T-34/85 with Clark TK-50

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

T-34/85 with Clark TK-50

Post by tankme »

43rdRecceReg wrote: I can't actually grasp the fact that I've finished not one, but two projects lately. :crazy: For me, projects generally get to the 95% complete state (a bit like downloads in the 'dial-up' Eocene period), before I quit, and begin something else.
I'm with you on this point. I finished the ZTZ-99 and the SU-152 then started on the T34/76 pair I started. I soon tired of trying to get the recoil worked out so I started on my KV-1E build. When I found out I didn't have the parts I needed then I started T34/85, but this time I got the T34/85 fully functional. The first 1/16 tank I ever bought was a WSN T-34/85 back in like 2014. When Taigen came out with their T-34/85, I dumped the idea of converting the WSN, sold it on Ebay, and bought a Taigen scratch 'n dent T-34/85. After ripping the guts out of it and having the project sit on the shelf for a few years I'm on the verge of completing it. I've finally got a fully functional T-34/85 in only 6 short years later. Finishing up some details on it and then I'll throw up some build pics.

For now you will have to be satisfied with a quick functions video of the new Clark TK-50:

https://youtu.be/hltWhzDvZlU
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: T-34/85 with Clark TK-50

Post by Raminator »

Looking good, tankme. It's always satisfying to make progress on a stalled project, and getting the functional stuff sorted is usually one of those biggest hurdles.

The Clark board sounds and drives great and they've interested me for a long time, but the archaic TV-remote programming puts me off. I'm glad I stocked up on a handful of TCBs while they were still available, they should keep me going for the next few tanks! Maybe Clark will have joined the 21st century by then! :haha:
tankme

Post by tankme »

The remote isn't so bad once you figure it out. I was able to program all the various settings in about 10 minutes. I do have all the materials from the site printed as I hate having to scroll around the website while doing my configs. I have the drive settings on the tank to not do neutral turns since the real T-34 did not have that capability. It's set the same way on my SU-152 to try and make the driving experience a little more realistic even though the speeds are sometimes too high. The sound effects on the TK-50 seem to be better than the TK-40.
Derek
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It sounds and looks amazing :thumbup: The handling characteristics also look on the nail for scale. :clap:
Only one movement is a tad unconvincing: the elevation. Could a barrel really elevate that quickly? (As if in response to the tank equivalent of Jennifer Lawrence, or Aishwarya Rai Bachchan... :) ).
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tankme

Post by tankme »

I can probably play with the servo setting on that channel to make it slower. :) It's basically just the servo arm directly interfaced with the channel on the side of the Jarlath compact recoil mechanism. I just finished up the last of the details last night I want to add so I can take some pics of it. I haven't added any magnets to the turret yet. I might do that tonight.
Derek
tankme

Post by tankme »

I promised some pics of the tank build so here they are. I decided against using magnets in the turret on this tank. Being the metal Taigen turret I just didn't feel like tackling it on this tank.

I gutted the original Asiatam recoil and elevation out of the tank as I've never liked how slow and noisy they are. I also replaced the original Taigen IR mount with a Clark base which was then mounted in the same location. I modified the loaders hatch to accept the Tamiya apple.

The replacement recoil unit is a Jarlath compact unit. I drilled out the IR emitter hole to make it a little larger and added an extension tube to the emitter to comply with club rules. I reinstalled the Taigen high intensity flash unit.

I built a simple servo mount from styrene and used the channel on the side of the Jarlath compact recoil unit for the elevation.

Added some weld line detail to the front. It's using the Taigen quick release unit to secure the upper to the lower. I had this original theory that I wanted to completely seal the bottom of my tanks so water and dirt couldn't get in so I used to remove the quick release mechanisms. After running my tanks in the dirt I realized that dirt gets in anyway so I started leaving them installed if the stock Taigen/HL upper is used. Might add some wear and tear to the tank...haven't decided yet.

Mounted the on/off and volume under the driver's hatch.

Arrangement of the guts. Very simple, but works. 2S2P Li-Ion 18650 based battery, Clark TK-50, Henntec Taigen T-34 adjustable idlers, and Taigen speaker. I use the HL T-34 Henntec adjustable idlers in the tanks that don't use the Taigen quick release mechanism as I like the adjustable idlers that have the bar that spans the front of the hull. Controlled by an FS-i6S and FS-iA10B since that's what came with the radio.

Some side details.

Back...

Other side. Stole the 3rd gas tank to use on my SU-122 build. Replaced it with an empty tank bracket. Metal tracks, metal road wheels, metal sprockets, metal idlers.

Derek
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Love it !
These things are fun to run amok with when it comes to the level of roughness
What did you use to make the straps ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tankme

Post by tankme »

The straps are actually leather. I found a place that catered to scale horses so I ordered some of the leather straps and buckles they had. So the straps and buckles are actually functional. The straps were a little thick so I hit them with my mini belt sander to thin them down. I will remove them before painting. Just wanted to see how everything looked before doing the finishing work. Maybe not entirely accurate, but I think they were a nice addition. It's a pet peave of mine to see stuff just hanging on a tank with no visible means of attachment... :)

https://www.riorondo.com/hardware/buckles/index.html

2 – LL116d – Leather Lace – Dun Color – 1/16" – Yd – $1.00 x 2 = $2.00
2 – B1330s – Square Buckle – Silver Color – 1/16" – 30/st. – $4.25 x 2 = $8.50

Derek
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

I love what you are doing with this build, especially since I am just wrapping up my own T-34/85 (progressing in my T-34 thread at present). I actually really like the Clark boards and watching your video makes me now think I should perhaps have upgraded the turret to servo recoil after all. As I have said in my thread the Asiatam is a fairly decent unit in my opinion but it just isn't a patch on the 'real recoil' movement the Clark boards deliver - very evident in your demonstration! :thumbup:
Good work and and very nice T-34 indeed coming together here. I'm now interested in the new TK50 too. I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile upgrading my King Tiger from a TK24 to the TK50, assuming they are available in the S-bus version (it wasn't clear which version yours is?).
tankme

Post by tankme »

Mine is the SBus version.
Derek

Return to “Other Builds”