An-Bri-RC SU-85

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: An-Bri-RC SU-85

Post by General Jumbo01 »

That's so much clearer for me, thanks. There's a fair bit of scrap resin using this process then, but it's all about supporting the item while it's being produced.

Regarding the time taken to print, would you consider making one of then and using it to make a mold, then casting further items? Indeed, could you print a mold?

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

A full set of stamped roadwheels for Herman's SU-85 weighs 128 grams, the supports weigh 111 grams. It might seem wasteful to use nearly as much resin supporting the model as the model itself, but you'd end up wasting a lot more resin when the print fails.

There are special casting resins that you can print with, then surround with an investment and burn out to cast your printed item in metal. I don't think my wife would trust me (and quite rightly, too) with molten metal, though! For basic casting in polyurethane or something, you could certainly print a mould. I've also seen some people printing forms for their own injection moulding, which is pretty full on!
General Jumbo01

Molten metal...no, we'd sooner you were in this world than the next! I asked about moulds simply because of the time taken to print lots of the same item but l guess there's not that much in it timewise.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The quality and therefore durability of those wheels looking at the pictures seems plain.
Not expecting to have any roadwheel failures really, basic H/L ones cant be much sturdier surely ?
The SU85 will have one, maybe two Panther roadwheels as replacements(yes, it was a real thing) so the mashup of running gear should present a lot of different challenges.
Solid early roadwheels :thumbup: ................I will just be overjoyed to have them & looking right, I will happily take a chance on durability.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/T34/tam4_02/

A bit more clarity on the Panther roadwheel story.
As I have the picture of the 'SU85 with Panther wheels fitted, Im definitely going to add some onto mine.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Mr Jumbo Sir ................could you please do me a favour and measure the length of barrel from the face of the mantlet to the end of the muzzle on your SU-100.
I have..............a............neeeed :shifty:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01

Mr Bix Sir, not a problem. The barrel protrudes some 235mm regardless of elevation or traverse but changes on recoil! Although the final resting place of the barrel is determined by the one-off fabrication of the universal joint mounting and recoil servo arm, l made sure that the position was the same as the original kit position so if the kit manufacturer got it right then 235mm should do it. If you are fabricating a barrel then note it swells in diameter as it approaches the mantlet.

Hope that helps - are you now building one?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

It sure does help mate, thanks.
Let’s just say, I’ve acquired a project :shifty: :shh:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”