An-Bri-RC SU-85

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: An-Bri-RC SU-85

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Very helpful, again. Great tutorial shots too.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tankme

Post by tankme »

As you might also notice the glue on the bottom, I glue the plastic outer T-34 sides where the suspension mounts to the metal tub. You will notice on the Taigen lower that when you actuate the suspension arms that the plastic will pull away from the metal inner tub by the bottom. The glue stops that and stiffens up the whole works. I also reinforce around the bearing area of the drive wheels by filling it in with Miliput. Probably not necessary, but I do this prior to gluing on the sides so for me it's just an extra measure to make sure the bearing mount doesn't crack under load.

Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Thanks for the additional information, tankme. I'll take up Herman's offer of a Taigen roadwheel so I can base it off their bearings and stub axles, that way they should be plug-and-play for anyone with those wheels.

My own T-34 uses Heng Long metal wheels on a Taigen metal chassis (because it was my first tank and I didn't realise they were different and thought I'd save myself fifty bucks), so I've used M3 bolts with 9x3x3 bearings to mount them with a spacer to line them up with the sprockets.
HERMAN BIX wrote:While you are at it, best get the all steel wheel (no outer tyres)versions sorted too ..........
Then , "put another log on the fire " :haha: :haha:
:shifty:
T-34_castwheel_01.jpg
T-34_castwheel_02.jpg
T-34_castwheel_03.jpg
I had already planned to do these, I want six to go on my T-34/76 (along with four early-pattern half-spider cast wheels with tyres). Neither are really SU-85 related, but they'll be next!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Oh yes they are !
Seen a period picture of an SU85 with all steel wheels, plus, references that at one stage during production, they actually ran out of rubber-tyred wheels, so called on stockpiles of steel ones to make do..............
Of course depending on the source of that info, the reliability can vary, but it does stand up that if in 1943 these things are being punched out of factories that had to stop producing T34's to switch over to SU 85's, that there may have been parts available which until there was a supply issue, would not have had a run otherwise :eh:

I will get a pair of Taigen roadwheels off asap & get them to you
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

pics
Attachments
P5260002.JPG
P5260001.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

like this one.................
Attachments
1592968396_-85-na-fronte.jpg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Mixed wheel types were not uncommon on all T34 hulled variants, sometimes by design even, but so much is hearsay. I'm not aware of anyone else printing these so you might just get a few more interested customers.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tankme

Post by tankme »

The steel wheels were used as a full set on the original T-34/76, but from the reading I've done the ride was horrible. That was when they started replacing the first and last roadwheel with a rubber coated one to reduce the harshness of the ride. Eventually that lead to replacing all of the wheels with rubber coated ones, but yes they did use any type of wheel they could get their hands on as replacements. I've even seen the newer starfish T-55 type wheels on T-34 variants.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Another set done. Getting quicker at these! 8)
T-34_halfspider_01.jpg
T-34_halfspider_02.jpg
T-34_halfspider_03.jpg
These are the mid-war half-spider cast rims. There are versions with and without the lightening holes in the middle, I like the look without them a bit more and it helps differentiate them from the late-war full-spider rims.
HERMAN BIX wrote:like this one.................
Nice! It's got the full mixed set, I wonder if they'd come from the factory like that. That's new to me, I've only seen stamped wheels (other than obvious field repairs) on SU-85s before.
General Jumbo01 wrote:Mixed wheel types were not uncommon on all T34 hulled variants, sometimes by design even, but so much is hearsay. I'm not aware of anyone else printing these so you might just get a few more interested customers.
Including the stock HL/Taigen wheels, we've got all four main versions covered; early war stamped, mid-war cast, mid-war half-spider, late war full-spider. Something for everyone!
tankme wrote:The steel wheels were used as a full set on the original T-34/76, but from the reading I've done the ride was horrible. That was when they started replacing the first and last roadwheel with a rubber coated one to reduce the harshness of the ride. Eventually that lead to replacing all of the wheels with rubber coated ones, but yes they did use any type of wheel they could get their hands on as replacements. I've even seen the newer starfish T-55 type wheels on T-34 variants.
My understanding is:

- pre-war and early-war had stamped wheels (similar to the BT-7, A-20 and A-32)
- swapped to the all-steel cast wheels due to rubber shortages mid-war, but the ride was too harsh as you said (despite internal rubber tyres) so these were supplemented front and rear with the half-spiders with tyres
- once Lend Lease was going and rubber was coming in from the US, they were able to swap back to full-spiders with tyres on all 20 rims.

Of course, post-war it's a case of anything goes. Surviving tanks have got all sorts of things installed, including the T-54/55 wheels.

If all goes according to plan I'll try some prints this weekend. I'll share any success or failure!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

And me wanting to use a mix of solid-early, German Panther, and all steel T34 early !!............all on the one limited build-low number '44 SU 85 ??
Who'dve thunk it :shifty:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”