WCP Jeep-questions and simple build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: WCP Jeep-questions and simple build

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I told you that I am slo-o-ow. I see that it has been since December 30 that I have posted on this "build" (of sorts). Yesterday (Tuesday 8-3-22), I ran the little 4X4 running well as my modeling pals. The last time the Tuesday modelers had seen the vehicle (12 Oct. 2021 above), it went "poof" and emitted smoke, causing derisive sniffs, hoots and skepticism among the others :haha:

I am using the accurate, non-directional printed tires because I doubt I would run this little 4X4 anywhere but on the carpeting in my home or downstairs on the concrete basement floor.

I have created a platform to cover the battery and switch in the rear seat area. I plan to pile a 3D printed radio and assorted stuff to make the little vehicle look as if it's loaded for a command post or the like. When a few 3D printed accessories arrive, I will incorporate them and move on the great stencils Rad made for me. Then I plan to use pigments to dust it up a bit for light weathering. Finally I will paint a G.I. driver.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Sounds great, can't wait to see it all painted up and we all want to see a video :)
If you want a radio I do have the exact design one and mount to suit the back of the jeep.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Some time ago, Will, I got a load of 1/16 3D printed US and German accessories from Pat O'Day at <https://www.battlegroundmodels.com/> here in the States. I picked up various WWII German food and cookware (now useful: guess what those will go with :D ). I am going to switch over for a while to a 1/18 model 1941 Ford convertible (to go with the no-longer available ( :'( ) American Diorama Pearl Harbor figures). When various paint is drying on the car, I can switch to paint the Gulaschkanone (likely in Dunkelgrau, because it's on wooden wheels like an early war piece) and the searchlight (likely in Dunkelgelb, but I need to ascertain that the Luftwaffe definitely did not use another color on the searchlights and generators).
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Because I live in dense woodland on the side of glacial kettle, I often have trouble getting internet a home, and such has been the case for about a week. The 1/18 scale 1941 Chevrolet convertible that I mentioned above was supposed to be a short, easy modeling diversion. :D

However, I got back to the 1/4 ton 4X4. I don't consider this project done, especially as I am wondering about just the weathering effect I want.

I want to find some clear headlight lenses. I found some on eBay from a 1/16 1955 Chevrolet kit, but they turned out to be too big and reducing their diameter would not be satisfactory. I think I measured the recessed opening for the headlights at 8 mm. For now, I have the openings filled with a clear gloss filler mixed with bright silver. It would be a fine background for clear lenses with detail.

Above all, I hardly consider this an exemplary build, there being far better examples here on RCTW (e.g. that of Model builder 4). Rather, this vehicle helps me slowly build my skills by trying some electronics and some very modest scratch building.
Jeep Ft Lt Qtr.jpg
Jeep Rear.jpg
Jeep Rt Side.jpg
Jeep with SCR 510.jpg
Jeep with SCR 510.jpg (97.45 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Really coming together nicely.
Looks ace.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Doc, Molotow make a range of different sized pens filled with "Liquid Chrome" that I use for headlight and mirror lenses,
I promise you won't use silver paint as a substitute ever again :thumbup:
Available in 1mm/2mm/4mm and 5mm size nib a 30ml refill bottle is available which can be used on all size pens,
http://www.cassart.co.uk/
Just type Molotow in the Cassarts search box for more information.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Yes, indeed, Jarndice, thank you. I have heard nothing but good about the chrome pens. I can mail order here in the States or even fetch one from a hobby store about 100 kilometers away. The chrome can cover the silver inside before I put in clear lenses. A source for clear lenses with detail is what I want to find.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Will, you can see the switch peeking out. I probably should have left it under the right seat, but I thought I could hide it under the load in the back. I also remounted the steering wheel so it fit in a tube to be removable for squeezing in a driver. That steering wheel was infamous for being angled “right in your lap.”
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

That truck ( jeep :D ) is looking great professor, you have done a fine job on it :clap:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:

Return to “Other Builds”