IS-2 "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: IS-2M "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ad Lav wrote:Mr Surfacer is my go to texture paint as well. Nice job :)
Thank Mr Lav, the blend of Mr Surfacer and Tamy putty is a bitch to clean out of the brush, but does the right job.
I have just had a very kind member pm me some mind blowing info on these machines development & detailed timeline of various improvements that I thought was only available for more popular German tanks, just waiting for his approval to share it in case he wishes things kept on the down low.
But, safe now to say that i have to do a Looooot more to this than I was expecting !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Jimster wrote:Awesome texture! Are you gonna get some stencils from Rad?
cheers Mr Jimster, not sure yet but I shall certainly put in an order once I decide.
A thing with the metal turret is that the details & methods I normally go too are not possible, so i have to evolve a method to get the look a different way.
I will get there, just by a different path ! :think:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

http://tigerscorner.ru/gallery/index.ph ... &showall=1

Thanks to Mr Blimp for this excellent info on the JS series.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I whipped up a quick speaker box for my last Visy 7 in my captivity.
Taking guidance from Mr Painless's mod, I was careful to make the box as low as possible so it could go under the hull lock as far as possible.
A full size battery fits but the unrequired mounting sockets on the bottom of the smoker unit had to be removed to allow the hull to snap shut.
for a big tank there really isnt a lot of space in the hull.
I attached the volume & on/off to the box as well, so no design-brain-fart fail under the engine hatch for me :crazy:
The sound out of the Taigen board is great, not elmod great, but good enough and plenty loud.
Considering the speaker is right at the front, there is loads of volume as the shape of the hull seems to channel the sound to the rear & out the massive vents.

Next job is rear plate I think.
Attachments
78F517D0-F73F-42B7-8FB4-656C073248AA.jpeg
37A4B13C-7E3B-45E5-93C7-3A5D22F630EC.jpeg
7E6DB113-5859-45BD-A26D-BA1B4598AD48.jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The barrel travel lock mechanism is next on the list.
Glad its there at all, but its not been made to remotely work.
I've cut the thing and drilled 1mm holes in the hinge & mounting points,fitted little brass nuts & bolts, now I need to figure out how to make the tie bolt part work.
The inside diameter of the clamp is too small for the section of the barrel that would rest in it, so Im going to have to open that out as well. :/
Really another case of "but why" ?...............I will never use it, so why the mucking around to make it a bit better than what it is ?? 8O
Attachments
At least it opens now
At least it opens now
1A6B3685-35E5-4565-B1ED-E2862692AF3F.jpeg
As it came
As it came
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Between watching a bit of NZ V Bangladesh cricket test, T20 cricket and now the Tennis has begun,(God I miss sport on TV) I set about finishing the barrel travel lock and then the redundant fuel tank brackets :crazy:

Travel lock is in place, has full operating ability if I can be assed twiddling with a 1mm nut, and it can at least be placed in a position other than flat on the rear plate if I want.
Still need to run a bit of faux weld around the mounts, but its as done as I can make it.
Was going to make one out of brass, but only if reusing the plastic one failed. Glad it went well enough to go again.

My mind is not 100% made up on fuel tanks for the left side, but the brackets that hold them need to go on.
Again, I was going to make these out of brass only if necessary, but dissolving the cylinders to green dust & saving the base mounts paid off.
I used a razor saw to remove them, so the tags which were glued in at the Taigen factory remained in the sides of the hull.
Once the brackets were dressed & ready to mount, I drilled a 1mm hole into the rear of each one, super glued a short length of brass tube into the hole, and then matched that position to the hull where another hole was drilled.
Each one was then superglued into position.
I'm not too worried about bashing any off in use, that is what it is, at least the damage will be worth it !

Some advice for anyone that wants one of these, get one thats unpainted :/ ...........
The Taigen paint is thick and holy -crap is it tough 8O
I get it , they want durable paint for the masses to be long time happy with, but man, for anyone that wants to do stuff to one later ?.......
(insert poop emoji)
Mr Mekker painted directly over his for good reason, but I wonder if the base coat will still affect the finish ?
Anyhow, thats just me :problem:

The fuel tank brackets could still be used to hold a ubiquitous log, or other stowage at least.
But the Taigen JS-2 seems to look better with its guards removed..............a bit like a King Tiger ;)
Attachments
2814A799-CD46-437F-BDB7-45320460E820.jpeg
A83CD2CB-8BB1-4586-A094-82EEFED0226A.jpeg
3D7E2B15-34C8-4E87-AA9F-B32AC5996274.jpeg
CB036D5B-6A9F-4B85-A352-44B84CAC0571.jpeg
2182FF26-99D7-409A-800D-8AD2EAB12DA7.jpeg
39AC910C-5748-49C0-A452-962AD70B22B6.jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

During a search for a base coat colour product, I found a new can of Mr Surfacer 500 spray !
Masked the turret roof and bunged some on.
It perfectly covers the white band that I had failed to completely remove.
It also went onto the engine deck and hull sides around the fuel tank brackets while I was at it. ;)

not far from primer now methinks :think:
Attachments
0C1E9AC1-FC7B-4B2F-97B0-BCE31132DB8E.jpeg
37E94A78-04F0-44E9-9C0B-E0DFB1D6BBBD.jpeg
2BAC4C67-02F9-4A03-9927-F38E9388D1A2.jpeg
6FAFBDC5-E17A-4281-A33B-B741A6429FCD.jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I forgot to mention a moment during the fuel tank bracket recovery mission.................

I was cutting the tank sections apart with a razor saw leaving the small mounts to be dressed by a combination of files and dremel sander.
There was green plastic from the Soviet peoples breakthrough weapon from a%*&%^le to breakfast time.
I took a swig of my Capitalist U.S. manufactured Tennessee whisky only to find the Soviets had ejected plastic into said refreshment to poison the well so to speak :problem:
Sensing some sort of Cold War uprising, I strained the contaminants out( no one likes to waste single barrel of any brand) and finished it, switched to a Vodka & tonic & carried on.
Would you believe that not a single particle of Russian tank plastic found its way into the new libation :shifty: :wtf:

That warning duly noted, if I was ever to build a British tank( :lolno: ) I would be wise to select a cheeky Gin & tonic or premier Scotch :eh:
Or, God forbid, a stiff cup of tea :haha:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Lol :)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

My 2 cents worthless: Bix, for 1/16, I like Mr. Surfacer 500 as the primer for the whole tank, as it creates a slightly rougher texture, perfect for WWII Soviet AFVs. Now back to the bottle---er--spray can with you.

Return to “Other Builds”