WCP Jeep-questions and simple build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: WCP Jeep-questions and simple build

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I agree with you Jofaur: I do not believe the receivers are defective at all. What is more, all the instructions and videos agree about the correct way of binding a receiver to the FlySky transmitter. (Here, for example, is yet another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cFSNRG2xfA.) I know that the newer "B" receiver is bound to the transmitter: it comes that way in the box, and its steady red light shows that it it bound correctly. I am now just trying to get the servo to work.

Now as to questioning my knowledge--well I question that all the time. :haha:
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello, the servo is not working on a working RX? Or is this other stuff? otherwise, exact it is often necessary to know how to question oneself, especially with age :D :D
to save time i bought a small servo tester, which is handy and avoids using the radio every time, but think you know :thumbup:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

If you have any problems with esc and servo let me know and I sort them out just send us message across
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

"[T]o save time i bought a small servo tester." Now that sounds handy! I would like to get to a hobby store that specializes in RC. That involves a car and then commuter train trip 150+ Kilometers into Chicago. But the trip is usually an enjoyable outing for a group of modelers, and because of Covid, we are lo-o-ong overdue for anther outing.

Will, don't worry: I cannot think of any reason for there being any problem with the ESC or servo. I am just learning and have to divide my time up among too many hobby projects--some involving magazine articles I write, which articles take me too long to be worth it. :problem:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

After a too long delay, spent in pleasant activity and even some other hobby stuff, I had a minor success this morning. I managed to bind a FSi6 receiver I will need to the Flysky transmitter. I used the ESC already in the little 4X4 and had no problem. (I also bought two inexpensive ESCs, but I need to make sure they are the kind that reduces to 5V.)

I then tried two different servos, flipping levers and turning knobs on the transmitter, but with no result. (I think the servo was on channel 4, but that did not work.) However, baby steps are what I expected, so stay tuned.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Glad to hear the rx has bound and the esc is working.
The servo being dead is still a surprise for me, it doesn't have a little leg which prevents it being inadvertently the eorng way round, so make sure it is plugged in the right way around. I have spares here I can send you to try if that is a fault.
It doesn't matter which channel the steering servo is plugged in as long as the transmitter has control of that channel. So try fitting in ch1, 2, 5 or 6 on the flysky and see if you can get the servo to move ;)

Ch5 on flysky is the turning know on the top left middle and channel 6 is the turning know tip right middle
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I plan to keep trying, Will. Note that I tested the ESC with two different servos, the one in the 4X4 and another one brand new in the box. Neither worked, so I suspect there is really nothing at all wrong with either servo. And the ESC is proving itself to work. So maybe it's just...unh... :shh: operator error.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Here's progress, however slow--since November 23. If you are hurried, just jump to Q1 and Q2.

1) With yet more fiddling and head scratching, I discovered that a new separate servo works fine, whether connected to the FlySky iA6 or iA6B receiver. Contrary to my belief, the servo in the little 4X4 actually did not function.
2) I disassembled the 4X4 just enough to get out the defective servo. On discovering that the Servo was marked "Guo Hua" and "9g," I found online many quite inexpensive little 9g servos. I bought 6 of one brand and 4 of another. I also bought a servo tester, as Jofaur suggested. (The whole bill was less than $45US.) The tester is handy, handy, handy!
3) The servo tester confirmed that the installed servo was not working, even after I tried cleaning the contacts.
4) I found that the steering is a big tight, so I did a bit of cleaning and loosening, but did not overdo it.
5) In installed another 9g servo testing at each step. It worked the steering, except it was not centered. A quick web search of the terms "servo centering" showed me the way to use the tester to center the servo. So I took everything back apart, centered the servo as best as I could, and reassembled.
6) Now the working servo is installed, but it is not as exactly centered as I would like. I could disassemble again and try to re-center the servo, but it isn't clear that I could get any closer, given the gear-like mesh between the servo pinion and the servo arm.

