RC 1/16 Churchill Mk III - Dieppe Raid 1942 - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Presenting my next build, a Churchill Mk III tank as used during the Dieppe raid of August 19, 1942.

Honestly, i always disliked the Churchill tank very much. It's gun and shape were so outdated even when it entered service. But its the close relationship with the failed Dieppe Raid that makes me dislike it even more as a Canadian. I asked myself why would i then build an RC model of it... My answer is so that i can study what happened, reflect and honour the ones who valiantly lost their life. I will try to build their mount as best as i can.

First, some history,

The Dieppe raid is actually a landing on 4 beaches around the Dieppe port city area. Meant as a diversion to excite the Germans so that they would give a break to the Russians, the raid objectives were limited in scope and much of the burden was shared between the Canadian Army and the British navy and air force. Its execution was terrible and is viewed as a model of what not to do on a landing;
- No element of surprise. The Germans knew something was coming and reinforced the garrison just before the raid.
- No heavy bombing preparation or support by any air force before and during the raid, just light fighter planes... Sir Harris preferred to bomb German civilians than supporting troops.
- No Navy battleship or heavy cruiser bombing preparation or support during the raid, just destroyers with small calibre guns
- Lack of reconnaissance
- Bad planning
- Lack of experience
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
Capture.JPG (75.25 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
This German picture made after the raid represents pretty much what Germans wanted the world to know. The raid was a dramatic failure where no one got off the beach. Not far from the truth but things were a bit more complicated though.
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
I had a chance to visit DIeppe in 2011 with my father on a 2 week roadtrip of European WW1 and WW2 sites in France and Belgium. Not sure if it was because of the weather but i really felt that the Dieppe area is a difficult, dark and very sad place. Why would someone decide to make a raid there... there is a port but it is big enough for small fishing boats, nothing strategic.
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
The shingle beach we heard of. It is far from the nice sand beaches of Normandy. The Dieppe beach is made of round rocks of different sizes. It is difficult even to walk on it.
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
A close up. It is not true that the shingle stopped all Churchill tanks from advancing to the sea wall. It is clear that such rocks can get in between tracks, road wheel and sprockets, and cause a break up of the track. However, out of the 29 Churchill tank that landed in front of Dieppe itself, 2 sank in the sea because they were too far when they left the barge, 12 were bogged down on the beach, either by the shingles or else, and 15 made it to the promenade.
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
When we see a line up of Churchill tanks like this on a Dieppe beach, parallel to the Germans, it is because these are actually operational tanks that made it to the promenade, did fight the whole time, and then came back to the beach later to provide cover for the troops that could re-embark.
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
Many of the Churchill tanks that made it to the promenade had their tracks damaged by German light anti-tank guns and were immobilised. No tanks armor were actually penetrated by German guns, a good news for the crews. They fought until their ammunition were exhausted. The complexity was to escape the immobilized tanks because the side hatches were sealed watertight for the raid.
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
From what i could see, all Churchill tanks did not have track guards on top. This is definitely something of interest that need to be reproduced, with nice tracks. This is unique to the Churchill in early years.
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
The Churchills at Dieppe were not all Mk III. There were a total of seven Mk I, five Mk II and eighteen Mk III used at Dieppe.
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
Why would a one day raid be made directly against a defended city in a frontal assault ? It is clear from this view of a damaged Churchill tank on the promenade that any window of these brick buildings in the back can provide a good emplacement for a German machine gun or sniper, with view over the whole beach, preventing any infantry from advancing with the tanks. The tanks actually spent much of their time and ammo shooting at individual windows where mouvement was spotted.
Dieppe raid
Dieppe raid
continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: RC 1/16 Churchill Mk III - Dieppe Raid 1942 - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

From the beach promenade, all road into town were blocked by heavy gates that the Churchill gun could not destroy. No sappers made it alive to reach the obstacles and destroy them. From this experience, the need for AVRE tanks was defined. In any cases, i do not understand why the planners wanted to enter a city with tanks so that they could be expended in bloody urban warfare where they can be easily trapped and destroyed.

