WCP Jeep-questions and simple build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

WCP Jeep-questions and simple build

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I have some goodies from RCTW's Will and Catherine with more to come, so I want to get started. I restarted modeling ten years ago after my retirement, still having some tools from my youth, including a good ol' airbrush. In the past five years, have also worked with resin for figures and accessories. So I am not too concerned about the painting, etc. (except that 1/16 now better suits my eyesight).

However, the only work I have done with electronics is to rebind standard issue Taigen/Torro or HengLong transmitters, change out Taigen/Torro electronics from V1 to V2 and on to V3 with sound, and replace faulty "stock" parts here and there. All really simple stuff. I can solder a bit, but apart from that I am a rather a neophyte.

So this, perhaps, is a "build" of a sort, except I will need your kind help. For starters, I have WCP's 4X4 quarter ton truck. ( :clap: :thumbup: :D ) As soon as I get some photos through PhotoShop and uploaded via my snail's-pace rural US internet connection, I will post a few photos with my question.
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: WCP Jeep-questions and simple build

Post by Estnische »

Here then, is some potential inspiration.

phpBB [video]

Look forward to seeing some pictures - we like pictures...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Ah, Estniche: those rugged desert 4X4 quarter ton trucks are popular because of the SAS and Rat Patrol. (I haven't yet picked an exact prototype, but I will likely ask Rad to make the markings.) I have a soft spot for the ubiquitous, inglorious, ordinary OD 4X4 quarter ton truck, and I hope eventually to find an interesting driver. I do have radios and all sorts of WWII vintage stuff to pile into it. Photos and questions next...
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Here come the first of many questions.

I have guesses as to the purposes of each of A through J, but I am checking here. Once I have these all correctly identified, I will have more questions.
Jeep 01.jpg
A: goes to ...?
B: is obviously the on/off switch under the passenger seat.
C: is the receiver/controller board or ? under the driver's seat
D: goes to ...?
E: goes to ...?

Jeep 02.jpg
F: this must be the steering servo
G: goes to ...?
H: goes to ...?
J: goes to ...?
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

A: battery
C: Electronic speed controller (ESC)
D: Receiver (neutral, active and signal wires)
E: motor

G: goes to receiver
H und J: look like lights front and rear, so it goes to whatever supplies the correct voltage (5v? 3.7v?)

But I am a novice - don't trust me!
Last edited by Estnische on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Right then professor here goes :D

A - is where you plug a 2s lipo battery into
B - as you rightly say is the on/off switch
C - is the esc ( electronic speed controller ) which is basically the small brain's running the jeep
D - plugs into the throttle channel on your receiver
E - are the cables ( minus a connector ? ) into which your motor cables should go
F - is the steering servo
G - is the steering servo plug and goes into channel 2 on your receiver ( next one over to the throttle channel )

H and J - these are the cables from the motors, you can fit an appropriate connector to plug them into the corresponding connector that you should fit to E.

Hope this little lot will get you started :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Here is the same jeep that you have from WCP models that I have done a bit of work on, please feel free to ask any questions you have about the build and I'll help out as best I can :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31590&hilit=Willys+jeep

Cheers, Lee.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you Estniche and Model Builder.

Lee: Just about a month ago, I figured out that if I use the "Board Index" link alone, I miss some posts. If use the "View New Posts" link alone, same problem. So I now use both and then "View your posts," too. But I seem to have forgotten your 4X4 quarter ton truck build! The look of your 4X4 quarter ton truck is just the sort I like.

A - is where you plug a 2s lipo battery into
B - as you rightly say is the on/off switch
C - is the esc ( electronic speed controller ) which is basically the small brain's running the jeep
D - plugs into the throttle channel on your receiver
E - are the cables ( minus a connector ? ) into which your motor cables should go
F - is the steering servo
G - is the steering servo plug and goes into channel 2 on your receiver ( next one over to the throttle channel )
H and J - these are the cables from the motors, you can fit an appropriate connector to plug them into the corresponding connector that you should fit to E.

If I had to guess as to the connectors, I would have done alright. I see that my next challenge will be getting a transmitter, receiver, battery, and charger. Hmm... I could go to a hobby store later this week.... @) I am thinking about a FlySky with six channels...
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Try and get the smallest most suitable receiver and battery required, as you've most probably worked out there isn't very many hiding places within the jeep to put all such items. I opted to go with a trailer as I have also added a sound unit which requires a separate speaker and headlights that requires it's own switch so I needed a lot more space to put everything in :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Hello. Good to see you got stuck into the 1/4 ton utility truck.
For the radio gear dumbo rc do a trigger setup cheap.and the beat bit is the receiver is tiny and fits easily in front engine bay, although I always remove the plastic box.
The other option is flysky fsia6 receiver the one that looks like it has no box. I will try and get a picture to you.
In Catherine's 1/4 ton I use the flysky.
It fits and slides behind the front servo. And with some careful cable management can fit nicely under bonnet.
The mini 2s lipo I use fits under the dashboard area. It is tight, but it does work.
As for drivers we now are printing resin figures and we have a cool British driver.

I will send some info thru soon. Enjoy the build. It is a challenging little project but as you will see from Lee they are definitely worth the effort.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Other Builds”