Tiger I Turrets

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Jarlath
Corporal

Tiger I Turrets

Post by Jarlath »

Hey all,
Asking about the inner designs of the various Tiger I turrets by all the manufacturers.

Example HL vs Taigen vs Tamiya, etc...

I am looking into the suggestion of some model specific recoil units (or adaptor kits) to mount into the Tiger I turret, and possibly into other tank designs.
Can anyone tell me if (or show me in images) the upper and lower layout of their turrets?

I'm looking to see if the basic turret layout is similar (aka, screw post locations, internal stiffening sections, and just basic internal layouts).
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tiger I Turrets

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

For the Tamiya Tiger ( a radically different Turret internal layout from those found on HL and Taigen models), you can begin by downloading the build pdf., and checking from p.30 onwards
https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downl ... eitung.pdf
I think it's true to say that a few years ago, HL and Taigen pretty much used the same internal layouts-certainly for airsoft models. Taigen, however, introduced mantlet mods on the Mid-Production Tiger 1 that was equipped with a servo-operated barrel recoil system.
You can get a good look inside the Taigen Turret with the airsoft recoil feature here:
phpBB [video]

Layouts will also differ depending on which recoil unit is fitted. Taigen used the Asiatam style all-in-one unit:
Taigen recoil system
Taigen recoil system
Taigen recoil system.jpg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 489 times
There was another unit shaped like the airsoft gun, that was designed to be a direct replacement..
Anyway, this will get you started, I hope.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Tiger I Turrets

Post by jarndice »

It was Taigens adoption of the Servo recoil system that allowed Taigen to change the Panzer 4 turret such as dropping the rear stowage bin to produce the most accurate PZ4 turret on the Market unfortunately it is still mounted upon one of the most inaccurate PZ4 Tank Bodies.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Other Builds”