WCP Jeep-questions and simple build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: WCP Jeep-questions and simple build

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thank you again and again, Lee. The video, too, will help the vidiot. ("Do I have to draw a picture for ya?" Yep!)

You anticipated one of my musings: I was thinking of buying a cheap ESC to avoid risking a good one, especially given my record of flambeau par excellance.

Interesting: today there were three other modelers around when I smoked the receiver. The two oldest ones understood why I was laughing. :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thank you again and again, Lee. The video, too, will help the vidiot. ("Do I have to draw a picture for ya?" Yep!)

You anticipated one of my musings: I was thinking of buying a cheap ESC to avoid risking a good one, especially given my record of flambeau par excellance.

Interesting: today there were three other modelers around when I smoked the receiver. The two oldest ones understood why I was laughing. :haha:
Oh no!
Just caught up here! Yeah thats not good.

Connections as Lee has mentioned(excuse my rough schematic below)

Battery ----(2 wire balck and red lead)-- ESC --(3 pin black red white most likely)-- Receiver (powered by esc which should have BEC) ---(3 pin black red white most likely)-- then receiver to servo for steering
I................................................I
I................................................I
I................................................(Plugged in ESC)Wiring to motors(make sure you get motors going correct way, if one axle turns wrong way, just swap the +ve and -ve terminals on that one motor
I
If you can squeeze it in lipo alarm(plugs into the 3 pin plug if 2s lipo which are the white connectors)

If you want to power lights you can normally do this using a spare receiver channel and make up a small circuit with leds plugged into receiver. be careful to not try to drive too many, but 6 should be ok. However check voltages. you can buy LED which can run receiver voltage and that will probably be around 5v, but easy to check if careful with multimeter

Enjoy
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:
Venom 300.jpg
Given one 3-prong plug that fit the three prongs of the B/VCC connector, I chose the 3-prong plug that fit. You guessed it: :O
That is a 2 cell Lipo with one balance lead (3 prong 2.5mm pitch JST-XH), one 2 pin "Supply" output (Red connector, known as JST-RCY, 2.5mm pitch), and an E-Flite Power plug (3 pin JST-PH, 2.0mm pitch)
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:
fried rx.jpg
(I removed the plastic cover from the receiver after the fireworks display.) I do have another FSiA6 receiver (I bought two; should have bought three or four). So how do I try binding the second receiver, avoiding the POP! the nasty smell, and laughter amid the tears? :'( :haha:
OK, most receivers can only handle 6V maximum input, and having voltage on all three pins of the servo connection is asking for burnout...
On the receiver, all channels have 3 pins which are labeled -ve, +ve, and Sig. you only need to connect a battery/ESC to a single channel to power the receiver. Servos take power from those channel connections, and batteries and ESC's supply power. All the channels' -ve and +ve pins are all connected, so do not connect an ESC AND a battery pack as you will double up power. (multiple ESC disconnect the +ve power line from all additional ESC's after the first one, to prevent overpowering of the receiver.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Will and Jarlath: thanks for jumping in here. I have a busy time ahead of me at least through the coming weekend before I get back to the electronics. I will print out all your advice and read it over and over. (I have also been printing out explanations from various internet sites and reading.) I'll get it one of these days, weeks, years. Too bad it's so isolated here: if I could have some "in person" help I would probably catch on faster...well, OK, a little faster. Stay tuned for more comic relief. ;)
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Will and Jarlath: thanks for jumping in here. I have a busy time ahead of me at least through the coming weekend before I get back to the electronics. I will print out all your advice and read it over and over. (I have also been printing out explanations from various internet sites and reading.) I'll get it one of these days, weeks, years. Too bad it's so isolated here: if I could have some "in person" help I would probably catch on faster...well, OK, a little faster. Stay tuned for more comic relief. ;)
Venom300.jpg
Jeep01.jpg
OK. Lets do a connection set.
The 2 Prong red connector on the battery connects with the mating connector on the ESC (labelled A).
The black 3 prong connector on the ESC (labelled D) is what connects to your receiver into the channel that you will be applying throttle with.
The two loose ends (labelled E) connect to your motor.

To bind your RX. make sure the motor connections are either attached to the motor or not touching together. Put the bind plug in the RX in the proper bind slot.
Plug the ESC into any remaining channel of the RX, then connect the battery to the ESC. Turning the ESC on (Switch labelled B) will power the RX and have it ready to be bound to your transmitter.

