RC 1/16 Churchill Mk III - Dieppe Raid 1942 - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: RC 1/16 Churchill Mk III - Dieppe Raid 1942 - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

I still have to put the fire extinguishers on the sides and a couple of small details here and there but the Mk III turret is mostly completed. Here is a quick walk around, it is surely a rare sight in 1/16 scale.
The deep wading exhaust stacks were reworked to give the second level a gentle inward slope as seen in reference pictures. I hope it is the last time i have to rework them. They are more solid than anticipated. They were tested for any weakness. They will for sure break if they are hit directly with an object but otherwise, i can lift the deck from them. I just need to be careful.
Overview of the model as it stands today. The tank is getting close to to finish line. I have a few more items to add but it is going very well.

Regards, Louis
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

I'm just going to say, FANTASTIC detail work Louis! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

lmcq11 wrote:I still have to put the fire extinguishers on the sides and a couple of small details here and there but the Mk III turret is mostly completed. Here is a quick walk around, it is surely a rare sight in 1/16 scale.
Rare sight indeed, at least you did not use "pretty" because it ain't! :haha: :haha:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

There are very few silhouettes of AFV's that seem to have an instantly recognisable profile, regardless of a persons inherent knowledge............
This is one of them.
Just the exhausts alone are iconic.
I'm no fan of British armour, but this, this is a triumph of determination and innovation.
I would like to state that the skills, research, and informative narration of all your builds are truly magnificent & I appreciate your continued sharing of them with us.
Its almost a cry for you to produce one of each of the Hobart Funnies to complete the set ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Just spent a little bit of time catching up on this thread, the volume and and quality of work you've done in such a short amount of time is amazing! It's been a very enjoyable read, you really outdo yourself every time Louis.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

How amazing it has been to follow your wizardry, Louis. The Churchhill gets no R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Yet you have done honors to this iconic British tank.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

BarryC wrote:
lmcq11 wrote:I still have to put the fire extinguishers on the sides and a couple of small details here and there but the Mk III turret is mostly completed. Here is a quick walk around, it is surely a rare sight in 1/16 scale.
Rare sight indeed, at least you did not use "pretty" because it ain't! :haha: :haha:

Barry
Is there actually a "pretty" tank out there ? Oh I know, the Panther.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:There are very few silhouettes of AFV's that seem to have an instantly recognisable profile, regardless of a persons inherent knowledge............
This is one of them.
Just the exhausts alone are iconic.
I'm no fan of British armour, but this, this is a triumph of determination and innovation.
I would like to state that the skills, research, and informative narration of all your builds are truly magnificent & I appreciate your continued sharing of them with us.
Its almost a cry for you to produce one of each of the Hobart Funnies to complete the set ;)
Thank you Herman, your worlds are always so profound and mean much to me. Yes, instead of going strait to the results, i try to provide some "how to" details that i think are interesting. It is also important to me to do some research on historic tanks like the Churchill. It has some many versions with different turrets and purposes. Yes, i hope a vendor will sell a good affordable base one day so that i could build an AVRE.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Raminator wrote:Just spent a little bit of time catching up on this thread, the volume and and quality of work you've done in such a short amount of time is amazing! It's been a very enjoyable read, you really outdo yourself every time Louis.
Thank you Raminator for your support over the years. I think this is probably my 70th 1/16 tank build... Do four or five builds per year and it adds up fast. I remember when i use plasticard for the first time 20 years ago while trying to improve the old Glencoe Walker Bulldog. Skills do improve with time and each builds, so is running out of subjects to operate on. That's why i am now mostly doing unique and rare models, stuff people have not seen before. My Tiger and Panther kitbashing days are behind me.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:How amazing it has been to follow your wizardry, Louis. The Churchhill gets no R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Yet you have done honors to this iconic British tank.
Thank you Herr Dr. The fact that this is also a Dieppe build makes me want to honour my fellow Canadians who were sent on a landing raid to perform a frontal assault on a fortified city... I have read quite a bit about the raid. The fact that no Churchill had their armor penetrated did save many lives. Its is surprising to me though that the Canadians were re-equipped with Shermans afterwards.

Return to “Other Builds”