Another (Taigen) Late Panther G , 'Müncheberg' IR April 45

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Another (Taigen) Late Panther G , 'Müncheberg' IR April

Post by Jimster »

Wow, you’re getting serious about this! Excellent engineering.
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

You are a very skillful DR, DR.
Wonderful surgery. :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Wow, Dr. Phibes!

Your 3D box for the speaker and the TK80/Tarr are fabulous works of art in their own right! :clap: :thumbup: The Panther too is very wonderful! I think it's innards and exterior are both going to be amazing in the end and equally sexy!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Amazing work. It is really clean. I like the interior layout. :thumbup:
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Many thanks for the comments, it's much appreciated.
So, a further little update this time as researching 'nr.122' led me to ponder (probably obsessively :/ ) further on the issue of paint and camouflage. On this occasion there is some clear pictorial evidence, at least regarding the pattern if not so much the colours themselves. As previously suggested, I intended to follow the scheme presented by the 'Star Decals' schematic but have discovered yet another reference to nr.122 specifically in a book on late '45 Berlin Panthers authored by Dennis Oliver. The colours and camouflage pattern in particular are clearly drawn from and consistent with the available pictures, which is very useful;
DO Panther 122 Camo.jpg
Comparing with the previous existing images I posted earlier and the only other I have found (beneath) the camo pattern similarity is striking;
Panther G 122 (5a).jpg
However, a couple of things I am not sure about is the left side sprocket colour, which I think looks darker and is probably rotbrun/red oxide or olivegrun (like the right side). Also, i tend to agree with the 'Star' depiction of either rotbrun or (more likely) factory painted red oxide on the lower hull (behind the wheels). I realise this all still rather speculative as, in the end, colours in particular are really quite indeterminate as regards to these old images. Anyway, I intend to follow Oliver's schematic for the most part but probably incorporating what I think is more correct regarding the lower hull and sprockets.

A further issue I raised earlier is also highlighted by Oliver's book and camo scheme, which is the idler wheel. As mentioned previously, as a Daimler-Benz factory product (if this is correct) the idler wheel would have been of the older, non-self-cleaning, type (which have a kind of single spoke). As far as I understand only the MAN and MHN factories upgraded to the new improved idler. Oliver's picture above shows the idler wheel of this later, self-cleaning, type that in appearance has a sort of double spoke.
Looking closer at the earlier picture (as below) I am now fairly convinced that nr.122 was no different to other Daimler-Benz Panthers and is sporting the older style idler wheel. This is fine as I have in my possession already the older type A Taigen idler to swap over;
Idler Wheel - Type A Early.jpg
Returning to the bat cave, and slowly emerging Panther build itself, the next step was to create a switch box with a small wiring loom for both the main and smoker switches and a place to locate the volume control (although not strictly necessary as the Clark TK80 can be easily set to control audio volume with the transmitter it is useful to have a physical master control on the machine so as to be able set maximum demand on the on board audio amp);
Lower Hull Rebuild - Final (1).jpg
And here it is installed along with the battery, etc.
Lower Hull Rebuild - Final (4).jpg
Lower Hull Rebuild - Final (3).jpg
All in it is a pretty tight fit but I'm quite pleased with it. What I like is that it almost a modular installation and can be very easily removed for tweaking the suspension and running gear generally. Having also set up the TK80 and run it around a bit it seems, so far at least, rock solid;
Lower Hull Rebuild - Final (6).jpg
Apart from changing the idler wheels and the colour of the sprockets I'm about finished with the lower hull, for now at least. As I say, just a little update this time around ;) . The next step will probably be the the rear armour (i.e exhausts and the tricky bit, the Infrared device storage box in particular) or I might make a start on the upper hull/turret - hmm, decision, decisions :crazy: :D
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Good evening, following admiring work of goldsmith of your Panther, just for information an article on the system Infra red German. and a video from youtube...
:)
http://www.caraktere.com/articles/BB31-nachtjager.pdf
Vidéo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg16q1NxSnQ
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

If the outside comes up as good as the inside, we are in for a treat :thumbup:
As for the colours, I reckon you cant go wrong using the MIG/AK late war set.
Attachments
43E299A0-9108-4912-820A-9038E06207AB.jpeg
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
RiskyR
Lance Corporal

Post by RiskyR »

Looks superb, the inside looks zo clean!
I've been wondering, does a speaker box have that much effect on the sound?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G970F met Tapatalk
In progress:
M4A1(75)
M4A1(76)W HVSS
M4A2 Fisher
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

RiskyR wrote:Looks superb, the inside looks zo clean!
I've been wondering, does a speaker box have that much effect on the sound?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G970F met Tapatalk
Yes, it does.............It makes me let out a lustful groaning sound every time I see it !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Doc,
I love following your Builds. It is indeed the work of a slightly maniacal Surgeon to get those Panther Innards so clean and organized and most importantly, functioning. I have a late War Panther G rebuild that will require a new lower. Do not be surprised if I hit you up for one of those Smoker\Speaker boxes in a year soon to come. Following along!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”