Once bound, turn off the ESC, which then de-powers the RX. Then turn off the TX. Remove bind plug. Disconnect battery/ESC/RX as needed.

RX's usually put out a maximum of 2A total current for ALL channels.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

An update from Foibleland. I have been busier than a centipede at a toe-counting contest, grabbing a moment here and there to keep learning and trying.

I have thrice now tried binding the (unburnt) FSiA6 receiver, both times with no success--but without any smoke or smell. I consider that progress. :haha:

I then tried the FSiA6B that came with the FlySky and was said to already be bound to the transmitter. It shows a steady red light, indicating that it is, indeed, bound correctly.

So I hooked the bound FSiA6B receiver to the servo for steering. Nothing...nichts...nada. :think: My next attempt will be to buy an ESC and a servo (I will eventually need both for projects I have in mind). These I will try with the FlySky and the FSiA6B to check the possibility, however unlikely, that the ESC in the 1/4 ton 4X4 is fried.

WARNING: I can be maddeningly patient.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:An update from Foibleland. I have been busier than a centipede at a toe-counting contest, grabbing a moment here and there to keep learning and trying.

I have thrice now tried binding the (unburnt) FSiA6 receiver, both times with no success--but without any smoke or smell. I consider that progress. :haha:

I then tried the FSiA6B that came with the FlySky and was said to already be bound to the transmitter. It shows a steady red light, indicating that it is, indeed, bound correctly.

So I hooked the bound FSiA6B receiver to the servo for steering. Nothing...nichts...nada. :think: My next attempt will be to buy an ESC and a servo (I will eventually need both for projects I have in mind). These I will try with the FlySky and the FSiA6B to check the possibility, however unlikely, that the ESC in the 1/4 ton 4X4 is fried.

WARNING: I can be maddeningly patient.

Oh no.
Dis you try the bind plug in the receiver on bcc
go thru the correct sequence on transmitter

What you do is plug in with power to receiver and then turn the transmitter on, but make sure you are holding the black button bottom left corner and have throttle stick all the way down and it should come up saying bind ok.

Otherwise try and get that ia6b receiver out the box it is in and squeeze it in somewhere.

As for the esc, have you fried the esc? Sounds a bit odd the servo dead aswell. Sounds like there no power as both units were tested after fitting.
If needed we can get parts sent out however if any issue with them.

Have you got another transmitter and receiver setup you can try with the servo and then try also the esc?

Really sorry to hear you having issues with it still. Maybe we can get caught up together on a video call and run thru everything together. :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :)
i dont know if can help? found this on youtube, and on the net the different
Flysky 'transmitters and receivers compatible with each other, good reading
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Z0rTVEkHI
3D2E4C70-264B-49BF-A985-E55A218F597B.jpeg
3D2E4C70-264B-49BF-A985-E55A218F597B.jpeg (81.73 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you Jofaur: good idea to check a compatibility chart, and I thank you for your troubles. I had a compatibility chart printed out on the modeling table. The FlySky I have is an FS-i6 and. as the chart you found shows, it's compatible with the iA6 and iA6B receivers. I have no reason to doubt compatibility. (I did buy the iA6 receivers on eBay, so I suppose it's possible that they were both kaput from the outset, but it seems unlikely: the seller has a longstanding, good reputation and I have no reason to doubt it.)

Thank you, Will: I correlated the instructions 1) that came from the FlySky manual I had to find on the web with 2) the video Lee (Modelbuilder 4) indicated and 3) another list of steps I found online. They all agreed, and I followed them thrice with care to check each step of the way. (When over a week ago I fried the first iA6 receiver, I clearly did the connections the wrong way, but in that case, the 4X4 with its ESC and servo were not at all involved. They should be just fine.)

As I mentioned above, my best idea now is to get another compatible ESC and another servo to use for another test. I will work on the problem as I have time. Just now I have a sick doggie (sigh) for whom to fetch medicines and the National Farm Toy Show to attend this weekend. Multiple addictions require extra time. :D
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) I wouldn't allow you to question your knowledge :{ but it would be really exceptional that these RX are defective? waiting for the Esc, could possibly do this kind of tests? this is a suggestion, and tries to help, from my modest knowledge, good luck
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3BhA2F20o

Return to “Other Builds”