Cast turret 1942 KV-1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Re: Cast turret 1942 KV-1

Post by stu_the_flat »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:"I am no so ashamed of it'" Darn right! It's lookin' good to me.
As to thinning paint to the consistency of milk (I have also read "2% milk"), I have heard this advice in the mid-1970s, but I could never figure out how to compare paint with milk. Maybe I should thin a paint for spraying, drink some milk, and then drink some of the paint. That way, I'll never have to worry about it again. :P

Lets agree never to talk about the indecent were I was painting with the white paint for the lettering! :P
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

tankme wrote:Where are your sprocket center covers...Did you forget to paint them? :) Because I've done that myself.
Pearls of buying second hand. It did come with sprocket covers... they fit my Tiger 1 very well! you might also notice some chipping on the paint work. that not some voluntary technique. It appears to have been spray painted with a rattle can without any primer. so I am going to seal it today and just kind of hope it all hangs on!
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Kaczor wrote:Turret looks great.
Thanks, I've not done any weathering on the sides of the turret yet as I am waiting for some sealant to arrive.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

So I've been back to this tank. I've swapped the tortion bars around so that it's no long sitting like an aircraft. I was really keen to do something with the copper tow cables. I've accumulated 6 of them now.

I primed them in Halfords primer that did say it was for use on metal. However it's peeling very easily. So not sure if they can be rescued? Image

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Hold them as best you can & burn them with a lighter or BBQ igniter torch.
It gets all the residual oil out.
Then use unthinned paint straight on them.
If the glue that holds the copper into the spelters comes adrift, tidy it up & superglue it back in !

The copper goes a blue shade when its heated & any oil etc smokes off.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

She got new shoes for Valentines Day! The tracks arrived! :) Also got the smoke/vapour unit hooked up. I've been weathering the underside with AK splash effect mud that I mix with surgical plaster. Still to scared to weather the top of the tank were people can actually see. Also it might be a bit silly doing mud weathering when I could just consult my nearest puddle for all the realistic mud I want! :)

Edit. hmm seems photos don't want to load. I'll try and fix that

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

So still plenty to do but thought I would update. I've started adding mud with I have been mixing in surgical plaster to bulk it up a bit, also a bit of the metal front broke off so this technique was a good excuse to strengthen a weakened part. at this stage it looks a bit weird but hoping I can blend it all in a bit more. The ammo boxes from the T-34 fitted really nicely on the mud guards but I am not sure if I will keep them.
Attachments
mud-1005.jpg
mud-1004.jpg
mud-1003.jpg
mud-1002.jpg
mud-1001.jpg
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Post by MITCH »

A beautiful KV1!!! :clap: The right track is mounted upside down ;)
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

So that is why it keeps going in circles! :)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Well that's a prize, Stu! :clap: And thanks for the tip, Mitch. I'd better go check mine. :haha:

Return to “Other Builds”