So here are my questions for the next step:

Q1) After centering a servo using a tester, is there a way to even more precisely center a servo by adjusting the transmitter? That is, could I "fine tune" the steering servo through the transmitter in a way similar to the way one "fine tunes" the coordination of track speeds through a hobby grade transmitter or a transmitter such as that provided with a Taigen or HengLong tank?

Q2) Once the servo is centered to my satisfaction, should I use the transmitter to set the "ends" (FlySky's term) or stroke limits (i.e. the percentage of stroke) of the servo so it does not go so far as to cause the servo arm to contact the frame rails or the tires to contact the model?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Morning Professor,

You can use the trim buttons on your radio to make any small adjustments to a servo ie steering, use the trim that corresponds to the channel that the steering servo is on.

If you have a programmable radio or one that is capable of doing this you can set the max throw/movement in each direction for the servo to make sure it does not foul or come into contact with any of the structure. There's no art to this just make small changes in the throw distance until you are happy that it clears everything, hope this helps :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Here's progress, however slow--since November 23. If you are hurried, just jump to Q1 and Q2.

1) With yet more fiddling and head scratching, I discovered that a new separate servo works fine, whether connected to the FlySky iA6 or iA6B receiver. Contrary to my belief, the servo in the little 4X4 actually did not function.
2) I disassembled the 4X4 just enough to get out the defective servo. On discovering that the Servo was marked "Guo Hua" and "9g," I found online many quite inexpensive little 9g servos. I bought 6 of one brand and 4 of another. I also bought a servo tester, as Jofaur suggested. (The whole bill was less than $45US.) The tester is handy, handy, handy!
3) The servo tester confirmed that the installed servo was not working, even after I tried cleaning the contacts.
4) I found that the steering is a big tight, so I did a bit of cleaning and loosening, but did not overdo it.
5) In installed another 9g servo testing at each step. It worked the steering, except it was not centered. A quick web search of the terms "servo centering" showed me the way to use the tester to center the servo. So I took everything back apart, centered the servo as best as I could, and reassembled.
6) Now the working servo is installed, but it is not as exactly centered as I would like. I could disassemble again and try to re-center the servo, but it isn't clear that I could get any closer, given the gear-like mesh between the servo pinion and the servo arm.

So here are my questions for the next step:

Q1) After centering a servo using a tester, is there a way to even more precisely center a servo by adjusting the transmitter? That is, could I "fine tune" the steering servo through the transmitter in a way similar to the way one "fine tunes" the coordination of track speeds through a hobby grade transmitter or a transmitter such as that provided with a Taigen or HengLong tank?

Q2) Once the servo is centered to my satisfaction, should I use the transmitter to set the "ends" (FlySky's term) or stroke limits (i.e. the percentage of stroke) of the servo so it does not go so far as to cause the servo arm to contact the frame rails or the tires to contact the model?
Doh!
I will be in touch with a partial refund for you to apologise for dodgy servo. I have been using those little servos for years now and never had an issue until now, but i will get you a payment sent thru to apologise for the inconvenience. Really sorry for that.

As for the servo centring, don't centre the servo! When you assemble back again you will find the clearance is extremely tight on the front steering arm to the axle housing, therefore i will get pictures sent over. The way the steering arm is designed it doesn't need to be centred. You will also find that most likely the servo will not actually reach full lock and hit the chassis rails. But if it does, on the flysky transmitter you can go in and change the limits oer direction of travel. I can maybe get a video sent thru aswell to show how that is done.
Also the steering arm has a rod end on the end on a threaded rod, so that can be adjusted for length to help with the steering setup.
If the steering is a bit tight, just add a tiny drop of oil on the pivot points and it will loosen right up, but do that after paint and make sure paint is cleared from the holes aswell.
With those little mini metal servos, they are very high torque, so do not try to turn it by hand on the servo horn, if you do you can lock the internal part of the servo and it could jam.

Really am sorry to hear about this, but glad you got to bottom of it and can now move forward. You have picked up some good skills along the way and those servo testers are really good for when setting up new servo drives etc

Please if you have any issues get in contact so can help you thru.
Take care and enjoy
Will
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Other Builds”