IS-2 "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Re: IS-2 "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

Post by stu_the_flat »

Can you go into more detail about the furniture? Is that printed or dolls house that looks the correct scale? It looks really cool.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Sorry double post
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Nice work again. However l'm curious Mr Bix. I know that the ambient temperatures would be low through most of the year but would the engine suffer from a lack of cold air getting to the radiators if covers by a tarp?

When l look at images of the Russian tanks they were certainly used as a form of military transport during the early years but later in ww2 you only seem to see troops on the rear decks. Don't get me wrong, l love stowage and my sole Sherman can barely be seen for what looks like the contents of the average blokes shed, but on the rear of an IS-2? Not so common. Still, if it's comes off easily then your crew can quickly remove it if the V2 starts to overheat ;)

Do you have a pic of an overloaded IS2? They must exist.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

stu_the_flat wrote:Can you go into more detail about the furniture? Is that printed or dolls house that looks the correct scale? It looks really cool.

Believe it or not..............Sylvanian Family .............
Its stuff that I stumbled over when on a sadly routine tour through a local toy shop chain store for my girls :/
Measuring them against figures I have and relevant pictures from the net, they are close enough.
Plastic came in a green colour which I painted to look a bit like varnished wood.
Everything I see now is fed into the matrix to be analysed for potential use to tanking............. :shifty:
I'm going to pretend they are an expensive material that was too good to be left behind when the crew rolled through a German town on the way to Berlin.
The Cognac barrel was a pick up from a hobby show that the old geezers were having trouble moving.
Made of good quality & weighty cast metal. I also have mugs & a small cask made the same way to match.
Turns out that the small wooden barrels are exactly the size of the small ones that were used to store cognac or wine, I have a period picture of some very happy German soldiers with one !
Attachments
2021%2F0804%2F51e874e8j00qxawir0039c000rs00icm.jpg
2021%2F0804%2F51e874e8j00qxawir0039c000rs00icm.jpg (90.77 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Herman, you raise the bar regarding a masterclass in 'how to do Russian' right - or should I say 'raise the log' :haha: I think it's one of those things, like stowage on a Sherman, that has to be done and in this case looks very realistic - so much so I am now re-thinking the log on my recently completed T-34. I've been quietly watching here and am slowly becoming more convinced I really need to get me an IS-2!! I just love the look of this tank and how you are putting it together :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Nice work again. However l'm curious Mr Bix. I know that the ambient temperatures would be low through most of the year but would the engine suffer from a lack of cold air getting to the radiators if covers by a tarp?

When l look at images of the Russian tanks they were certainly used as a form of military transport during the early years but later in ww2 you only seem to see troops on the rear decks. Don't get me wrong, l love stowage and my sole Sherman can barely be seen for what looks like the contents of the average blokes shed, but on the rear of an IS-2? Not so common. Still, if it's comes off easily then your crew can quickly remove it if the V2 starts to overheat ;)

Do you have a pic of an overloaded IS2? They must exist.
There are quite a few Mr Jumbo.........
Later on the supply lines were very extended & this drove the Soviets to carting ammo & fuel on the rear, as well as the booty that was their right to take being the conquering army that swept all before it.
It is apparently a thing that enlisted men could send 20kg/month of souveniers back home, and the officers 40kgs!!
Small arms ammo, tank ammo and Diesel was seen in crates & drums, everything else was sen on the deck.
I can only guess that the engines ran cool enough to cope with a fair bit of coverage !
There are a lot of pics of JS's with the rear end loaded with the necessities of war............
Attachments
9d182-trhyhtrythryhrty_1.jpg
note the machine in the distance
note the machine in the distance
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Dr Phibes wrote:Herman, you raise the bar regarding a masterclass in 'how to do Russian' right - or should I say 'raise the log' :haha: I think it's one of those things, like stowage on a Sherman, that has to be done and in this case looks very realistic - so much so I am now re-thinking the log on my recently completed T-34. I've been quietly watching here and am slowly becoming more convinced I really need to get me an IS-2!! I just love the look of this tank and how you are putting it together :thumbup:

Thanks Good Dr.............just GET ONE !!!!!!
Whats the worst that can happen ??................your mudguards get broken in the post :eh: ?
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01

Yes, l guess so. That V2 was a bit special, wasn't it? Given the rarity of Russian transport at the time, l'm surprised the tank wasn't used to haul trailers between battle fields.
General Jumbo01

If you do decide to buy one Dr, you'll know as soon as it arrives that you made the right decision! They are gorgeous!!
tankme

Post by tankme »

General Jumbo01 wrote:If you do decide to buy one Dr, you'll know as soon as it arrives that you made the right decision! They are gorgeous!!
The IS-2 from Taigen is very substantial and heavy as heck. One thing I found is that they used the same crinkle paint on the barrel so that is definitely something I need to sand smooth as the barrels not rough cast like that.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Other Builds”