440x1080.jpg
IMG_20220422_161812_copy_1440x1080.jpg
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Looks great!
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Your Stug looks great! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have the Das Werk Panzer III Ausf J on ordered with the plan to do the same only with the Taigen chassis.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Very nice work, The kit seems to come together very nicely. Am following along.
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Thank you guys!
Yeah the kit is very nice, I've chosen this one because I wanted a G with schurzen. And also because it has no interior (no waste with this one, unlike with trumpeter PAnzer IV, that's sad to see so many left over for a full interior).
The Das Werk is awesome too, one other thing that made me chose the Heller is that it comes with separate black tires, I wasn't planning metal wheel with black rubber bands so that's perfect, they look perfect with a clear flat coat, no masking involved and I would be affraid that the black paint would come off after some use with the bare Grey plastic showing though. Since the parts are molded black, that won't be an issue!

Good news Das Werk and Heller will release any time soon a Panzer III, not sure for the Das Werk but the Heller will allow to build all version including the DAK one!
I think I'm going to buy one and put it on a HL chassis as well!
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

That looks great and the two halves really go together well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther

Return to “Other Builds”