An-Bri-RC SU-85

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: An-Bri-RC SU-85

Post by Raminator »

Cheers Brett, I think a lot of my problems have been caused by overconfidence. I jumped in the deep end a bit here, there was a lot I should have learned before trying to make complex functional parts out of engineering resin. Slowly making progress, though!
IMG20210725114552.jpg
After an hour or two sanding the surfaces that are visible or contact the tracks, I've got my T-34 sat on a full set of printed wheels (the front and rearmost have printed early-style tyres too). I might finally get off my arse and finish the damn thing before Herman forcibly adopts it! :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Just completed mine too. The flash, recoil and IR set certainly filled the small turret but to my surprise it all works really well. If you look close you'll spot that l've fitted a rather more discrete IR detector module, home brew, that's at least as good as the original Taigen apple but somewhat smaller.

I will apply my normal lightweight weathering this afternoon, nothing more than a light rain shower over a dusty body!

Now, the road wheels. They are Taigen metal on axles one and five and modified ballraced Trumpeter wheels on two to four. I doubt you'd find better but your printed ones look just as fine - a genuine well done.

Regards your front and rear roadwheels off the ground, just reduce the track tension a little. It does look a little tight but that's how Taigen supply them. I add a pair of links each side then adjust the tension and all is good. ImageImage

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

2 very nice looking T34's
General Jumbo01

Thank you, l certainly enjoyed building mine :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

How are you going with your test running Mr Ram ?
Just so you know, I am happy to paint the wheels on that T34 once you give up & let me buy it :shifty: ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
General Jumbo01

Oh come on HB, ease the pressure and build one of your own! Mines in bits again due to a well hidden malfunction in the firing system. Those turrets are tiny :(

This delaying my IR conversion to my Torro KV. So much to do......Image

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

C'mon Herman - you know you want to.

I have the HL T34/85 and the Trumpeter 1943 '76 stashed in the cupboard for the day when the long list of other projects are completed.

Its one of the few affordable conversions available to us with the South Pacific peso.
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

HERMAN BIX wrote:How are you going with your test running Mr Ram ?
Just so you know, I am happy to paint the wheels on that T34 once you give up & let me buy it :shifty: ;)
No progress in a long while, I've been waiting nearly eight weeks for the reinforcement bracket to come back from a local machinist's shop. There's other stuff I could have done in the meantime but I've been tired and unmotivated after work lately. I'll have to get my arse into gear and get back at it!

At least I know I won't have to paint... ;)
General Jumbo01

Our hobby, like so many other creative distractions from real life, require us to be 'in the mood'. That means there will be gaps, some significant, when nothing is built. However, that's better than forcing yourself to work, when you know it will just all go wrong! That's the difference between a hobby and paid work. You do it because you want to.

Chill! ;)
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Yep, definitely. I need to get into the habit of moving on to something new when those moods hit instead of trying to force myself to continue. As you say, it's a hobby, we do it for the enjoyment!

Spent a few evenings over the last week or so catching up on a few nagging little jobs on the T-34 while waiting for the reinforcements and upgrades for the printer to finally arrive. I really wanted the fuel tanks back on after I broke and lost the kit photoetch, so I finished off some stronger brass replacements. Drilled and pinned with Aber faux bolts.
IMG20210908170116.jpg
IMG20210908171512.jpg
The other important detail that got lost down the laundry sink was the antenna mount, I drew one up based on photos and blueprints:
T-34_antenna_mount.png
Printed in Siraya Tech Blu:
IMG20210908170146.jpg
Drilled to accept the old metal antenna and dry fit in place:
IMG20210908171426.jpg
I've got all of the reinforcements and upgrades installed on the printer, it probably weighs twice as much as it used to. The printer's all made out of aluminium and plastic, but now it's got a huge bracket made of 304 stainless holding the Z-axis in position. First few prints are looking promising, so I should be able to get those wheels I owe Herman for the SU-85 done soon!

Return to “Other Builds”