Even myself, entering this town in 2011 with a rental car had lots of issues navigating in this city. Difficult access, small narrow and misleading streets going in all directions, mostly one ways, lots of waterways and bridges, no parking, GPS freaking out. I ended up roaming on the promenade back and forth pretty much like the Churchills did during the raid... looking around and wondering where to go. Could not wait to get out of there.
All Tank Landing Craft (TLC) suffered terrible damage and casualties. Most were destroyed, shot at with machine guns and mortars, full of holes, beached permanently, crew dead, or they sank at sea shortly after having offloaded their 3 Churchill tanks. They were therefore not available later for the re-embarkation of troops or equipment. This led to the vast number of troops left on the beach to be prisoners when no ship could come back for them.
The few scout cars and Bren Carriers did not fare better.
View of my father on Green Beach in front of Pourville where 2 infantry regiments landed, without armor support where they would have been of better use than in front of the large city of DIeppe.
The sea wall of Pourville. It was likely very similar back then. See the high ground in the back. This area is more open and easier to access.
It is easy to see that this hill is where German machine gunners, snipers and observers for artillery and mortars were entrenched. It would have required support from heavy bombers or battleship to clear up the place. It did not happen.
There is a commanding view of Green beach and the whole valley from that hill. The infantry below was able to advance inland but they were on the wrong side of a river and could not reach their objectives. The advancing infantry below suffered terrible casualties during their advance and retreat.
Remains of German fortifications on the hill over green beach.
The Canadian war cemetery and memorial nearby.
Some of the documentation for the build. The GunPower book has good graghics. The french book on the DIeppe raid is the story of the Calgary tank regiment, with a detailed summary of what happened to each tank and landing craft involved. The other book is specific to the Churchill Mk VII and of limited use for this build.
Continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

This is the Ludwigs Churchill Mk VII plasticard basic kit, purchased years ago before DKLM produced their 3D printed Mk VII. As i have no wish to scratch build a Mk VII that is available as a better kit, i have therefore decided to convert the Ludwigs kit into a Mk III, requiring some important changes.
First task was to find good tracks. The Ludwigs kit is proposing the use of Sherman tracks, which is very different. The Mk III is also using an earlier track than the Mk VII.
No way around it. I contacted DKLM and they offered me a set of nice metal Mk VII tracks, they are rare as these are usually 3D printed. There is nothing better so this will do, not perfect but close enough.
As the tracks will be fully exposed all around the tank, these metal tracks will surely look good. It's better than Sherman tracks for sure.
Coming with the tracks are DKLM 3D printed sprockets and idlers. Metal ones were not available.
Shapeways Besa machine guns. Not sure if usable as I need mine to be functional with LEDs and mouvement.
Some of the Ludwigs optional items, including the 3D printed road wheels, suspension parts and exhaust. The gun barrel will need modification to represent the QF 6 pounder of the Mk III. Other items won't be of use.
The 1/35 AFV Club model of the Churchill Mk III at Dieppe is a very important source of information for the build. Very detailed and has working suspension.
Very nice kit, and it contains a nice picture for framing.
The kit parts and instructions provide valuable information for the build, such as the complicated suspension above and under.
Continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Some of the modifications required. In any cases, a Ludwigs kit is like scratch building so it is not really added work.

The Mk III welded turret will need to be studied and reproduced. Pretty strait armoured plates, should be relatively easy to do.
Capture25a.JPG (91.91 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
The frontal area, driver hatch and machinegun mount on Mk III are different that other versions, so is the thickness of the armor.
Side doors are rectangular, not round. Easy mods.
For sure, the Y pipes for the deep wading equipment is required as they are a trademark of the Dieppe Churchill tanks. Notice that this specific tank has a partial track cover aligned with the air intakes.
This is it for now. The build is starting.

Regards, Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Great project and history! It's a pity that there is no second part of GunPower Churchill book about later variants.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

You, sir, are a tank modeling beast. As always I’ll be following your unstoppable tank building blitzkrieg.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

It seems you have front and side pictures of 'Bert'. Are you tempted to model that Churchill?

(Sitting back with coffee to enjoy this).
SEAN66
Private

Post by SEAN66 »

Look Forward to this Build
regards
Sean
H/L Challenger 2
H/L Stug III (Building)
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

The shapeways machine guns have a small tube down the length of the piece. It can be made to work but an optic cable around 1mm thick will be required. I will let you know the exact thickness of optic fibre when I have sorted the ones I have for Cromwell.

As for Churchill I will be watching with interest as I plan on a Mk III Russian or Canadian not yet decided and the MK VII
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Another great project lined up Louis, it's very interesting to see the research and personal experience behind this one. I'm excited to see what you do with Christian's kit, especially with those fantastic DKLM tracks!

Return to “Other Builds”