VK 16.02 Leopard

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Edumardo
Private

VK 16.02 Leopard

Post by Edumardo »

Hi all,

I start this topic to document the construction of VK 16.02 Leopard. The Leopard was a German prototype of light reconnaissance tank, finally canceled and no prototype was built (more information here).

This model is going to be my first build "from scratch", and I have chosen it by several reasons:
  • It is a relatively small tank, with a length of about 30 cm (without the barrel).
  • With the exception of the turret sides, no armor plate has curvatures
  • I have the blueprints.
  • Suspension is very similar to the Panther, so I will use the same components from Heng Long Panther.
  • It's exclusive 8) (I've seen only only one RC in this video).
  • As it was never real built, it gives me the freedom to improvise/change certain parts.
Regarding bibliography and documentation, my primary source will be "Panzer Tracts 20-2 - Paper Panzers" book from Jentz & Doyle, where it has the original july 1942 blueprint. Additionally, there are other more or less faithful references to the original drawing:
To help me in the construction I have chosen to model in 3D, using as reference the original blueprint. Some considerations:
  • I'm using Onshape as CAD software, and you cand view the model here.
  • It is made as independent parts, perfect for taking measurements and to move to he mateeial or even 3d print them.
  • I'm learning CAD, therefore operations and/or methodology cannot be the most accurate
  • The model is fully under construcction, there are draft sketches, redundant operations, duplicate parts, etc. I don't guarantee that all pieces have the same dimensions from one day to another. I fyou have doubts, ask me without problem.
Ok then but, what will it lool like? It should look like this :D
2021-06-14 15_44_21-VK 16.02 1_16 _ Part Studio 1.png
PD: Sorry for my english
Edumardo
Private

Re: VK 16.02 Leopard

Post by Edumardo »

Hi again,

One important thing. I started the construction few months ago and there may be discrepancy between the uploaded photos and the current model in onshape. If you are really interested in the chronological order, ,please visit this topic in the spanish forum La Cadena Herrumbrosa. A lot of spoilers inside!

Cheers.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Doubtless, many here will be curious to see how this build goes along, Edumardo!. Builds of rarities are especially welcome, I'm sure. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Edumardo
Private

Post by Edumardo »

Thanks for the links, I didn't know some of them ;) . Another one that has inspired me and I forgot is this model for War Thunder game:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php? ... 2-leopard/
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Edumardo
Private

Post by Edumardo »

Hi,

Since I'm going to use the suspension parts of Heng Long Panther, I needed to get the measurements of the swing arm support, both the hole with screw and spring and the rectangle to simulate the torsion bar effect. I have modeled taking as reference the Heng Long plastic model:
2021-06-15 09_36_37-Window.png
2021-012.png
2021-012.png (48.74 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
swinga13.png
swinga11.jpg
swinga11.jpg (72.25 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
LK88
Private

Post by LK88 »

I have one type for you, arched tracks for the movement of the shoulders, the cutout, do longer than the original, I once grinded these tracks on my first tank, which serve as stops for the movement of the shoulders, and made them much longer in the plastic tub, movement, suspension and behavior the chassis has changed dramatically ...
https://youtu.be/QtNRsqeTe-I
Edumardo
Private

Post by Edumardo »

LK88 wrote:I have one type for you, arched tracks for the movement of the shoulders, the cutout, do longer than the original, I once grinded these tracks on my first tank, which serve as stops for the movement of the shoulders, and made them much longer in the plastic tub, movement, suspension and behavior the chassis has changed dramatically ...
https://youtu.be/QtNRsqeTe-I
Hi LK88. If I have understood properly, you have enlarged this gap, right?
2021-10-22 12_18_44-Window.png
2021-10-22 12_18_44-Window.png (55.9 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
Your jagdpanther moves very smooth :clap: thanks for the idea!
LK88
Private

Post by LK88 »

yes exactly, this gap for arm travel ..

Return to “Other Builds”