Cast turret 1942 KV-1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Re: Cast turret 1942 KV-1

Post by stu_the_flat »

Thank you very much for your comments the help and advice is inspiring for continuing. I've managed to get the gearbox bearing back to where they should be. I needed a small victory so I wired up the lamp that I have bodged together. It's not a master peace but looks better than the original "thing" that was there. I'm now not going to touch it cause Ill probably break something else!

Think I'll order the taigen tracks from Dave over the weekend. Then I'll try and fashion some stylish jewellery from the mato tracks. ImageImage

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I just went back and looked at my tanks and it seems I made a mistake. It seems the Taigen sprockets are the only odd ball. Looks like the Mato sprockets are the same as the HL sprockets. Since you have Taigen sprockets, you would definitely need Taigen tracks. I bought my first KV second hand so I went through all of these headaches myself.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

So, if your hull (and therefore sprockets) are Taigen, and you have Mato tracks, it seems like just swapping your sprockets for Mato ones would do the trick. (Unless they have a different mounting - like Tamiya ones - and wouldn't fit the Taigen shaft). If they would, then I think I can dig out an extra pair for you. Anybody know?
tankme

Post by tankme »

sassgrunt wrote:So, if your hull (and therefore sprockets) are Taigen, and you have Mato tracks, it seems like just swapping your sprockets for Mato ones would do the trick. (Unless they have a different mounting - like Tamiya ones - and wouldn't fit the Taigen shaft). If they would, then I think I can dig out an extra pair for you. Anybody know?
No...You can't just put the Mato sprockets on the Taigen hull. The shaft of the gearbox would be 10mm too short and the screw would never reach the threads of the gearbox shaft. The Taigen sprockets have a different offset than the HL/Mato ones...IE the shaft length they fit are different. Diameter is the same...length is different. When you swap sprockets to a different type from Taigen to HL or HL to Taigen, the gearboxes have to be matched to the sprockets. Taigen gearbox shaft is 48mm. HL/Mato gearbox shaft is 58mm so if you try to put a Taigen sprocket on a 58mm gearbox the sprocket will stick out 10mm too far.
Derek
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Thank you for that information, tankme. Was hoping we could solve his problem simply.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Tank me is right, Mato don’t do the kv1 their sprockets are for the HL. For toro/Taigen you have to buy their tracks and sprocket
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

So its taking shape now and I am no so ashamed of it so I thought I would take it out into daylight to take some proper photos of it! the tracks are for stopping it rolling around as it does try to escape while I am working on it quite a lot! Got the air brush back out and HERMAN BIX's recommendation of getting the paint to the consistency of milk really helped. I recon I was just trying to run the paint to thick as I felt much more in control of where the paint went this time! I've also opened up the air intake vents. I used a photo etch for T-34, its not a master peace but I am happy with it.
Attachments
KV-1-1007.jpg
KV-1-1005.jpg
KV-1-1004.jpg
KV-1-1003.jpg
KV-1-1002.jpg
KV-1-1001.jpg
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"I am no so ashamed of it'" Darn right! It's lookin' good to me.
As to thinning paint to the consistency of milk (I have also read "2% milk"), I have heard this advice in the mid-1970s, but I could never figure out how to compare paint with milk. Maybe I should thin a paint for spraying, drink some milk, and then drink some of the paint. That way, I'll never have to worry about it again. :P
tankme

Post by tankme »

Where are your sprocket center covers...Did you forget to paint them? :) Because I've done that myself.
Derek
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Turret looks great.

Return to “Other Builds”